• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Custom Pre-Defined Character Choices

Eexcellent! I'll be looking forward to having those guys in the game too. :woot

Characters still to be added at the very least:
- French Navy Officer
- French non-navy character (optional)
- Spanish Navy Officer
- Spanish non-navy character (optional)
- Portuguese Navy Officer
- Portuguese non-navy character (optional)

Ideally at least 1-2 of these should be set in the Revolutions time period so that one might find at least a bit more use.... :wp

Below some related quotes from earlier in this discussion:
As for characters for other nations, in the absence of anything better and since fictional characters are allowed, how about picking NPC's from any storyline and making them playable? Off the top of my head, for no reason other than that I've recently played "Bartolomeu o Portugues" and am now replaying "Assassin", Spain could get Enrique Padilla and Portugal could get Augusto Queiroz. Starting dates for both are between 1660 and 1665; Padilla gets "SP_Galeon50" named Gloriosa, Queiroz gets "PO_FastNavy" named A Faisca. Other data can be found in "PROGRAM\Storyline\Assassin\characters\init\TempQuest.c" and "PROGRAM\Storyline\Bartolomeu\characters\init\TempQuest.c" respectively.
Good thinking! Those two are already named in initModels.c anyway so that just requires adding a few more lines.
They're both navy characters, right?
I'm not sure about Padilla. Queiroz certainly is - that ship is the one which Bartolomeu is temporarily given for the "Hunter" chapter, with Queiroz becoming his first officer for the voyage. Padilla uses the galleon to get to Oranjestad and when he's supposed to collect Roxanne Lalliere, otherwise he generally appears on land, so he could be either army or navy. And looking at your stats above, you have more need of another army character than another navy character. ;)
Something for you to read...
Amaro Rodriguez Felipe, alias Amaro Pargo
Jose Gaspar
Henri Caesar

The first two are Spanish pirates - the stories are highly apocryphal and contain no specific data about ships used, and the one about Amaro Pargo is written in somewhat irregular English that indicates it is not the author's first language. The story about Jose Gaspar is suitably colourful for a pirate character and puts his career between 1783 and 1821.

Henri Caesar was born to a slave family on Hispaniola, joined the revolution which saw the island become independent from France in 1804 (and, incidentally, plays merry havoc with our "Revolutions" and "Napoleonic" periods), then captured a Spanish ship in 1805 and pursued a successful pirate career until 1830. He'd probably count as French Rebel for game purposes and would therefore simultaneously give us a second French character, a second Rebel character and a second non-white character.
Anyone willing to set this up and save me the trouble of doing it? It is quite easy; explanation in initModels.c .
For navy characters with specific starting ships, NK.c might need to be updated as well, but that is purely optional.

If you have any character-specific wishes that are not currently supported by the Free Play scenarios, let me know so that we can figure something out. :doff

Would be nice also to see Hayreddin Barbarossa (Redbeard), Reis brothers and other Ottoman admirals make their way to the New world and seek fortune there :p

Would be nice also to see Hayreddin Barbarossa (Redbeard), Reis brothers and other Ottoman admirals make their way to the New world and seek fortune there :p
I agree! That would also give an excuse to set the "Xebec3" as a starting ship for that character as that one was meant to be Barbarossa's with sails to match.
I don't think we have any character models that would look appropriate though.

Hey, you could join our COVER ART CONTEST and convince @Jack Rackham to make Barbarossa as a character model for you! That'd be cool! :cheers
See here for details: https://www.facebook.com/PiratesAhoyCommunity

That would be cool.. the closest thing resembling Redbeard is Edward Mansfeld.. he was the last character I played this week before my save files kept crashing.. and he damn well could be a Russian, a Ottoman, English, or Dutch even lol

I'll check out the art contest.. will post some of the ones I uploaded here.

For the xebec though .. on COAS there's a quest where you have to hunt a smuggler called Blue Xebec and once you have this ship, you own the game.. it's the fastest and fiercest thing ever to exist in the Caribbean sea.. when it's full modded at shipyard, I managed to take down huge treasure convoys. But that kind of xebec maybe it's a bit too "AC4" for reality :p

For the xebec though .. on COAS there's a quest where you have to hunt a smuggler called Blue Xebec and once you have this ship, you own the game.. it's the fastest and fiercest thing ever to exist in the Caribbean sea.. when it's full modded at shipyard, I managed to take down huge treasure convoys. But that kind of xebec maybe it's a bit too "AC4" for reality :p
The Assassin Storyline features a very nice Xebec. But not quite over-the-top like that.
We don't have any ships without disadvantages. It all depends on what you can make the best use of. :cheeky

I'll check out the art contest.. will post some of the ones I uploaded here.
It does involve a bit more creativity. But hey, might be fun! :cheers

Yea a little photoshop on some of the screenshots won't hurt!
But do I just post on the page? I don't see anyone posting any for the contest.. most uploaded pics are before the June announcement post

Yea a little photoshop on some of the screenshots won't hurt!
But do I just post on the page? I don't see anyone posting any for the contest.. most uploaded pics are before the June announcement post
We're still trying to encourage people. :cheeky

You can post on the forum here or on the page there. Doesn't matter as long as it reaches us.

Well everything I have is uploading here on screenshot, but it won't hurt to post edited screenshots on FB for the main contest.. you can tell the guy who manages the page to excuse me for the photo spamming that will occur in the next day or two :pp

Anyway now time for bed; thanks a lot for working on the updates and for your time. Enjoy your evening.

Would be nice if you can make a tiny frenchman and we can call him napoleon :D

if you're planning on 1800s characters, then Duke of Wellington is a popular choice for the british

Would be nice if you can make a tiny frenchman and we can call him napoleon :D

if you're planning on 1800s characters, then Duke of Wellington is a popular choice for the british
Please re-read the post I just linked to. More English characters is most assuredly NOT what we need. :no

For the characters, we need someone to actually set them up in the code as per the opening post.

What can be noted (if I didn't forgot to include it) is that some characters start with a changed disposition to smugglers. When playing as a navy officer you will find it hard to deal with smugglers from the start for example.

I updated the opening post to indicate what I still want to see done before a final Beta 3.5 release.
Should be quite simple to do by pretty much anyone. The opening post already explains how.
So if anyone is interested.... Pretty please.................. :rolleyes:

I'm playing around with the Free Play "Custom Start" code again to make it a bit cleaner:
Code:
    case "Custom_Start":
       DeleteQuestHeader("Tutorial_AppearedOnIsland"); // PB: No need
       DeleteAttribute(&PChar,"vcskip"); // NK 04-06

if(CheckCharacterItem(PChar, "Spyglass1") == 0)           GiveItem2Character(PChar, "Spyglass1");
       if(CheckCharacterItem(PChar, "medical1") == 0)           TakeNItems(PChar, "medical1", 2); // PB
       if(CheckCharacterItem(PChar, PChar.start_weapon.blade) == 0)   GiveItem2Character(PChar, PChar.start_weapon.blade);
       if(CheckCharacterItem(PChar, PChar.start_weapon.gun) == 0)     GiveItem2Character(PChar, PChar.start_weapon.gun);
       DeleteAttribute(PChar, "start_weapon");

EquiPCharacterbyItem(PChar, FindCharacterItemByGroup(&PChar, BLADE_ITEM_TYPE));
       EquiPCharacterbyItem(PChar, FindCharacterItemByGroup(&PChar, GUN_ITEM_TYPE));
       EquiPCharacterbyItem(PChar, FindCharacterItemByGroup(&PChar, SPYGLASS_ITEM_TYPE));

//JRH ammo mod --->
       if (ENABLE_AMMOMOD) {   // LDH change
         if(CheckCharacterItem(PChar, "gunpowder") > 0)     TakeNItems(PChar, "gunpowder", -12);
         if(CheckCharacterItem(PChar, "gunpowder") == 0)     TakeNItems(PChar, "gunpowder", 6);
         if(CheckCharacterItem(PChar, "pistolbullets") > 0)   TakeNItems(PChar, "pistolbullets", -12);
         if(CheckCharacterItem(PChar, "pistolbullets") == 0)   TakeNItems(PChar, "pistolbullets", 6);
       }
       //JRH ammo mod <---

// Define Start Nation Port and Questbook Header
       iNation = GetServedNation();
       bool GiveShip = true;
       switch(CharPlayerType)
       {
         case PLAYER_TYPE_NAVAL_OFFICER:
           questRecord = "Navy_Continue";
           GiveShip = false;                             // Already done elsewhere
         break;

case PLAYER_TYPE_ROGUE:
           questRecord = "embora";
           iNation = PERSONAL_NATION;                         // Triggers La Croix opening further down
         break;

case PLAYER_TYPE_GAMBLER:
           questRecord = "embora";
           iNation = PERSONAL_NATION;                         // Triggers La Croix opening further down
         break;

case PLAYER_TYPE_AGENT:
           questRecord = "Agent_Continue";
           if (GetMySimpleName(PChar) == "Jean Lafitte" && GetCurrentPeriod() >= PERIOD_REVOLUTIONS)
           {
             iNation = AMERICA;
             SetServedNation(iNation);
             SetActualRMRelation(iNation, REP_LEAVEMIN);               // Encourage play for America
           }
           iNation = FindEnemyNation2Nation(iNation);
         break;

case PLAYER_TYPE_CURSED:
           questRecord = "Cursed_Continue";
           if(CheckCharacterItem(PChar, "Davy_Chest"))
             iNation = PERSONAL_NATION;
           else
           {
             iNation = rand(NATIONS_QUANTITY-1);
             GiveShip = false;                           // Extra challenge
           }
         break;

case PLAYER_TYPE_CORSAIR:
           questRecord = "Corsair_Continue";
         break;
       }

// Reload to Appropriate Port
       if (NationNoIsland(iNation, GetCurrentPeriod()))
       {
         loadPort = "Tortuga_Port";
         gotoGroup = "reload";
         rldLocator = "reload2_back";
       }
       else
       {
         switch(iNation)
         {
           case ENGLAND:
             loadPort = "Redmond_port";
             gotoGroup = "reload";
             rldLocator = "Sea_2_back";
             break;
           case FRANCE:
             loadPort = "Falaise_de_fleur_port_01";
             gotoGroup = "reload";
             rldLocator = "sea";
             break;
           case SPAIN:
             loadPort = "Muelle_port";
             gotoGroup = "reload";
             rldLocator = "reload1_back";
             break;
           case PIRATE:
             loadPort = "QC_port";
             gotoGroup = "reload";
             rldLocator = "reload1";
             break;
           case HOLLAND:
             loadPort = "Douwesen_port";
             gotoGroup = "reload";
             rldLocator = "reload2";
             break;
           case PORTUGAL:
             loadPort = "Conceicao_port";
             gotoGroup = "reload";
             rldLocator = "reload2";
             break;
           case AMERICA:
             loadPort = "Eleuthera_Port";
             gotoGroup = "reload";
             rldLocator = "reload1_back";
             break;
           case PERSONAL_NATION:
             switch(CharPlayerType)
             {
               case PLAYER_TYPE_CURSED:
                 loadPort = "KhaelRoa_port";
                 gotoGroup = "Quest_Ships";
                 rldLocator = "Quest_Ship_5";
               break;
               //default:
               loadPort = "Cuba_shore_03";
               gotoGroup = "reload";
               rldLocator = "locator5";
             }
           break;
         }
       }
       loadTown = FindIslandByLocation(loadPort);
       PlaceFleetNearShore(loadPort);

SafePortLeave(iNation); // Hoist False Flag if Required
       if(GiveShip)
       {
         GiveShip2Character(PChar,PChar.ship.type,PChar.ship.name,-1,GetServedNation(),true,true); // PB: Instantly repair and resupply ship
       }
       else
       {
         SetCharacterGoods(PChar, CharGood1, 0); // dumps your cargo // KK
         SetCharacterGoods(PChar, CharGood2, 0); // KK
       }

if (gotoGroup == "Quest_Ships")
       {
         LAi_QuestDelay(questRecord, 0.0);     // starts the next case
         QuestToSeaLogin_PrepareLoc(loadTown, gotoGroup, rldLocator, true);
         QuestToSeaLogin_Launch();
       }
       else
         DoQuestReloadToLocation(loadPort, gotoGroup, rldLocator, questRecord);
     break;
Additionally, you will now get a fully repaired and supplied ship on most of these to save you the trouble of fixing that on every game start.
There are a couple of exceptions for added challenge (and to prevent navy officers getting their ships twice).

One thing I'd like to add is for some of these player types to receive some contraband goods at game start.
Then at least they get *something* but it'll be a bit of challenge actually getting your money's worth.
So here's my question @Levis: Do you know of a function that returns a random contraband good for a specific island?

Back