• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Dead is Dead Challenge

Aphil

Landlubber
Pirates, Privateers and other assorted Naval characters of Pirates Ahoy.

I know I'm a new member, but I take the risk of bring you the Dead is Dead gameplay story challenge. It's purely for fun and relies on a great deal of honesty on the part of those involved but I personally think it's a nice way to spice things up.

Here's what's involved in the challenge.

1. Start a new character on whatever difficulty, settings, ect. you want and make sure to include that information in your first post.
2. Tell a story of your adventures, perhaps even try roleplaying as your character and creating a story from his/her perspective. Pictures are a bonus.
3. If your character dies, that's it. If you make a mistake, no reloading unless it's bug related. The point of Dead is Dead is to live with your mistakes. If you still want to play your character after it dies, obviously you can but assume the "story" for the character is done in regards to the challenge.

I'm genuinely interested in seeing the fun stories and little mistakes people can make that they normally reload to fix and seeing how they cope with having to deal with that.

I hope you guys are interested, I look forward to reading your stories and perhaps when I get better at this game I'll make an entry myself.

Hello m8,

It's a fun suggestion. The way of playing would surely greatly differ from any of the standard variants you can enjoy the game. At earlier stages I could imagine it could have a great negative effect even, making you a paranoid merchandise transporter just to save a little on the side. :shock
I'll definitely have a go at a later time though, after I'm satisfied with my current campaign.

Regards, and do post if you are attempting this, I am curious.
It's not on-topic this, I know, but nonetheless to keep the ball rolling.

Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to look through the post. I'm glad that you think it's a good idea. I've recently deleted my latest save as I often do whenever the whim strikes me. Not very conductive of course but it keeps things interesting. Since I'll be starting a new game I think I'll participate in the challenge myself, though I do foresee that it might be a very short story. Still, it should be interesting to see what happens!

I look forward to reading your stories and perhaps when I get better at this game I'll make an entry myself.

Well generally speaking this is a good idea, with one exception.
Some quests can be VERY DIFFICULT even if you know what you are doing, and are high enough in level.
Seward.ru had a nasty habit of throwing EXTREME curveballs without warning that made things so unrealistic, it required you to be superhuman.
On top of all this, if you set your difficulty level to high (Admiral or above) some quests become impossible and require god mode.
"Tenochtitlan" (parts), "Enchanted City" (parts), "Ascold Quest" (parts) and "Invasion of Panama" come to mind, and don't let anyone tell you differently unless you just like to reload your game 1000+ times.

If you stay away from extreme quests, this can be considered a game of skill, tactics, and a little bit of luck.
See "How is your story going" if you want to see some of the adventures of others.
Captain Baron Jack Wolfe (Level 43) and his merry band of adventurers continue to plunder on...

You're right, I admit I never really considered that possibility as I never really focused on the quests in this game and instead opted to sort of do my own thing for the majority of the time.

I suppose the general idea behind this is to take otherwise generic events and turn them into an interesting story as you'd have to deal with any consequences if you make a mistake like losing a valued officer or if you go way over your head and die. Maybe I'll contribute to the my story though with the same idea behind this, with the exception of reloading on death so I can keep playing but if I make a mistake I'll have to deal with that.

Well, I thought it was a good idea but I suppose Dead is Dead in this game might not be the same as in maybe X3 just because of the way the game is structured.

Well, I can safely say that CoAS isn't very Dead is Dead friendly. I can barely get past the first hour or two on just about any difficulty without dying, given how it's sometimes hard to get started and even in some of the higher difficulties you can be killed extremely easily if you're not careful. :(

Back