• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Devlin Opera for the 65742th time

I don't even know what COL files do exactly. Do they set the natural lighting?

The location looks fine, just a bit "VCO" of course. At night it is relatively bright. I was thinking of a task that requires you to collect herbs or plants that glow at night. That should be possible by placing locators as light sources?

I'm lso going to look into the other VCO location, but some of the textures seem to be in a different folder. I need to find them first.

Do they set the natural lighting?
Yes.

At night it is relatively bright.
Maybe that will be better if you go for the "namechanging program" of the COL files.
Right now POTC doesn't read the VCO COL files you've got there. I can't explain why some models looks ok anyway though.

Okay, but there are even five COL files per 1001029/Tree/Xiao.
Numbers 0-4

EDIT: I just renamed 0-3 and it looks now a bit more blue and "sparkling" and less green and bland. Haven't seen it at night yet.

Last edited:
When importing textures check that it dosen't exists a texture file already in POTC with the same name. If so rename the new one and change it in Hex editor.
Next question already:

When I use GM viewer to look at VCO location 502/001 and set the textures to 502/001, I get half the place textured. When I set the textures to just TEXTURES\scene, I get the other textures. Meaning the missing textures are in the overall scene folder. But there are a lot of files there. Can I figure out which ones are the ones I need, so I don't have to copy every texture outside of the numbered folders into PotC?

Can I figure out which ones are the ones I need, so I don't have to copy every texture outside of the numbered folders into PotC?
Yes, you can see it in the red marked window.
GM-viewer.jpg

Yes, you can see it in the red marked window.
Great! This even helps a lot with the other location, 1001029, because there I moved instead of copied all the textures and because of that completely lost track which are the new textures. Now I can separate them in a Devlin Opera only folder as well.

I'm going to put the models and textures of 502 into PotC tonight, and then I guess I'll probably need a walk patch.ptc again. In 1001029/Sacred Forest I already started making some locators.

I've copied the neccessary textures and it looks fully textured now in PotC.

This is "shore_ship2". I still need to figure out how to use it best, but it still looks as interesting and fitting for the game as it did when it first caught my attention years ago.

shore_ship2.png

I'll fix the walk_patch but I guess there could be an invisible stop going to/from the bridge.
If so I can later make a work around for it.
Now I can separate them in a Devlin Opera only folder as well.
I don't think that's a good idea because if other VCO locations that also use those textures are added later we have to double the textures in POTC.
It's different if it's a retexture of an existing location. Then the textures may need to be in a folder of it's own.

I don't think that's a good idea because if other VCO locations that also use those textures are added later we have to double the textures in POTC.
It's different if it's a retexture of an existing location. Then the textures may need to be in a folder of it's own.
I don't mean to have any textures twice in the game for no reason. I just mean a completely separate folder with all the Devlin Opera stuff that I can upload here for inclusion in future updates. Because it also doesn't make any sense to upload my entire game folder. Just the stuff I added.

So far I couldn't get into the second location in-game (black screen), maybe it's because of the walk_patch or I just did the location file wrong. That's what I came up with so far:

Code:
    Locations[n].filespath.models = "locations\Outside\Shore_Ship2";

Locations[n].id = "Wreckage Cove";
    locations[n].id.label = "Wreckage Cove";
    Locations[n].image = "Outside_Jungle_6.tga";
    //Sound
    locations[n].type = "OP_Road";
    LAi_LocationMonstersGen(&locations[n], false);
    LAi_LocationSetMonstersTime(&locations[n], 22, 6);

//Models
    //Always
    Locations[n].models.always.locators = "locator_shoreship2";
    //Locations[n].models.always.jungle = "Jungle06";
    //Locations[n].models.always.grassPatch = "gr1001029";
    Locations[n].models.always.exit = "1502001";
    Locations[n].models.always.l1 = "tree";

//Day
    Locations[n].models.day.charactersPatch = "walk_patch";
    //Night
    Locations[n].models.night.charactersPatch = "walk_patch";
    //Environment
    Locations[n].environment.weather = "true";
    Locations[n].environment.sea = "false";
    //Reload map

Locations[n].island = "Aruba"; // NK 04-08-29
    n = n + 1;

There's just "1502001" and "tree", not "xiao" like in the other one. Environment.sea should be "true" probably and the locator I'm trying to teleport to is "start" in group "locator" (in the first one, it was "stat" with no R).

I misunderstood what you meant with one folder.
Here's the walk_patch.ptc for 502/001.

Yes sea should be "true".

Attachments

• walk_patch 502_001.7z
    353.8 KB · Views: 44
Thanks for the walk_patch.ptc @Jack Rackham

I now got it to work in PotC. There still seem to be missing textures. Around some of the bushes, there are grey untextured pieces (see picture).

Also the water level of the sea is a little bit too high. The scattered boats are flooded and the water gets behind the first small hill. But I think the water level can be adjusted in PotC?

Otherwise it's now just a matter of me coming up with interesting stuff....

shore_ship2_miss_text.png

The water level is always = 0. But if the .gm models can be opened with the TOOL we can lift them up a little instead.
Can you please check if there's a problem getting on to the bridge at the seashore.

I could walk on the little landing bridge without a problem and everywhere else.

The bigger problem is where to put reload locators to go/come from inland, because the paths mostly end just in front of rocks, I had to look for corners that look like you could come from there. Didn't work yet yesterday evening to enter the location (leaving works), perhaps I need to switch reload1 and reload1_back.

If any, the water level would need to be lowered instead of lifted up because the water looks more like it's a bit too high.

If any, the water level would need to be lowered instead of lifted up because the water looks more like it's a bit too high.
I see, but we can only fix it by lifting the land up.
If you upload all your files concerning ShoreShip2 and I can see what I can do.

Didn't work yet yesterday evening to enter the location
Maybe just the wrong name in console.c

I can upload the files, bur probably not before tomorrow afternoon.

Entering the location with console.c works, but not the locator I assigned to come in from the jungle.

About the missing textures above, I guess I also still need to check tree.gm in GM viewer for required textures, since I only checked 502001.gm.

I have added the missing textures and renamed the COL files.

This ZIP folder includes
- The MODEL\Locations\outside folder
- The textures of both Sacred Forest and Shore Ship 2 (Now there are a few that should already be in PotC but I've lost track again while copying them between VCO, PotC and a separate folder. When you copy the textures into PotC and it says that such a file already exists, just skip all the ones that are there already!)
- The file where I have defined the location, now with a fixed entry locator (never mind that I stole your Sulphur Distillery ;) I'm experimenting if I could use the original location as a temple)

If it all works, you can maybe see that the water level is a bit too high and floods the stranded boats and sometimes makes even little "sea puddles" appear further inland.

EDIT: The uploaded file is too large? o_O WeTransfer it is, then

In the meantime:

Does the Arawak village on Aruba in Early Explorer serve any purpose? Since the same location model is already used as an Indian village in "Ardent" and as Columbus' camp in "Devlin Opera" just a bit earlier, I'd like to replace it with "Indian Village2". The question is just, whether this should be a universal change or Devlin Opera only.

This ZIP folder includes
- The MODEL\Locations\outside folder
- The textures of both Sacred Forest and Shore Ship 2 (Now there are a few that should already be in PotC but I've lost track again while copying them between VCO, PotC and a separate folder. When you copy the textures into PotC and it says that such a file already exists, just skip all the ones that are there already!)
- The file where I have defined the location, now with a fixed entry locator (never mind that I stole your Sulphur Distillery ;) I'm experimenting if I could use the original location as a temple)
Where do I find the model of the forest?

Does the Arawak village on Aruba in Early Explorer serve any purpose? Since the same location model is already used as an Indian village in "Ardent" and as Columbus' camp in "Devlin Opera" just a bit earlier, I'd like to replace it with "Indian Village2". The question is just, whether this should be a universal change or Devlin Opera only.
Apart from being the original source for both the locations in "Ardent" and "Devlin Opera", I believe the original Arawak village is used in at least one other storyline. Leave it as it is, please. But if you have a new model "Indian Village 2", I could perhaps use that for "Ardent".

Your new quest there owes its existence to that village! Aruba was previously entirely blocked in "Early Explorers". I did a lot of work to open it up, replace Oranjestad Port with Sandy Beach, change the icon on the worldmap and rearrange reloads to bypass Oranjestad town, just so that early explorers could visit the village.

Where do I find the model of the forest?
I haven't uploaded it yet. This was just for @Jack Rackham to check the water level.

Is the Arawak village also in later periods? I somehow thought it was just in Early Explorers and thus couldn't be in any other storyline. But of course I can replace it just in DO.

Or do you mean I shouldn't change it at all? Well, at least I'd have to switch the original inhabitants (all of which have dutch shipyard owner voice clips) for quest characters.

"Indian Village 2" is already in the game. It' the same as "Indian Village", except for the fact that one has huts/tents and the other is just the empty location, for some reason.

Back