• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Devlin Opera for the 65742th time

BathtubPirate

Privateer
Storm Modder
Alright, I've already mentioned it quietly. I'd like to work on the Devlin Opera, or at least try what I can do.

You may wonder what makes me different than all the ones before me who wanted to add to that basically non-existing storyline... Well, nothing really. But like I said, I can try and learn. I'd say I have a solid understanding of the game code although I would have a lot of questions, especially when it comes to the intricacies of the mod.

Here are a few already:
1) In the other thread @Jack Rackham made the talking head for BeatriceB, :onya could you send me the one for BeatriceA that you have but isn't in the mod? Also, would it be possible to add another talking head for Blaze Devlin?

2) Also mostly to Jack: Your characters like Woodes Rogers or Edgar Allan Poe have their own unqiue voice clips, where did you get them? I want to add some voices too but don't know where to get them and could use some inspiration...

3) I don't understand the initQuestItems code at all: I'm trying to add a treasure map that you get together with the letter. With copy paste it looks like that:

Code:
void InitQuestItems()
{
    int n = QUESTITEMS_QUANTITY;

//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    // QUEST ITEMS
    //------------------------------------------------------------------------------------O---------QUEST SETTINGS---------------------------O------
    // QUEST ITEMS: ItmIndex                                                   picIndex   |            startLocation , startLocator          |
    //                  | itmID                                     modelID           |     | setshown   |      useLocation , useLocator       |
    //                  |  |                txtname                    |  picTexture  |     | | shownval |      |           quest , tex , pic  |
    //----------------|--|-------------------|-----------------------|----------|---|-----O-|-|--------|------|-----------|------------------O------
    n = InitQuestItem(n,"a_letter",        "a_letter",            "",            4,    3,        0,0,    "","",    "","",        "","",""
    n = InitQuestItem(n,"first_part_map",        "first_part_map",            "",            4,    3,        0,0,    "","",    "","",        "","",""    );

QUESTITEMS_QUANTITY = n;
}
What do all the variables mean, including the empty ones? The 3 is the icon for the inventory, I figured that out, but I don't know the rest. Right now when I give them both to the character, I only get the new one (map overwrites letter?).

I'd like to work on the Devlin Opera, or at least try what I can do.
Awesome!
Even if you manage to add only a little bit, it'll still be substantially more than we have now.

I always felt like it was quite a promising start.
Some fun characters in there. ;)

Right now when I give them both to the character, I only get the new one (map overwrites letter?).
Do I see correctly the ); is missing from the end of that first line?
That could explain it.

What do all the variables mean, including the empty ones? The 3 is the icon for the inventory, I figured that out, but I don't know the rest.
If you set your text editor to tab=4 spaces, the header lines should line up and explain the variables.

Most are not important.
There can be quest stuff linked to the item itself.
But I think that's used exactly once; in the original storyline; for the item you place in the temple at the end.

Do I see correctly the ); is missing from the end of that first line?
That could explain it.
Yesssss, the window extended beyond the screen so I didn't copy the whole line.

If you set your text editor to tab=4 spaces, the header lines should line up and explain the variables.
I don't understand what you mean by tap=4 spaces. Btw, I still use Notepad, but gonna upgrade on Notepad++ as soon as possible.

Where are the inventory icons in RESOURCE, and how do I know which one relates to which number in initQuestItems? So that I can change a good icon for the map.

EDIT: I think I've got that one!

Last edited:
could you send me the one for BeatriceA that you have but isn't in the mod?
It's BeatriceA that is in the mod. I'm sorry but I have deleted the BeatriceB files. This because I didn't think it was interesting
any longer as Jacob had some other idea.

Also, would it be possible to add another talking head for Blaze Devlin?
Not sure as he's an AOP/COAS/TEHO character. And my trick with making all but
the head invisible not always works.
have their own unqiue voice clips, where did you get them?
:pflag
See if this link works http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/JRH/ref 1 voice.7z

And about your letter and treasure map they point to the same picture?

It's BeatriceA that is in the mod. I'm sorry but I have deleted the BeatriceB files. This because I didn't think it was interesting
any longer as Jacob had some other idea.
What did you delete? If it's just BeatriceB, I have the files.
To clarify:
Beatrice (Red hair and pirate coat) - has a talking head
BeatriceA (Red hair and white top) - has the talking head of Beatrice, but you seem to have the correct one and said you're gonna include in in the next update. See Posts 42 and 43 here: Need Help - Adding New Beatrice
BeatriceB (Brown hair and black top) - has a talking head
Devlin (their brother) - doesn't have a talking head
Not sure as he's an AOP/COAS/TEHO character. And my trick with making all but
the head invisible not always works.
To be honest, I was kinda hoping you could help me out there. It's the one additional head I need (because it seems like you have BeatriceA and I have BeatriceB) and I have the feeling it would be a waste of time if I tried to figure out how to do it myself. If it doesn't take too much time I would be very glad if you could try it...

It does work. You mean I could use some of those voice clips if they suit me?

And about your letter and treasure map they point to the same picture?
Not anymore, that's what I was figuring out yesterday. I know now how to assign the images for the inventory.

You mean I could use some of those voice clips if they suit me?
Use what you want. It's part of my sound library.

I misunderstood, here's the new white dressed BeatriceA head. Lucky you've got the "B" head and texture I deleted. :yes

If you need new images for items I've got a library for that too. ;)

Ok, I give Devlin a chance and try to make a talking head.

Attachments

• h_BeatriceA.7z
    29.4 KB · Views: 272
Yesssss, the window extended beyond the screen so I didn't copy the whole line.
Ah.
Oh.
Couldn't have been that easy, eh? :facepalm

I don't understand what you mean by tap=4 spaces. Btw, I still use Notepad, but gonna upgrade on Notepad++ as soon as possible.
Notepad++ should help.
If I recall, that should have one Tab equal 4 Spaces by default.
If not, you can change it in the settings.

I always felt like it was quite a promising start.
Some fun characters in there. ;)
Yes, although I don't really want to keep the aspect of choosing a companion because 1) it seems to be very complicated to have like 12 different storylines for all of them, 2) it seems a bit like a joke that was funny 10 years ago (with the modders and all) and 3) most of them are in Hoist the Colours already. I still want to keep them in the townhall, but not exactly as companions, I'd like to focus more on the Devlin siblings…

Some ideas I've had and that seem doable with inspiration from the code that's already in the Mod and the usual support from the community:

-A logic puzzle where you have to order the correct drink for everyone in the tavern and get clues and hints by those you choose correctly
-The summoning of an ancestral spirit to settle a dispute between two Indian tribes.
-A fist fight in the sense of a rigged boxing match with different consequences depending on who gets knocked out
-What I hope to be a Fitting reveal of the final treasure

But that's the distant future if anything. Right now I've just been working a bit on the selection screen and the opening, which actually brings me to another question: Are there templates and the font for the loading screen labels? That little paper stripe thingy? So I can customize the loading screen.

I misunderstood, here's the new white dressed BeatriceA head. Lucky you've got the "B" head and texture I deleted. :yes
Thanks! Yes I've set up a new game folder since but maybe the files are still available from your zip in the other thread, and if not I can get them from my old folder.

Use what you want. It's part of my sound library.

If you need new images for items I've got a library for that too. ;)

Ok, I give Devlin a chance and try to make a talking head
Thank you! About the items, do you have anything for a treasure map (or part of a treasure map)? There are those used for the Jack Sparrow Story and several other letters, papers, etc. but maybe you'd have something better.

I have tested Devlin's head and it seems to work. I will add it to the next update.
Devlin head.jpg
Here are some item pictures. They are in .psd and the right size.

Attachments

• Devlin talking head.7z
    378.7 KB · Views: 285
  • some documents.7z
    4 MB · Views: 277
Beautiful! :thumbs1

(poor Jupiter though, not only does he have to go hunting marsh-hens over and over again, he also has to dress up in funny ways every time... "I hope nothing bad happens!" - well, it did happen, you're the lab rat, Jup!)

The sound clips and the pictures are an endless supply, Jack! A real treasure.

The heads all work except for BeatriceA (red hair, white shirt) which is missing a head texture.

Compared to BeatriceB there seem to be all the necessary files and all in the correct folder.

Attachments

• untextbonnie.png
    untextbonnie.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 346
Maybe you should update to the latest zip to avoid working on an old game version.

And yes, the texture comes here.

The sound clips and the pictures are an endless supply, Jack! A real treasure.
Good to hear, I've got more if there will be anything else you need in the future.

Attachments

• BeatricAHead.tga.7z
    626.8 KB · Views: 292
Okay it sucks to have 7 questions and problems every day, but with the new images for the inventory, something doesn't work, and when I compare it to files where it does work, I don't see what the problem is.

I have the attached tx-file in RESOURCE\Textures\INTERFACES with all the other items. Then I use this code to assign the picture:

Code:
    n = InitQuestItem(n,"first_part_map",    "first_part_map",        "",    "BTP",    8,    0,0,    "",    "",    "","",    "","",""); //Beatrice's map piece

And of course this one here in quest_reaction:

Code:
     GiveItem2Character(PChar, "first_part_map");

I get the item, but it has no image in the inventory... :shrug

Attachments

• itemsBTP.zip
    388 KB · Views: 283
A tip: in photoshop, edit/stroke can give you a black contour line on the items. If you want to make those pictures more like all others.

Yes, although I don't really want to keep the aspect of choosing a companion because 1) it seems to be very complicated to have like 12 different storylines for all of them, 2) it seems a bit like a joke that was funny 10 years ago (with the modders and all) and 3) most of them are in Hoist the Colours already. I still want to keep them in the townhall, but not exactly as companions, I'd like to focus more on the Devlin siblings…
That's fair enough.
Gets a bit much otherwise.

Some ideas I've had and that seem doable with inspiration from the code that's already in the Mod and the usual support from the community:
I like those ideas.

Another thought:
There is a Monkey Island easter egg in the mod.
Antigua tavern, just outside town, I believe.
Right now it doesn't lead anywhere.
But you could make use of it if you want.

Are there templates and the font for the loading screen labels? That little paper stripe thingy? So I can customize the loading screen.
Here you go:
http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/OFFICIAL/Template_Loading_Screens.zip

Okay it sucks to have 7 questions and problems every day
Don't worry about it.
Keeps things lively here. ;)

Now we're talking! :read
Best treasure map EVER!
I see what you did there.
You solemny swear you're up to no good, eh? ;)

There is a Monkey Island easter egg in the mod.
Antigua tavern, just outside town, I believe.
Right now it doesn't lead anywhere.
But you could make use of it if you want.
I'll look into it. But isn't Antigua off Limits in early Explorers right now?

There is a literal "Monkey Island" in Ardent too.

Best treasure map EVER!
I see what you did there.
You solemny swear you're up to no good, eh? ;)
I ain't, and neither are Beatrice, Bonnie and Blaze...

JRH sent me two zillion letters, maps, folders and documents for the inventory, so there may still be a better choice for what's supposed to be one part of a map.

I'll look into it. But isn't Antigua off Limits in early Explorers right now?
Ah; I do believe you're right there...

There is a literal "Monkey Island" in Ardent too.
Oops.
@Grey Roger already did something with that. :facepalm

JRH sent me two zillion letters, maps, folders and documents for the inventory, so there may still be a better choice for what's supposed to be one part of a map.
Please keep this one as-is.
I like it. :cheeky

Back