• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Dialog Camera, Quests Fix, Larger Text, Time Fix, and Other Patches

UPDATE! Added the Mutiny Fix patch to the pack, and updated Quests Major Bug Fix. Apply both when updating.

@Pieter Boelen
I did some further digging into this, and it does indeed seem that the mutiny event is broken in the game, though the code surrounding this portion of the game is so complex that without guidance I am having trouble finding the cause of it.

I managed to get to the bottom of it. Mutiny has indeed been deliberately disabled in this version of the game both for starvation and for no pay. I've now re-enabled/restored these functions as they were originally intended in the game (not using my script).

When crew morale drops to the lowest of the low, sooner or later they'll mutiny. The game will notify you and start a mutiny event. If you starve your crew, expect this to happen rather quickly (within a couple of days, depending on your leadership skills and relations with them). ;) Added the Mutiny Fix patch to the pack!

As for the ship model, I think it was never intended to be unscathed by the original developers, so we'll have to make do with the battle-damaged model we have. Just like POTC.

Last edited:
Developer Note:

Ran into a few crashes today. Not related to any of the code I've fixed/implemented, but rather coming from programming faults in the original code. Will see if I can patch these up as well (if they continue to happen), to make the game more stable.

Tried it yesterday, water was all kinds of wacky (series of block colours) and when I tried a new game it crashed out of the game (no error message) after/during talking to the guy who comes up to you. (using w10, gtx 780)

Ran into a few crashes today. Not related to any of the code I've fixed/implemented, but rather coming from programming faults in the original code. Will see if I can patch these up as well (if they continue to happen), to make the game more stable.
Could that be some of those that @ChezJfrey fixed in his version of the engine?

Tried it yesterday, water was all kinds of wacky (series of block colours)...

:mad: Have you actually read the doco/guide I've worked hard to put together?

The Time Fix patch is not compatible with older saves, and will cause the game to display those "wacky" rainbow "block colours" if you don't start a NEW GAME after applying the patch. This is beause the game saves weather profiles into the save file, and I've added four additional weather profiles, to complement a whole day's weather, to the game. New saves are backwards compatible with the older/unpatched game, however.

...and when I tried a new game it crashed out of the game (no error message) after/during talking to the guy who comes up to you.

That sounds unexpected and strange... Did you apply the patches to a new, unpatched installation of the 1.5, GOG version of the game?

Last edited:
:mad: Have you actually read the doco/guide I've worked hard to put together?

The Time Fix patch is not compatible with older saves, and will cause the game to display those "wacky" rainbow "block colours" if you don't start a NEW GAME after applying the patch. This is beause the game saves weather profiles into the save file, and I've added four additional weather profiles, to complement a whole day's weather, to the game. New saves are backwards compatible with the older/unpatched game, however.

That sounds unexpected and strange... Did you apply the patches to a new, unpatched installation of the 1.5, GOG version of the game?

Yeah I expected it not to work with my save, was just surprised when things looked the same on a new game, and yeah, just verified the game files before copying your stuff over.

...was just surprised when things looked the same on a new game, and yeah, just verified the game files before copying your stuff over.

You're not making much sense at all... So the horizon was glitched when you started a new game? o_O

And what did you verify before copying -- what does that mean? Did you apply the patches over a new installation of the GOG Caribbean Tales game? Don't mix and match different mods made by different people for CT, as that is very likely to produce unexpected behaviour and errors.

Also, make sure the game you have installed is the 1.5 version of the GOG download/copy of the game. (You can see the version number when you pause the game.)

Last edited:
MAJOR UPDATE!

New patches:
  • Captain Coming Through
  • Music Expansion
  • No Emblem Option
  • Passengers Fix
  • Sneaking Fix
Updated:
  • Larger Text -- fixed/finished the name display frame in dialogs, fixed the rumours section text overflow in the questbook, and added an effect range and new icon to the "sneak" user action.
  • Mutiny Fix -- fixed an omission in programming that allowed you to (buggily) speak to your autogenerated crew before being attacked.
  • Goods Delivery Quest Bug Fixes -- added two more bug fixes to English language store owner and governor mission dialogs to prevent the partial loading of goods (if there's not enough space in cargo) that need to be delivered, with the rest being left behind, and posing awkward difficulties in completing the mission.
  • Governor's Message Fix -- added a rewriting/completion of what was a broken implementation of the 'defend an ally's colony from siege' quest (to which the "governor's message" alert window belongs), fixed the messed up (unfinished) design of the alert window itself, and updated the text to include the affected colony's name.
----

I have something new and cool to show you, guys -- something you've never seen before in any of the Sea Dogs games:

No more obstinate path blocking by your officers -- now they are showing respect for their captain, and will move aside or keep moving. ;)

(It's also a lot of fun, as you can make your officers walk forward and annoy them by continuously tailing them! :rofl)

Also, I was finally able to fix the frame for the name display in the dialog to bring it in line with the official design in the series, but make the text shown larger and the spacing proper:

XkCvIam.jpg

Another worthy UI mention is the addition of a proper icon for the 'sneak into town and smuggle in' user action:

buHeyqE.jpg

I've also fixed the player's ship showing docked in port while sneaking in the enemy town. That senselessness won't happen anymore.

The music has been expanded with three fitting scores from the original Sea Dogs game, that also made a debut in the POTC opening cinematic video -- which makes the update to the Governor's Message Fix exciting: you can actually relive witnessing a "ghost squadron" siege such as that in the video (with potentially the same music), but in-game now, actively fighting the invaders, and be rewarded for your assistance!

I've also added a no sail emblem option for your ships to the game, and fixed the 'passengers disappearing' problem on passenger delivery quest arrival -- making the passengers walk into town instead.

It took a lot of juice... I'm so tired, now, I can hardly find the words... but I think all the effort for this update was worth it. I hope you enjoy the changes and the game, guys.

(Getting closer to making CT into a well-made and complete Sea Dogs game...)

Last edited:
You're not making much sense at all... So the horizon was glitched when you started a new game? o_O

And what did you verify before copying -- what does that mean? Did you apply the patches over a new installation of the GOG Caribbean Tales game? Don't mix and match different mods made by different people for CT, as that is very likely to produce unexpected behaviour and errors.

Also, make sure the game you have installed is the 1.5 version of the GOG download/copy of the game. (You can see the version number when you pause the game.)

Yeah it was. And I meant I verified within gog galaxy, so it was the stock version from gog.

Haven't tried playing for a while so I'll give it another go now you've got the update :)

Sounds good. All I can think of is that maybe you've missed a file the first time around.

If it happens again, paste me the contents of your error.log text file here, please. That will tell me why your game crashed.

FYI:

The best way to install these patches -- after backing up your game installation -- is to open up 2 windows in Windows, and put them on each side: one for the game files folder, and one for the patches folder. Then, you can drag (or cut and paste) each file from one side to the other. This also helps to make sure that you've moved all the files over, and haven't missed any.

At the end, you can also check if the patches folder is 0 KB in size by moving the readme out, then right clicking it and selecting "Properties". If it is, you've installed all the files/patches.

Cerez, I really like the idea of those patches and I appreciate your effort very much, however my question is: could I apply them to the original DVD version patched to 1.50?

could I apply them to the original DVD version patched to 1.50?

Not sure, as I have no way of testing. You could back up your current game folder (make a copy of it), and give it a shot. I imagine that many of them will work, perhaps not all.

Not sure, as I have no way of testing. You could back up your current game folder (make a copy of it), and give it a shot. I imagine that many of them will work, perhaps not all.

I presume, the only real difference between DVD and GOG version is, that the latter don't have annoying protection (StarForce).
I will try them anyway.

Btw, I know this is a bit off-topic, however I would love to see similar patches for PotC - I've discovered irritating bugs with some quests, the same issue with blocking officers, loan shark glitch, etc.

Last edited:
I've tested shortly build 14 beta 4.0 and it's definitely an impressive mod, however a huge one and it turn PotC to quite a bit different game.
I would rather prefer small patches like those made by Cerez.
You can find a bunch of older (and therefore smaller) mods here: Downloads - Pirates of the Caribbean: Build Mod 13 for Pirates of the Caribbean
Try, for example, Build 12.1 instead. If you really want it, I might even be able to find Build 11 somewhere.

Might I ask what it is about the huge Build 14 that you don't like?
We did our best to keep all good stock game content, so it should be closer to "the same game but better", rather than "a different game".
There are also many toggles to disable stuff for players who don't like certain features, because we aim to tailor the game as much as possible to what everyone wants.
In other words: If there is something about it that you'd prefer to be different, let us know and we might be able to adress it in the main mod instead. :doff

I presume, the only real difference between DVD and GOG version is, that the latter don't have annoying protection (StarForce).
I will try them anyway.

I would assume so, too, seeing as the version number matches -- the C code should, too, in theory. Make a copy of your current installation folder, so you can easily revert, just in case, and give it a shot, perhaps testing a few patches at a time. Let us know how you go, for other players with the DVD version in the future. ^_^

I should probably mention, though, and you probably know this already -- StarForce is a really bad copy protection system that messes with your computer and it is hard to remove, so it's definitely much better to install the DRM-free GOG version (under $10, currently $4), even if you like to keep a physical copy of your games.

Might I ask what it is about the huge Build 14 that you don't like?
We did our best to keep all good stock game content, so it should be closer to "the same game but better", rather than "a different game".

Risking that I'm going to be disliked for saying this, and speaking for myself, I prefer when a mod doesn't change a game's original look, add its own branding, and change/tweak other gaming elements (I'm a "purist" that way), only that which it's supposed to change. I never liked the original user interface for POTC, but I still have trouble swallowing the changes.

That's why I always make sure in my own mods that I tell the user what each mod does exactly and put extra effort into segmenting the changes, to give them that user control of what changes they'd like to apply to their original game/experience, and I always make sure to keep my mods non-intrusive.

That being said, I understand why many creators of extensive mods (with years of work behind them) prefer to brand (take visual credit), and both Build Mod and New Horizons contain amazing improvements to the original POTC game.

Last edited:
Risking that I'm going to be disliked for saying this, and speaking for myself, I prefer when a mod doesn't change a game's original look, add its own branding, and change/tweak other gaming elements (I'm a "purist" that way), only that which it's supposed to change. I never liked the original user interface for POTC, but I still have trouble swallowing the changes.
Out of curiosity, what do you think about the blue interface that's still an option in the mod?
That one keeps most of the original aestethic, while adding the new functionality.

That's why I always make sure in my own mods that I tell the user what each mod does exactly and put extra effort into segmenting the changes, to give them that user control of what changes they'd like to apply to their original game/experience, and I always make sure to keep my mods non-intrusive.
We did try to do that too and there are many options to switch new functionality off.
But to get really close to the original game, sticking to an older mod is the only option.
At some point (specifically Build 14) it really went above and beyond the source material.

That being said, I understand why many creators of extensive mods (with years of work behind them) prefer to brand (take visual credit), and both Build Mod and New Horizons contain amazing improvements to the original POTC game.
At least the original game title was kept, with only a new subtitle added.
Since enough new content was added to fill several new games, that seemed fair enough.

I strongly dislike taking credit where it isn't due and rather err on the side of caution there.
But in this case, I and the other community members with me thought that a revamp of the main appearance was warranted.
Not take away credit from Akella, of course; they made the original game and we'll be forever grateful to them for that.

Back