• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Dialog Camera, Quests Fix, Larger Text, Time Fix, and Other Patches

@Cerez is still around occasionally, so hopefully she'll respond soon.
If not, you could try sending her a private message.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know the current status of this mod? I've tried to install it on my GOG 1.5 release of the game and I'm not having any luck--whenever I tamper with any files I am getting a Microsoft C++ run time error and a crash to desktop when I try to start the game. I've also tried to take only a few fixes at time but no dice there either, same issue. The vanilla version works just fine for me so it must be something I'm doing wrong. Any advice? All I am doing is simply copying the files over to the correct location and selecting the "replace" option when it prompts me. I'm on windows 10 and I can definitely provide any more system information if needed. Thanks!

I picked up Sea Dogs Caribbean Tales on Steam thanks to the 80% off for the Summer sale and had no issues installing this mod on that version of the game, or at least no C++ error as the game starts fine for me with the Steam version. I am not far into the game at all so maybe issues could pop up later, but at least for me in the beginning of the game all seems to be working fine. Hopefully @Cerez does finish up the mod at some point as I have liked the fixes and updates I have seen so far early in the game.

Sorry guys, my health is not doing so well... :cool

Thanks for holding the fort, Pieter. ^_^

And thanks for the lovely feedback, @Darkness Muta. The only major thing that still needs to be added to this mod is the fix for the 'Smoke of the Water' original game bug -- which @ChezJfrey has been guiding me with tremendously, and I'm so grateful for his help! :3

Otherwise, this mod is very much stable (it doesn't introduce any new bugs, only fixes old ones) and, thanks to its modular structure/design, works with many other versions of the game as well, as you've kindly noted here with the Steam release.

My further plans are to reedit the story-mode to make the whole game open world and choices, and to add rich, realistic character interactions where you will feel that each person you talk to is a live person, going about their day and remembering their past interactions with you.

But these changes will be part of a separate mod, I think. I'm not sure I want to merge them into this one, as they do change the original fixed storyline, and this mod is designed to keep the original gameplay experience (and only enhance it).

The two mods will, of course, be compatible.

I hope I get around to fixing the smoke bug, and to developing this second mod.

Does anyone know the current status of this mod? I've tried to install it on my GOG 1.5 release of the game and I'm not having any luck--whenever I tamper with any files I am getting a Microsoft C++ run time error and a crash to desktop when I try to start the game. I've also tried to take only a few fixes at time but no dice there either, same issue. The vanilla version works just fine for me so it must be something I'm doing wrong. Any advice? All I am doing is simply copying the files over to the correct location and selecting the "replace" option when it prompts me. I'm on windows 10 and I can definitely provide any more system information if needed. Thanks!

This is the first time I've heard of this. The mod's current status is stable, and it was developed for the version of the game you are running (I have the same version, only running on Windows 8).

This will not be due to the mod at all, @andy02. This is likely a Microsoft installation issue with the C++ runtime libraries. Can you post the error message/logs you're getting here? Then we can try and figure out which version of the library is messed up on your computer and what's going on exactly.

Have you applied any other mods to the game in addition to this one?

(It's also curious to me that it's using the C++ runtime libraries when the game is actually written in C. Shouldn't it be using the C runtime library? Anyone know if this is normal behaviour in Windows?)

Edit:

See here (only Method 3 and 4): Fix: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Error In Windows 10 - Appuals.com
And here: C++ runtime error in windows 10
Tutorial video with fix suggestions:

I've also tried to take only a few fixes at time but no dice there either, same issue. The vanilla version works just fine for me so it must be something I'm doing wrong. Any advice?

In terms of installing the mod itself, the only possible thing I can think of -- but this should definitely not be causing a crash -- is that you apply the Quests Major Bug Fix patch as well as your chosen ones, as many of the other patches tie their workings into this one. If this patch is not applied, though, it will not crash the game, but simply not activate/apply some of the benefits of the other patches.

Here's something you can try as an easy and harmless test (that may reveal more about the nature of the problem):

Try applying only the Ship Swap Name Swap Fix patch to the game. (This patch contains a minimal edit to the C source, with no structural changes to the code.) If the game still crashes after applying only this patch when you start it, then you'll know for sure this is a Windows-specific issue with your computer, perhaps with file encoding/permissions.

2nd Edit:

Oh, one more thing! Make sure that you are copying/moving the files over into the folder they are supposed to be in and not chucking the whole folder over and replacing it with the existing folder. This will most definitely cause a crash, as you will be effectively deleting files from the game if you do this (if you replace the whole folder).

Last edited:
Back