• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Directsail - can't reach land in combat?

Fiatil

Landlubber
Hey guys, I decided to reinstall POTC a few days ago after years and years of absence, and of course had to get the build mod up and going as soon as I did. I installed both the base mod and patch 6 for reference. I've been playing the Nathaniel Hawk campaign and have been having tons of fun lately, especially with direct sailing despite my initial reluctance (it just sounded too crazy to actually be fun). I've noticed a few odd bugs with direct sailing though, and I'm curious as to whether it's something to do with my install or if they're known bugs that I haven't been able to find on the forums.

The first is that I can't seem to make landfall during combat. This wouldn't be quite so terrible if I hadn't stripped all of my cannons off of my heavy lugger in order to sell cargo, but that's the path I've chosen to begin with. Pirates and the like seem to chase for a very very long time in this game, and I was hoping I'd be able to make it to a friendly colony and dock and hopefully have the fortress destroy them for me, but no luck. If I'm direct sailing in combat, no matter how far I go I can't seem to reach my destination. I have a sextant, chronometer, compass, and all of that fun stuff so I can see my position on the world map. I've tried sailing to a few different islands but all that results is empty ocean for miles and miles; I can sail straight through what appears to be an island on the archipelago map and it's all just open ocean. The one time I was actually able to shake my pursuer and get him to go away the game immediately loaded a "Land Ho!" and out of nowhere appears the island I'm looking for, which is another reason why I'm assuming combat is the cause of this interesting problem.

Another less crippling problem is that a "Land Ho!" seems to freak out my "GPS" signal on the archipelago map. As an example my first sailing trip was from Puerto Rico due west to the dutch colony west of Curacao (name escapes me at the moment) in order to dump off some gold. I sail west west west, everything looks fine on my map, then a "Land Ho!" pops up for an island in between the two, and all of a sudden I check my map and I'm at the westernmost edge of the map. Given that this is my first time direct sailing I figure "Oh wow, I must have set time compression to 30x for way too long, I've gone past my destination!", but that turned out not to be the case. I kept sailing west for a little longer and another "Land Ho!" pops up and boom, I'm back east of my destination, in between it and Puerto Rico where I figured my ship should be. I kept sailing west and eventually reached my destination with no problems aside from my GPS going crazy. This has happened several times since and I just ignore it, figuring that my navigator had too much rum and decided that we're in the West Indies for whatever reason, because the ship doesn't actually seem to be half way across the map in the wrong position, just the map reports that I'm there for whatever reason. I'm assuming this could just be a limitation of the engine given that the game wasn't really designed for direct sailing? Or am I just getting weird bugs?

Lastly, and this has pretty much nothing to do with direct sailing, what exactly dictates what class of ship I'm able to buy and sail? Is it level? A function of sailing/leadership? I'm level 10 with level 2 leadership and 4+3 sailing and I still can't sail any ships above a class 7 without penalties, and no shipyards will sell them to me. I've looked around a bit and haven't been able to figure it out just yet, my apologies if this is answered 100 times in different places.

not being able to land in combat is really just for the reason so that you have to escape your enemies at sea first. otherwise it would be too easy. besides, from a logical standpoint, you wouldn't want to leave your ship out in the open while there's several hostile ships eyeing it. the problem of not being able to land when there's a fort nearby, from a coding standpoint, is simply because the game doesn't make a distinction between a beach and a port with the 'no escape' rule.

typical ways for outrunning pirates are taking advantage of your ship's rigging type compared to theirs, and dumping cargo. i would also suggest installing only the stern chasers on your ship if you really don't want to stock up your ship on guns, though i don't see why not. there's no penalty to having cannons. ammo is pretty light already, and even round shot can damage sails enough to make your escape. aside from that, try bringing along at least 300 units of gunpowder and drop a mine by pressing the 9 above your letter keys.

what you're getting in directsail happens because updates can't occur in battle, so once you're out of the battle, the game recalculates your position and may place you on a technically correct but unexpected new place. besides that, bad aiming can cause you to skirt along the edge of an island's area, making your immediately sail on into the next area once you've reached the previous one. it's probably best to take a rather loose attitude regarding the island you're at while on the way to your destination, if you were planning on going from jamaica to barbados in one go, for example.

:gday

Yeah, when you are in combat what you see is what you get. If you can sail to an island with a fort you can let the fort take them out for you, but if you are caught out on the open sea........

About ship and captain classes, the shipyards will not sell you a ship above your level. In the game I'm playing now I'm at level 12 but am still a level 6 captain. It seems your leadership is low. Talk to townspeople. A lot! Also, completing missions is a big help.

Have fun!

My lack of guns was due more to me being completely poor than anything else :D. Thanks for the help, though, that clears up most of it at least (I had no idea cargo affected speed, makes sense, or the gunpowder=mine thing). As for the weird map stuff though, you said I'm jumping off to the far west of the map because I'm in combat. Does it work like, ok I'm at Curacao and I'm heading west, while I'm in combat I'm unable to go to a new area, so my map will show me going to the very edge of the ocean until I get out of combat, then it will *jump* me back to the west part of Curacao en route to my destination once I'm out of combat? Or will it jump me to the nearest island to where I appear to be on the archipelago map? I'm just trying to figure out why it would result in the map showing me having gone much much farther than I actually have, and then loading again and having my ship jump EAST on the map whenever I was heading WEST the entire time, seemingly in order to adjust for some error in my ship being much much too far west?

And thanks for the info about the ships. I knew about the shipyard selling requirements, I was just curious what stats to raise in order to get to the next tier. Leadership is definitely my weak point, so that's what I'll work on.

Doing a reload to another island removed all encounters from the previous one, I think.
So if the reloads would work in battle, you'd instantly lose your enemies the moment you reach the other island.
That part of the game limitations on this, unfortunately.

You need to indeed have leadership and sailing skill for higher class ships.
I think it's one class per two skill levels or so.
Though there's a bug there somewhere because you can't get up to class 1 ever. :facepalm

Hooray! Haha I suppose at that point I can just disable the skill penalty mod because you can't buy Class 1 ships anywhere right?

Edit: While I'm asking random questions, I may as well ask the one that was nagging me the most. Should I be able to tilt my camera up and down in the deckview? As is I'm at an angle below the horizon so I can't really see over the side of my ship when I'm hanging out on deck talking to my crew members. The camera works fine whenever I'm in first person sea combat, and whenever I'm on land.

Doing a reload to another island removed all encounters from the previous one, I think.
So if the reloads would work in battle, you'd instantly lose your enemies the moment you reach the other island.
That part of the game limitations on this, unfortunately.

Yes it is a little jarring sometimes, but as you say part of the engine limitations, and just having Direct Sail is an amazing achievement by itself! The way i look at it, and Fiatil this will explain how it works, is unless you can get far enough away from your enemies while at sea, you can't escape that particular cell(the game wont load any new ones in). Once you have got far enough away AND your actual location means the next cell will load it does, but you will lose those persuing ships sadly. I can't see how we can stop the cell loading or not loading issue(dependant on proximity of an active enemy), BUT i can think it may be possible to import the persuing enemies into a new cell location after loading. One for clever coders to mull over.

You need to indeed have leadership and sailing skill for higher class ships.
I think it's one class per two skill levels or so.
Though there's a bug there somewhere because you can't get up to class 1 ever. :facepalm

Isn't this just the way it is set in the code? I'm sure i've seen a section that deliberately puts the limit for the player at class 2, keeping class 1 for military 'Pirate Hunter' type ships(i guess to ensure the player will always have a challange at sea, which would seem a good idea?).

@Fiatil,

In terms of being chased by pirates/enemies for a long time - have you seen the movie 'Master and Commander'? That gives about as good a dipiction of a single encounter in the age of sail as you are likely to see imho. Sailing is slow and the oceans are vast, combat did and should last a long time. :sail

And i'm glad you are coming around the direct sail way of thinking, it was a pet project of mine from years ago(first playing PotC on the xbox of all things!) and i just can't tell you how blown over i am by the amazing modders that did the work to make it a pretty functional, and to my mind essential, part of the current Build Mod. :bow

I'm sure overtime it could be improved upon, but as is it really adds a massive slice of realism and an extra dimension to the game, and i can't imagine playing it any other way now.

like i said, directsail is a bit iffy. it's best to try to escape combat once you've passed into the poximity of another island, or just before that point. just don't take to long once you've reached the next island or you'll be getting some wierd stuff. also, i really don't know what will happen if you sail off the map. last time i tried i just kept on sailing into infinity, but sometimes you end up in the most bizarre places.

one thing you might want to try to do if in need of guns is board a ship and steal them. you can't use all types though.

Tilting camera up/down in the deck view is disabled because if you look too far up, you'd get to see weird effects.

I can assure you that the class 3 limit for players is NOT intentional. It's a side-effect of adding class 8 ships to the game, I think.
The code used to allow class 1 ships just fine.

I feel kind of lame starting a new thread just for this, so I'll ask it here. How do I abandon a mission? I've been given a mission to sink a pirate outside of Aruba, and I've searched all around the island for days and the name of the ship doesn't exist. Is there any way to force it to spawn, or can I abandon the mission? It seems like no other governor will give me a kill mission with this active.

Sadly it appears to still be around. The quest log hasn't updated, but I've circled Aruba and killed several pirates, but none with the name of the ship I need. Is there any chance it sailed off somewhere else, or do they normally stay put?

Sorry to bring this thread back, but this issue appears to remain an unsolved mystery:

I feel kind of lame starting a new thread just for this, so I'll ask it here. How do I abandon a mission? I've been given a mission to sink a pirate outside of Aruba, and I've searched all around the island for days and the name of the ship doesn't exist. Is there any way to force it to spawn, or can I abandon the mission? It seems like no other governor will give me a kill mission with this active.
Does anyone have any clue on what to do in this case, code-wise? :hmm
There's been another report of this on ModDB, and many more before now, so it's about time it got fixed, I'd say.

Sorry to bring this thread back, but this issue appears to remain an unsolved mystery:

Does anyone have any clue on what to do in this case, code-wise? :hmm
There's been another report of this on ModDB, and many more before now, so it's about time it got fixed, I'd say.

There does not appeear to be any option in this quest for the player to fail i.e. there is no quest book entry for not being able to sink or capture the pirate ship - see the quest book texts in RESOURCE \ INI \ TEXTS \ ENGLISH \ QUESTBOOK \ hunting.txt

The actual code for the pirate hunting quest is in PROGRAM \ QUESTS \ quests_common.c

Code:
//boal -->
case "kill_pirate_agree":
pchar.quest.prepare_for_kill_pirate.win_condition.l1 = "location";
pchar.quest.prepare_for_kill_pirate.win_condition.l1.location = pchar.quest.generate_kill_quest.destination;
pchar.quest.prepare_for_kill_pirate.win_condition = "prepare_for_kill_pirate";
pchar.quest.prepare_for_kill_pirate.town = GetCurrentTownID();
//çàâîä êíèãè
//Log_SetStringToLog("kill_pirate_agree");
// KK -->
Preprocessor_AddQuestData("island", TranslateString("", FindIslandName(pchar.quest.generate_kill_quest.destination)));
Preprocessor_AddQuestData("ship_descr", GetShipDescribe("Quest pirate", true, true, true, true));
SetQuestHeader("hunting");
AddQuestRecord("hunting", 1);
Preprocessor_Remove("island");
Preprocessor_Remove("ship_descr");
// <-- KK
break;

case "prepare_for_kill_pirate":
//NK, use fantom calls way up top.
Group_AddCharacter("Story_Pirate", "Quest pirate");
//Log_SetStringToLog("prepare_for_kill_pirate");
Group_SetGroupCommander("Story_Pirate", "Quest pirate");
Group_SetTaskAttack("Story_Pirate", PLAYER_GROUP);
//Group_SetAddress("Story_Pirate", Characters[GetMainCharacterIndex()].location, "Quest_ships", "Quest_ship_3");
Group_SetAddress("Story_Pirate", Pchar.location, "Quest_ships", "Quest_ship_12");

Group_LockTask("Story_Pirate");

pchar.quest.kill_pirate_complete.win_condition.l1 = "NPC_Death";
pchar.quest.kill_pirate_complete.win_condition.l1.character = "Quest pirate";
pchar.quest.kill_pirate_complete.win_condition = "kill_pirate_complete";
break;

case "kill_pirate_complete":
if(!CheckAttribute(pchar,"quest.generate_kill_quest")) break;//MAXIMUS
if(pchar.quest.generate_kill_quest=="completed") break;//MAXIMUS
pchar.quest.generate_kill_quest = "completed";
// KK -->
if (sti(Pchar.quest.generate_kill_quest.nation) == PIRATE)
Preprocessor_AddQuestData("type", XI_ConvertString("1Pirate"));
else
Preprocessor_AddQuestData("type", XI_ConvertString(GetNationDescByType(sti(pchar.quest.generate_kill_quest.nation))) + " " + XI_ConvertString("Corsair"));
cc = 0;
for (iColony = 1; iColony <= GetIslandTownsQuantity(pchar.quest.generate_kill_quest.destination); iColony++) {
if (GetTownGovernorIndex(GetTownIDFromIsland(pchar.quest.generate_kill_quest.destination, iColony)) != -1) cc++;
}
if (cc > 1)
Preprocessor_AddQuestData("town", GetTownName(PChar.quest.generate_kill_quest.town) + " " + TranslateString("", "on") + " " + FindIslandName(pchar.quest.generate_kill_quest.destination));
else
Preprocessor_AddQuestData("town", GetTownName(PChar.quest.generate_kill_quest.town));
Preprocessor_AddQuestData("ship_descr", GetShipDescribe("Quest pirate", true, true, true, true));
AddQuestRecord("hunting", rand(4) + 2);
Preprocessor_Remove("type");
Preprocessor_Remove("town");
Preprocessor_Remove("ship_descr");
// <-- KK
break;

case "kill_pirate_refused":
pchar.quest.kill_pirate_refused_timer.win_condition.l1 = "Timer";
pchar.quest.kill_pirate_refused_timer.win_condition.l1.date.day = GetAddingDataDay(0, 0, 3);
pchar.quest.kill_pirate_refused_timer.win_condition.l1.date.month = GetAddingDataMonth(0, 0, 3);
pchar.quest.kill_pirate_refused_timer.win_condition.l1.date.year = GetAddingDataYear(0, 0, 3);
pchar.quest.generate_cokill_pirate_refused_timernvoy_quest.win_condition = "kill_pirate_refused_timer";
break;

case "kill_pirate_refused_2":
//Log_SetStringToLog("kill_pirate_refused_2");
pchar.quest.kill_pirate_refused_timer.win_condition.l1 = "Timer";
pchar.quest.kill_pirate_refused_timer.win_condition.l1.date.day = GetAddingDataDay(0, 0, 3);
pchar.quest.kill_pirate_refused_timer.win_condition.l1.date.month = GetAddingDataMonth(0, 0, 3);
pchar.quest.kill_pirate_refused_timer.win_condition.l1.date.year = GetAddingDataYear(0, 0, 3);
pchar.quest.generate_cokill_pirate_refused_timernvoy_quest.win_condition = "kill_pirate_refused_timer";
DeleteQuestHeader("hunting");
DeleteQuestAttribute("hunting");
break;

case "kill_pirate_refused_timer":
//Log_SetStringToLog("kill_pirate_refused_timer");
DeleteAttribute(pchar, "quest.generate_kill_quest");
//pchar.quest.generate_kill_quest = "";
break;
// boal <--

I am not sure which bit (or bits) you would have to use ( I assume in the console ) to end the quest if it did not work. :shrug

:drunk

I'm wondering if a DirectSail update could cause the quest ship to disappear. Can anyone confirm if my suspicion is right?

Wow, kind of cool to see my topic back at the top as soon as I come back. I just copied my game folder and saves over to my new PC and am giving this another go, still a whole ton of fun. I'm glad you guys are looking into my quest problem though, because I'm still searching for that pirate off of the coast of Aruba who doesn't really seem to exist. It's not a big deal at the moment because I'm having a lot of fun just wandering around privateering, but it would be nice to be able to do another quest in that colony sometime in the future too.

there used to be a problem where the pirate ship sometimes got sunk by someone else before you got to it, but i think that no longer matters, since the quest should be marked as completed as soon as it's sunk in general now. The ship dissapearing due to a directsail update seems far more likely.

Back