• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Distinguish between different playstyles

That's the other problem. Did anyone have a naval academy in the Caribbean? Britain's was at Portsmouth - did it have another one in the Caribbean during the time periods covered by PoTC? Did all the other nations even have naval academies at all, let alone in the Caribbean?

Since we don't have any locations available outside the Caribbean,
perhaps we have to put the priority on what we need for gameplay and ignore slight historical inaccuracies that result from that. :facepalm

Perhaps have naval HQ rather than academy? There has to be some sort of HQ, whether it's a fancy building rivalling the governor's residence or some shack next to the port. Somewhere where the routine administration happens - this is where, behind the scenes, all that food, rum and ammo for your ship is being organised.

That could be where you get your orders, rather than the governor. You could be assigned officers there too, and they wouldn't necessarily be fresh-faced midshipman straight out of academy so they wouldn't need to be restricted to very low level. Promotions ought to come from naval HQ rather than a governor, except perhaps flag level - if you've just been promoted to Admiral then you may outrank the top officer in HQ!

Well it isnt that hard to find a house unused, is it?

For Spain, there are a lot of houses free from the new replaced towns, and for Holland and Portugal maybe side-entries from the residences or shipyards?

Indeed adding some new locations to be used should not be a big problem.

Can I help here with anything (simple)?^^
Absolutely! Once Beta 3.4 is done, we can see about starting this in earnest.
Main thing we'll need is for a vastly expanded functionality for the GivePromotionReward function in PROGRAM\NK.c .
That should not be too difficult, since that function is already full of examples of stuff to use.

I'm currently in the middle of putting all the latest stuff together. Final upload will be later tonight.

Did the changes I make for this already work? Anyone been playing as Nelson lately?
I'm especially interested to hear if personal player relations change to match with your served nation with Changing Relations ON.

And does the "free hiring" of crew and officers make any sense at all?
(I highly doubt it, but that functionality was already there....)

I only play Tales of a Seahawk atm.. but I noticed:

- The crew doesnt change to soldiers anymore
- I think my relations match to the nation's relation (I am Lieutenant for England atm)

Uhm.... Either of those should be true, but not both at the same time. Are you playing as "Commissioned" character type?
If yes, then your relations should update according to your starting nation and you should have had soldiers as crew from the beginning.
If no, then you should never get a soldier crew and your personal relations should remain independent of random nation relation changes.

I dont even know how I can play as Commissioned :D

Ah nvm.. found it :D Well but I can't be comissioned in the standard storyline^^

Well I don't know if may relations change because England changes the relation or because I sink ships of the enemies :D I think it is the 2nd one^^

Last edited:
Looks like I may need to start another new game... I've been playing Nelson, but with an earlier version of Beta 3.4, checking out female officers and side quests - more about that in the relevant thread. ;) Presumably the current version of Beta 3.4 won't accept saved games from an earlier version?

Remember that part way through "Tales of a Sea Hawk", your relations with Britain deteriorate badly due to a falling out with Silehard. What's that going to do to a commissioned officer? Also note that you have to be able to enter French ports, specifically St. Pierre, and Spanish ports, specifically San Juan. A couple of key encounters don't work unless you actually sail into port rather than enter town via the back door. Unless you've helped yourself to someone's battleship and can blast your way in, you'll need to be able to go in under a false flag and, regardless of whether any ship recognised you, not be attacked by the fort...

False flags are as much an option as they always were. I don't think using the "Commissioned" option on the Standard storyline would break anything per se.
It would just not make any sense if you play through the story. But that is always the player choice:
There are so many customization options now (with more to come) that we cannot take everything into account.

Most storylines are tailored towards their intended default settings.
For example, you can also play the Assassin storyline as a French character if you wish.
It'll make no logical sense, but nobody is stopping you from doing it and it'll probably work alright for the most part.

Looks like I may need to start another new game... I've been playing Nelson, but with an earlier version of Beta 3.4, checking out female officers and side quests - more about that in the relevant thread. ;) Presumably the current version of Beta 3.4 won't accept saved games from an earlier version?
If your previous version was a couple of days old, then it will. But I think you had last week's version, so then not.

Do you have yesterday's release? It should be there. How about the Nelson one? Does that one show as "Commissioned"?

Back