• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Don't trust the monk - don't get the cross under any circumstance!

El Vlado

Powder Monkey
Hey, I've joined this community a week or so ago. Before I talk about a bug I just wanted to say kudos and thanks for such an awesome mod for my favourite 17th-century sailing game ever, Pirates of the Caribbean!! looking forward to the game being created, and future builds of New Horizon.:bow

However to the point of the thread, I want to point out an error about the Monk on some of the islands that gives you a cross that either doubles health, or gives better skills. I got this at Nevis on the Nathaniel Hawk campaign during the Rheims mission, and was totally cool with being unable to save, just so I could finish the mission and get to San Juan, right? Maybe have an ale at the tavern and save:drunk

However, when I wanted to get rid of it I travelled to San Juan on Porta Rico, which was the location I was told to give it back to the monk/his representative at the overpass. There was no such NPC. I talked to everybody. I looked through the whole city, went into different parts of the city multiple times, entered the tavern multiple times and every building multiple times to no avail. I then stood at the place upon entering San Juan city on time compression hoping the guy would show up (which he didn't - even if the instructions said he would). Eventually the city didn't have that monk (unless he was in the church, which I didn't check because nothing said that the monk would be inside it).

So after spending an hour trying to find this monk, I went exploring the island as a whole and ended up going hiking in the jungle. Suddenly, the monk was on the peak of the mountain, looking at me!! But instead of giving me the opportunity to get rid of the god forsaken cross, he offers me another one <.< Figuring maybe San Juan was bugged or whatever and maybe Nevis could help me, I took it anyway and went back to Nevis to get rid of both (hopefully). That monk knew what he was doing...right??

Nope, he wasn't. Same crazy monk. I wasn't successful in trying to dump the crosses - I ended up going back to Nevis to return the crosses but then ended up with the same dialogue. So, I tried dumping them in boxes - I successfully dumped one and then died before I could dump the second one, in the attempt to save after capturing a Frigate, finishing many missions and getting a bunch of loot :aar

I just been playing this for a week or so and haven't been on these forums much. Sorry if its a repeat issue but I just wanted to point it out and warn others not to trust the monk unless you can find the monk that takes it away, or do something with it. I have no save before getting the cross, which isn't a big deal (new adventures yey! :doff) but just wanted to point it out

In Conclusion: Don't trust the monk!!

You are the 2nd person to report problems with the monk recently. I never talk to them, just grenade them to death.

I just tried this meself. Got a cross in Grenada and was told to drop it off in Nevis. Didn't happen. Tried Speightstown next. No joy. They keep talking about a certain Mount Doom. I'm not keen on going into their Abbey. Where to next?

It is good its been repeated on other installations so it isn't an anomoly

Trying to find Mordor, though no luck yet.. least the journey wont have any awkward scenes with a female first-mate lol ;) Im sure it'll be fixed but I agree will take the hand grenade from now on

Back