• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Early Explorers Starting Options

Why aren't most vacated islands in the Early explorers age inhabited by Indians.. then what could happen is new colonists arriving and wiping out the entire indigenous which then establishes the colonies that eventually became available (Martinique, Curacao, St Martin, etc etc) :p

Because all the town locations would need to be removed.
Not technically impossible I think but decidedly NOT easy.
Then allowing those towns to be added during gameplay is even harder.

Wow, I started new game as Portugese in Spanish Main, chose Aristocrat avatar, with Redonda ship, and I am able to quicksave! Haven't done that in a while :p

But there is a little issue.. I made 5 new games, and no matter what my leadership level is, I only start with a crap tartane :S

Turns out when I start, no matter what skills I have, all are level 1.. including my leadership.

Edit: Figured out the problem.. can't start as swashbuckler :( otherwise you start with all skills 1.. so I put Adventurer difficulty and I can sail any ship under my leadership skill level.

Edit #2: Seems although I'm happy about the quicksave.. an old bug turns up.. when you reload a save file.. you must press F1 or else you can't move character nor ship *sigh*

Last edited:
Because all the town locations would need to be removed.
Not technically impossible I think but decidedly NOT easy.
Then allowing those towns to be added during gameplay is even harder.
You don't need to add the towns during gameplay. Those islands weren't colonised until later, so you "add" the towns by playing "Spanish Main" instead. xD

What happens if an island is disabled in "Periods.c", e.g. "period.Islands.Guadeloupe.disable = true;"?

Beyond that, the only "fix" is that if you know that an island wasn't colonised in the year in which you're playing, stay away from it. If you don't know that it wasn't colonised then you won't be upset if you go there and visit the colony. xD

I can fix that if you want.
Well, that part is intentional. They're only needed in Early Explorers.
Though I suppose having a tailor shop that is only there in Early Explorers would work. You'd be very welcome to set that up! :cheers

But there is a little issue.. I made 5 new games, and no matter what my leadership level is, I only start with a crap tartane :S

Turns out when I start, no matter what skills I have, all are level 1.. including my leadership.

Edit: Figured out the problem.. can't start as swashbuckler :( otherwise you start with all skills 1.. so I put Adventurer difficulty and I can sail any ship under my leadership skill level.
Are you using Stormy Start on Swashbuckler? That would explain it. That enables the EVIL Stormy Start mod. :cheeky
If you don't want that, you can start on Adventurer and switch to Swashbuckler after the start.

You don't need to add the towns during gameplay. Those islands weren't colonised until later, so you "add" the towns by playing "Spanish Main" instead. xD
There is truth in that, of course.... :rolleyes:

What happens if an island is disabled in "Periods.c", e.g. "period.Islands.Guadeloupe.disable = true;"?
That disables the reloads to shore and removes the added fort models from the islands.
So you can still sail to the island (and for some you can still see some buildings, because those are part of the island model), but you cannot make port.

Beyond that, the only "fix" is that if you know that an island wasn't colonised in the year in which you're playing, stay away from it. If you don't know that it wasn't colonised then you won't be upset if you go there and visit the colony. xD
So that is at least not needed. ;)

Yea I did that.. makes more sense :)
I must be the unluckiest guy on this forum.. been playing for hours and no problem.. now suddenly i find a nice loot and when i board, i crash :'(

Yea I did that.. makes more sense :)
I must be the unluckiest guy on this forum.. been playing for hours and no problem.. now suddenly i find a nice loot and when i board, i crash :'(
Yes, that happens. It's why I always save game just before going into a battle. If it crashes, I reload and try again. Sometimes it's random and sometimes it's consistent if I loot chests and bodies. So if the game crashes on the second attempt, I reload again and this time storm through the ship without stopping to loot anything - or, for that matter, exchanging equipment with officers.

It's less frequent since a new version of ENGINE.EXE was posted, but it still sometimes happens...

That bit about "playing for hours" is also a factor. The game still has memory leaks which build up, and if you don't quit every so often and take a break, the game may force you to do so by crashing. Think of it as the game looking after your health. xD

Yea but problem is, when I save before battle it is 101% definite crash when I board and go to gun deck/cargo hold.. the only chance I got is if I reload from port.. then go find another fleet to loot.. and i'm still having the governor issue where I can't get any quests nor LOM, or any useful words that can come out of governor's mouth :D

i'm still having the governor issue where I can't get any quests nor LOM, or any useful words that can come out of governor's mouth :D
There is a problem with your game. Starting a new game might help. The next update should certainly help because I fixed all related errors that we found.

Yes this is new game with Portugese.. I'm guessing I have many missing files.. so i'll stop playing for now and wait for new patch.. i'm even realizing some other issues such as when I fast forward to x10 it's really fast.. before as Dutch I always put x10 and speed is not bad.

On top of that I'm level 12, and I still die by one hit even from a civilian.. so now i'm really frustrated and should stop playing for some days in case I break my laptop! (my first 5 laptops in my life suffered a tragic ending :eek:)

Ah yes; don't get too frustrated! Try again next week after I managed to make another installer EXE with all the latest stuff included. :yes

Does anyone think the Emissaries should offer nation-specific Shipyard Functionality too?
I think that should not be too difficult to add if desired.

Not really. For one thing, the challenge of being an English or Dutch privateer in "Early Explorers" is that the enemy owns pretty well everything. That's also part of what makes it different to "Spanish Main".

Perhaps make Pirates neutral to England and Holland, since at that time the pirates probably were English and possibly Dutch privateers. That gives them somewhere to repair ships and sell loot without worrying about a false flag being recognised. Emissaries are there to sell LoM's, hand out promotions and give ship-hunting quests.

Previously I wanted an English shipyard because I hadn't spotted that the ship selection screen allows you to change tier and I wanted a way to buy an English Fast Galleon. As you can choose the tier of the starting ship, you can start off with an English Fast Galleon, though you'll need to grow into it as it's an overly powerful ship for a starting captain and you begin with penalties on your "Navigation" and "Leadership". That's another part of the challenge and I've already had some fun playing that. The new Golden Hind, once added, could perhaps be available as a general starting ship as well as specific to Francis Drake, representing a smaller privateering ship if you don't want to start with the English Fast Galleon. Besides, eventually you can steal a Spanish heavy ship and capture one of the colonies for England or Holland, after which you can buy whatever you like.

Perhaps make Pirates neutral to England and Holland, since at that time the pirates probably were English and possibly Dutch privateers. That gives them somewhere to repair ships and sell loot without worrying about a false flag being recognised.
True. At the moment I do have the game set up so that the PLAYER is neutral to the pirates when their nation doesn't have an island. Didn't make the actual nations friendly to the pirates though.
Do you reckon that is needed too?

One more thing to do on this one if I recall: @Jack Rackham was going to add a tailor shop for the Dutch and English tailors to Tortuga in Early Explorers.
Right now they are there somewhere, but quite hard to find.

Back