• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Edit Character stats

psykopatsak

Landlubber
Hello! Can I edit my characters stats in the build mod? I'm asking, since the mod renames the normal files, presumably because these are not the once used because of the different profiles etc?

Anyways, I'm asking because I accidentally pressed the GOD MODE to ON, and now I'm depending on it to survive a single sword strike, because of non-existent melee skill.

God mode should not stop your melee skill from increasing the more fighting you do - at least as far as I know.

So you should be able to increase it eonugh to enable you to survive combat. ( there are also some items ( books ) that give a melee skill bonus if you can get them ).

Some of the code in the console file in the program folder can also be used to alter the Skills & abilities ( not sure which bit though )

The console is executed by Pressing F12

:doff

Code:
PChar.skill.Fencing = "10";
through console would give you the maximum fencing skill.

Beta 2 seriously limits your melee skill improvement. By level 15 or so you will get no more improvement. I am at level 64 and the only way to improve your melee skills is to meet a teacher in town and pay his price. I was never able to increase my skills by even a single full point on my own. :eek: So that old term "discretion over valour" becomes mighty important.
Also, what sword you use makes a big difference to your survival. The progression for me is to first get the Sabre of Nicholas Sharp on Kralendijk, then get either the sword of Sir Walter Raleigh at Port Au Prince or better yet get the sword of Bartolomeu at Cayman.

Do you have any idea since what modpack version it has become so difficult to increase your fencing skill? At the moment, I have no clue what could have causes that issue.

All I can remember is that it started late last year, which makes it either the last beta 1 patch or beta 2.

Would you be able to figure it out? Otherwise this is going to be a real hard one to track down.

Then it's not godmode but rather the new build. Though I do only get experience from when my allies kill something. I don't know if this is due to godmode or not, I haven't killed anything while not in godmode.

Might be a helpful pointer.

I can reinstall build 14 patch 7 and play it for a week or so to see what happens. I have no earlier versions.

I'm up to level 8 in beta 1 patch 7 and still getting increases in melee skills in combat. I am also still a 1 stroke kill.............. But! I just got a golden cuirass, so maybe things will get better.

The melee skill increases are slowing down dramatically, and the fighting has become almost impossible. After finishing the tutorial my melee skill was 3-32%. After level 10 it was 3-96%. I'd say that the trigger to extreme difficulty occurs after level 10. I'm about to go to level 13 and it is at 3-97%. I can survive a one on one sword fight half the time, but my officers are dead meat. I picked up Bartolomeu and did his quest. I had to keep my officers on the ship and during combat I ran around and let Bart-o-Port do the fighting. This is normal. It won't be until my officers get armor that combat will become possible again.

In PROGRAM\MAXIMUS_Functions.c, find:
Code:
    //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    // Adjust the skill gained by character level, skill level and uneven gain in skills
    //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

// Experience in each skill is worth more at low skill levels
    skillExp = skillExp * (11 - sti(_refCharacter.skill.(expName)));    // this produces 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

// Adjust for uneven gain in skills
    int expMult = 1;
    if (_exp < 1000)
    {
        switch (expName)
        {
//        case "Leadership":    expMult =  3; break;    // LDH 30Apr09
        case "Fencing":        expMult =  3; break;
        case "Sailing":        expMult =  1; break;    // included for completeness
        case "Accuracy":    expMult =  1; break;    // included for completeness
        case "Cannons":        expMult =  1; break;    // included for completeness
        case "Repair":
            expMult = 50;                            // repair is a lot of small skill gains, minimum of 20 sent by repair functions
            if (sti(_refCharacter.rank) < 3)        // keeps player from getting repair skill 5 or 6 in the tutorial - 25Feb09
            {
                expMult = 20;
            }
            break;
        case "Defence":        expMult =  6; break;
        case "Sneak":        expMult =  3; break;
        }
    }
    // Things we don't handle in the exp<1000 test above
    if (expName == "Leadership") expMult = 3;    // LDH moved outside of test - 30Apr09
    if (expName == "Grappling")  expMult = 4;    // grappling is always high experience but doesn't happen often. - 30Apr09
    if (expName == "Commerce") skillExp /= 2;    // commerce is usually high, we're cutting it in half here so above test is wrong for this

skillExp *= expMult;
That's the code related to this. Anyone care to mess around with that a bit?

I made level 13 last night and armor is now available. :bounce I passed some around to my officers and combat is solid now for them. Non armor combat was not possible. I boarded a French merchant ship that we outnumbered and on the first deck my crew, officers, and myself were killed. Bart-O-Port was the only survivor. I killed two surrendered Captains in single combat last night and got no skill increase.

I plan on playing this another day or two to confirm that all improvement has stopped. I do not understand those numbers. Does 10 give more improvement or does 1?

Depends on what part of the code you're looking at. Higher expMult gives quicker increases.

Ah. In a couple of more levels if there is no fencing increase I will bump that up a number at a time.

It wasn't a bad system, to be sure. Though the "experience" version makes for interesting gameplay too, as it forces you into fights before you're good at it yet.
And you'd better do it early as otherwise you end up behind everyone else. IF the system would work properly, that is. Which clear, at the moment, it doesn't.

The manual system is fine, but the auto system adds another layer of complexity to the game. One's actions do have consequences, sometimes unintended. If one wants to change something, he needs to actively work for it. Unless the system is broken...............

Well, I bumped fencing up to "4" and started getting slight increases right away. I'm up to level 15 and 4-04%. I'm thinking about going to "5" but first I installed a plain beta1 game and then looked at MAXIMUS. It is the same as Patch 7! That means that the changes that were made are somewhere else. :facepalm The consensus last fall was that POTC starts out too hard and then after a bit gets too easy. Now it starts off fairly easy. Right after the tutorial I can go down into the Speightstown dungeon by myself and survive! :dance And it stays ok until after level 10. Right there is where it all falls apart. Suddenly one's opponents are very tough. Armor and magic swords are one's only hope.

I bumped fencing up to 5 and also bumped sneak up to 4 because at higher levels (+50) it falls behind the others. I got skill increases, but not big increases. Level 16 and 4-25%. I will now move to another game with much higher levels to see if this makes a difference there. This is still just a band aid for something that got changed somewhere else.

Nope. At level 57 there is no skill increase from combat. Something else is clamping it down.

Back