• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Enemy Town Guards Too Strong during Quests

You could easily test this. Edit these values in InternalSettings.h:
Code:
#define CHAR_HITPOINTS_PER_LEVEL        10        // INT - The amount of hitpoints which is added to a character's maximum hitpoints on each level up
#define CHAR_START_HITPOINTS            40        // INT - The amount of hitpoints any character starts with at level 1
Change to "100" and "5".
That's going to throw all of the game balancing out of whack though, isn't it? All the blades and guns. :shock

New game required..........:facepalm

It might make you too strong at the start but if it works like I hope it does melee will level out and slowly get harder.

First thoughts:
In the tutorial Malcolm cut me down just as bad as always. I left with a melee level of 3. Did the rest of the tutorial and found a worn Katsbalger so went into the dungeons. I could usually get the first guy but the next ones got me. One time I got three! But there was a fourth....
So that one stroke kill is no more, but it is far from easy.

Next went to Willemstad and got an average Walloon sword. Great defense! Then tried a town guard, three times I would shoot him which dropped his HP to 193-197 then strike, which he blocked. Then he would strike and Walloon with a block up made no difference. One stroke kill every time.

One on one with a common thug. Got ambushed but took off running around the corner of a building where I set up my own ambush. When he came around the corner I shot him with a worn long pistol and then we went at it. I won and was only half dead. If I had not shot him it would have been very close.

What I'll do is to put some code in place to make this "strong" effect ONLY work for actual town guards.
Any other characters would be left alone and that should include other soldiers. I know how to do that and will set it up soon.
Then we can see if things have returned to normal... :wp

That's perfect! Two rabbits in one hit! I know the true expression in Portuguese but it fails me how to spell the expression in english :p

I'm halfway through the islands now. Once I'm done, we'll see what happens.

Pieter, I deleted the chunk of code from the char file. Now, whenever I near the city's gates, there are no guards, which is good but... I get stuck, just like if the guards existed and stopped me to talk. I cannot talk or anything else...

Wha? That doesn't make much sense.
Anyway, I think I've just about got the "proper" fix done. Will be part of a pack that I'll be uploading later today.

Yep, tested and confirmed doing what I want it to:
ONLY those characters I set as "guard" are proper strong. And those are only the REAL town guards.
So any quest-added characters will be excluded and will keep their Beta 2.3 strength instead.

You don't know how happy I am by hearing that!!! :monkeydance
Glad to hear it! See, we don't mess things up on purpose! And we fix what we break. If we find it and can figure out how it happened, that is. :razz

Ehehe, I thought that it was hopeless to play the game due to not be able to progress through the quests... And that a fix would take a long time to come, but no! After just 1-2 days, after my report, a fix appears! :D

Grats for that!

Well, truth be told, I only broke it quite recently, so I knew where to look. Wasn't so much of a bug as it is an unintended side-effect. But you only find out about those if you try something.
So I tried it, we found it and now hopefully my attempted fix will put it right again without sacrificing the original intent of it. :cheeky

Hmmph. I just went through that portion of the main quest and had no trouble with those two guards at all using the old settings. It just takes a little talking.

I sailed to Bridgetown to do that quest and there was a battle going on. Two pirate ships, two french ships, and the fort. By the time I got there in my Hoy the battle was over. The pirates sailed away and both French ships had surrendered. Cool! A free ship!
Both Captains were armed with musket and Dirk. The first one easily killed me every time and I finally gave up on him. I could not penetrate his block and he two or three stroke killed me. I have an excellent back bladed side sword now. A very good weapon. He commanded a fastmerchantman too!
The same thing happened with the next one except he did not have as much HP. Still much more than I at 115HP. Then he surrendered to me and I hired him. It turns out I have much more HP than him and we are both level 4 melee. So how did he kill me so easily? Is there some multiplier for Captains?

I'm not at all sure of additional modifiers; I don't think so. What is your difficulty level?
If you remember, anything above Journeyman literally stacks the cards against you in fights.

I am on swashbuckler and can hold my own against bounty hunters and such one on one. I was just really surprised at how much the deck is stacked against me with those two Captains. They were far superior to me aboard ship but that one at least has just more than half of my HP now and we both have the same abilities.....none.

Umm, I just made it to Speightstown in this WIP 7 game. Level 4, melee 4. Those two guards are still at full strength, and this time they would not let me pass, no matter what dialog I tried. Fighting them is out of the question as they are far too strong.
But! I was able to run around them and get into town. Once I was all the way in the quest continued normally and I got Massoni to tell me about the Oiseau.
So this quest is almost but not quite broken because of those town guards.

That is with a new game or from an earlier savegame? That particular change doesn't take effect unless you start a new game.
If it WAS a new game, then apparently those are the REAL town guards being used there and not any quest characters. Well, that's annoying. :rumgone

We could make the "strong town guard" code NOT take effect on Apprentice difficulty level.
That would put an end to it for sure and make the Standard storyline as playable as it was before.
Unless people change the difficulty level before starting a new game, that is. :facepalm
Alternate idea is to actually rewrite that part of the storyline code, but that would require much more time and effort on my part,
because I'd have to play to get to that point myself.

Any preferences on how to address this further?

Back