• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Engine Crash Windows 10

Wolve

Sailor
Howdy people!
I got a problem when trying to get the game running on my laptop (ASUS N551JB). Installation was no problem (installed at C:\Bethesda\PotC as recommended) and the game does start. However, as soon as I try to start a new game it just crashes. Had no problems getting it on my desktop with Windows 7.

Specs of the laptop:
Intel Core i7 4720HQ
8 GB RAM
Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4600 & Nvidia GeForce 940M

Been googleling and tried a number of solutions (also from this forum):
- Run game with Nvidia GPU forced and as Admin (since it has 2 GPUs)
- Check DirectX updates
- Run game with compatibility set to WinXP servicepack 2 and 3

Would love to have it running again :) anyone got any suggestions? Thnx in advance!

Thnx! Will try that solution :) was indeed hoping I could run it on the Nvidia one (saw that solution before but people said they had FPS losses).
I guess I need to force it on the intel GPU now? Will post if that worked.

Also, great mod! ^^

saw that solution before but people said they had FPS losses
We've had another solution before: SwiftShader software rendering was the first.
That one most definitely caused performance and stability issues.

This new fix doesn't and performance should be quite normal with it.
It really has only one disadvantage: The sea doesn't look as good.
But that's a small price to pay for the game working at all. :cheeky

I guess I need to force it on the intel GPU now?
No need to force it on the Intel GPU. You can just install the fix and see if the game does work with that.
If it does, then that is proof enough that the game is indeed already running from the Intel GPU.
Then you should try to do the opposite and make the game run on the other GPU.
You can easily uninstall the fix again afterwards. It is only a small file which has an uninstaller included.

Ok the fix indeed worked, thnx :) I just installed it with the settings that should force it to use the Nvidia GPU and now the game runs. What I dont understand is why it has the Intel problem when it should use the Nvidia GPU. I had (and still have) the following settings:
Pot_Cset1.jpg

and
Pot_Cset2.jpg

I think that should be correct right? If not, what can I try?

Maybe @Thagarr or @Hylie Pistof would know?
All I myself know is that it can take a fair bit of convincing to make it work.
But I never had to do it, so I don't know how....

:ahoy

Laptops are too complicated for their own good. What I remember from others who solved this problem is that the power profile has to be set to performance in order for the nvidia graphics to work. What is happening is that you tell it to use nvidia but the power profile tells it to use intel. Guess who wins?

I have tried looking up solutions for this problem for quite some time. Unfortunately it is not just POTC that is effected, there are many games that run in to this issue. From what I have been able to find, it is something in the Intel driver that assumes since the game is trying to access much older DirextX library calls, that Intel's built in graphics should handle it with no problems and doesn't hand it off to the Nvidia chip. It ignores what the user settings are and makes the decision it's self. Intel doesn't seem to be in much of a hurry to fix this either.

Windows 10 is partly to blame as well, because it follows similar logic. Turing off some of Windows 10 "features" is a solution that works for some people on some games, but doesn't work for others. The only real solution that I have found that does work is an actual physical hardware switch. Unfortunately, that is an expensive solution, as it requires buying a new laptop with a hardware switch.

Back