• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Engine.exe CTD

Ssiissuu

Landlubber
Hi there, I've just recently re-installed POTC and the fantastic build mod, but I am encountering constant crashes to desktop caused by the dastardly engine.exe. I recall having a similar issue with one of the versions of Build 12, which was remedied by Build 13, and I thought the issue long departed. I'm also able to run POTC vanilla without issue, though the experience is decidedly unsatisfactory after having played the BuildMod.

I've installed and used the BuildMod before, and as recently as as Build14 alpha10 I was able to run the game without issue, but with the installation of Build14 beta1 with the latest patch posted I am crashing to desktop seemingly randomly when entering the sea view. More specifically about half the time I enter sea view I CTD during the loading screen. I have not encountered any issues with walking about on land and using the fast travel on land, the seaview is the only thing that seems to be crashing. I would love to post logs for someone to sift for information, but no logs are being generated when I crash. I get the standard error in engine.exe in ModName sea_ai.dll, and nothing more.

My engine.ini looks like this, yet fails to generate log files during a crash:
modules path = modules\
full_screen = 1
screen_x = 1024
screen_y = 768
;screen_x = 1024
;screen_y = 768
;screen_x = 768
;screen_y = 576
lockable_back_buffer = 0
screen_bpp = D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8
texture_degradation = 0
controls = pcs_controls
program_directory = PROGRAM
run = seadogs.c
show_fps = 0
safe_render = 0
texture_log = 0
geometry_log = 0
;offclass = soundservice
mem_profile = memory.mp
startFontIniFile = resource\ini\fonts.ini
font = interface_normal
numoftips = 0
tracefilesoff = 1
[script]
debuginfo = 1
codefiles = 0
runtimelog = 0

[sound]
sound path = resource\sounds\

[stats]
memory_stats = 0
update_mem_profile = 0

I've attached a directx diagnostic output with this post, but for a quick glance, this is my system:
WinXp Pro Sp3
Core2Quad Q6600 clocking at 2.40ghz
2 gigs of ram.
GeForce 9800 GT 512mb
SoundBlaster X-Fi Gamer Edition
DX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Anyway I can ensure the game generates log files at crash time to help the team sort this? I'd love to be able to help clear this issue so I can get back to sailing in this feature packed mod. I've reinstalled POTC and reinstalled Build14Beta1 Full with patch 1 on top of it all, and the issue is persisting. Ideas?

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    51.1 KB · Views: 138
Turn on error log and when you have a crash attach a copy of your system.log and compile.log (AND error.log) if there is one

Turn on error log and when you have a crash attach a copy of your system.log and compile.log (AND error.log) if there is one

Thank-you for your very quick response, 'Captain Maggee'. As per the post in the BuildMod FAQ in regards to error logging, under General BuildMod; item 4, I have "debuginfo" set to on. And yet, as I posted above, I am unable to generate any logs at crash time. Are there any settings elsewhere which I must also set in order to ensure that logging is enabled?

It sounds like the FAQ is still messed up. Here is my engine.ini. All I have changed is the screen resolution and enabled error logs. It works for me.

BTW, I have a similar system and have nothing but trouble with B14. When I get frustrated with B14 I play B13 for a bit. I have completed the main quest twice in B13, but haven't achieved that milestone yet in B14.

Also, I get that sea_ai.dll error by the dozen.

modules path = modules\
full_screen = 1
screen_x = 1280
screen_y = 1024
;screen_x = 1024
;screen_y = 768
;screen_x = 768
;screen_y = 576
lockable_back_buffer = 0
screen_bpp = D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8
texture_degradation = 0
controls = pcs_controls
program_directory = PROGRAM
run = seadogs.c
show_fps = 0
safe_render = 0
texture_log = 0
geometry_log = 0
;offclass = soundservice
mem_profile = memory.mp
startFontIniFile = resource\ini\fonts.ini
font = interface_normal
numoftips = 0
tracefilesoff = 0
[script]
debuginfo = 1
codefiles = 0
runtimelog = 1

[sound]
sound path = resource\sounds\

[stats]
memory_stats = 0
update_mem_profile = 0

Thanks for the response Miklkit, I've added the 'runtimelog = 1' line, as you have it, into my own engine.ini. I am however without a use for it, currently, as the crashing has ceased. I spent last evening trying all sorts of different settings to try and isolate the crashing issue, and I think I've found it. The sea_ai.dll crashes were encountered within a few iterations of transitioning to the sea view, from map, or land, or what have you, greater than a 50% occurrence at a go. No more. While I am unsure if this is the exact same issue that you are encountering, Miklkit, you may want to have a try, all the same.

Deck view at sea. Setting this to stock POTC settings, in the options, resolved the crashes for me. Within the frame of four hours of testing, and after starting a new game, I've yet to crash again.

Thanks for the help all and prompt responses, hope someone else is helped by this little find. Now for some sailin'. :sail

Most of what you wrote is Greek to me, but I did look at the "deck view at sea". It is set to stock in both B14 installs.

I have recently heard about crashes people have when they "Moor" and do something on their ship before walking to the port, I always use "Port/Shore" and this maybe why I dont have the issues

So make sure if you make port you go to the actually port before trying to sail again

Back