• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Engine.EXE Errors

Anhedonic93

Powder Monkey
Hi

I'm getting engine.exe errors (encountered a problem and needs to close) resulting in a CTD when in 1st or 3rd person view when using direct sail. The CTD's occur when I get a LandHo! notification, a "SailHo!" notification or when entering exiting the world map. These are intermitant and do not occur everytime, but occur often enough to make the game unplayable with the 14 Beta 1 build.

If you are also having the same problem but haven't yet reported it, please reply to this post because I've been told that no one can help me and that I am the only one experiencing this problem.

Thanks

I got that error in my first install of build 13. In fact that is what killed it. I was stuck and unable to go anywhere in either 3d or world view. So far, this install of build 13 is ok. I don't believe I have gotten that error in build 14 tho. In the macroshaft error report you can scroll down and it will show you the specific problem. With my ctd's it's something like geometry.dll, sea_ai.dll, stackhash, etc. I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that this massive amount of errors is caused by a bad download or installer. I'm getting errors right from the start of a new clean install. I'm on build 14-5 now.

I got that error in my first install of build 13. In fact that is what killed it. I was stuck and unable to go anywhere in either 3d or world view. So far, this install of build 13 is ok. I don't believe I have gotten that error in build 14 tho. In the macroshaft error report you can scroll down and it will show you the specific problem. With my ctd's it's something like geometry.dll, sea_ai.dll, stackhash, etc. I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that this massive amount of errors is caused by a bad download or installer. I'm getting errors right from the start of a new clean install. I'm on build 14-5 now.

Cheers matey

One question, what's the macroshaft error report and where can I find it!?

Umm, that's the microsoft error report that often shows up on your screen when potc crashes. I'll try to take a screenie of one the next time I get one.

Umm, that's the microsoft error report that often shows up on your screen when potc crashes. I'll try to take a screenie of one the next time I get one.

Ha ha! No, I'm with you, think we were at crossed purposes there - I'll have a more detailed look at it next time it pops up.

Cheers

AARRGGHH!! Ya jinxed me! :ko

I started getting those ctds tonite. First going from Santiago to Turk. After 4 ctds I gave up. Went south the Phillipsburg, then Nevis and the pirate camp. Got in ok but couldn't leave! Went back 3 saves and continued. Picked up a quest at Santo Domingo. Went to Jamaica ok. The quest needs to go back to S.D. but there is no way to get there. Ctds no matter how I try to do it. :modding

AARRGGHH!! Ya jinxed me! :ko

I started getting those ctds tonite. First going from Santiago to Turk. After 4 ctds I gave up. Went south the Phillipsburg, then Nevis and the pirate camp. Got in ok but couldn't leave! Went back 3 saves and continued. Picked up a quest at Santo Domingo. Went to Jamaica ok. The quest needs to go back to S.D. but there is no way to get there. Ctds no matter how I try to do it. :modding

Arrrgghh matey, I'm sorry!

For the first time since installing the 14 eta 1 build, I've beena ble to play for nearly a full half and hour without having any CTD. What did I do differently? In the advanced options menu, under the Deck View At Sea option, I chose STOCK, External camera, rather than camera view on deck. This seems to have made a difference. I also installed the latest Nvidia drivers for my card, although not sure how much this had to do with it. hope this helps. Will update Captain Maggee on my other post (entitled PATCH? in build technical) with this info and see what he has to say.....

I'll keep on testing this though, and will let you know either way.

Cheers

I have always used that view. Have you tried ENB? That made a small difference for me in reducing graphic issues.

I tried getting to Santo Domingo by another route. Jamaica to Curacao to Sao Jorge by world view. Np. Then headed East in 3d mode using the "g" key. Went past Barbados. At Martinique I saw a rowboat with 3 men in it. Drifted up to it and it disappeared with no dialogue. Went past Guadaloupe, Nevis, and was approaching Puerto Rico when Isla Mona grabbed me. Got lucky this time. Usually it tosses me to the East shore of Hispaniola. This time it let me sail past it to Puerto Rico where I encountered 2 Pirate Frigates sitting there with sails furled. I'm sailing an East Indiaman with 32lb carronades. The class 4 Pinnace has 12lb carronades, and the Frigate has 18lb long guns. We sailed right up to them and broadsided them down pretty quickly. I wuz circling picking up cargo when "Sail Ho!" and a ctd.

These logs are much longer.

Code:
All slots in AIGroups are used, need to resize array!!!
Group_FindOrCreateGroup sGroupID = Directenc89, can't create group 

That is the first thing ever that has popped up in one of the logs that may lead to a CTD

OH and you dont have to comprss logs to 7z they are already tiny and doing it just means an extra step for us to look at them

Thanks guys

Just one question - what's ENB? (Sorry if I'm being dim!)

Also can I confirm what cannon sizes I should be seeing in shipyards, cos I'm only seeing 12lbs, 16lbs, 24lbs and 32lbs but have heard people mention cannon sizes smaller?

Thanks

ENB is a graphics improvement for PotC. You can get it here. My link

I zipped them because I don't like walls of text in threads. If you don't mind, ok. I tried to post them unzipped and got "You have posted a message with more emoticons that this board allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message". I really want you to look at these 2.

You should be able to just attach the log files (NOT TEXT) so that the files are system.log and error.log instead of zips. This way we can just open it with notepad instead of having to unzip it before opening it

That one is got the crash in it but not why

The game ran like it's supposed to last night. I lost track of time and darn near watched the sun rise. Will try just the log files when it ctds again.

Windoze keeps track of problem programs. I discovered that PotC crashed 47 times from March 5th to March 23rd. But. Since the last crash that I posted an error report on I deleted all saved games and started over. Only 3 crashes since then and it seems to be running better. Discovered ffdshow got installed on this rig and fixed it so Potc is ok. Sound is a little better. The memory thing in the error report is worrisome, but this rig has successfully run programs that are for 64 bit systems only because they use so much ram, even tho it is running Vista 32bit.

I'm curious as to why some ships have no flags and/or no crew, while others in the same class do.

Six times I tried, and six times I died. No more build 14 for me. I've been playing build 13 for 3 days straight with no troubles. I guess 13 is my lucky number!

Back