• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Erroneous install error

Ereandur

Landlubber
Hey there,

After reinstalling a copy I found in a thrift shop of POTC 2003, I decided to download the new horizons mod. After doing it correctly (I think) I launched the game and I got an error message. The error message read: Erroneous install, be sure to use the installer.Exe. I Downloaded the files from ModDB, the files are:

b14_beta4_final (on the site marked as: content archive

Build14_installer_25052018 (marked as installer on the site.)

The install path I have made is as follows: C:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Pirates of the Caribbean

I hope I gave enough information :)

If I recall, that error shows up if the "b14_beta4_final.tar" file is NOT installed automatically through the EXE.

Yeah I did that! i have it in one folder called downloads on my desktop, and then install it to set path to the game. Anything else that could go wrong?
I added a picture of both files in one folder. Did I do it right or did I mess up? XD

Attachments

• pic folder downloads.docx
    126.2 KB · Views: 246
Last edited by a moderator:
Did you do anything to "b14_beta4_final"? It's showing up on that screenshot as a WinRAR file, though that could also happen if WinRAR has been set as the default application for .tar files. Right-click on the file, check "Details", and make sure it is still "b14_beta4_final.tar".

Were there any warning messages while you were running the installer?

So I just checked and it does say .tar in both details and properties. No additional error messages while installing either.

Attachments

• Tar file confirmation.docx
    442 KB · Views: 214
Did you deselect the "main archive" in the installer EXE by any chance?

If that one IS enabled (like it should be the first time):
1. It'll check if the .tar file can be found; if not, it'll tell you
2. It'll check if the .tar file is OK; if not, it'll tell you
3. If both checks pass, it'll extract the contents; you'll know this happens because it takes quite a while
4. When complete, it'll check if it was successful; if not, it'll give the error about erroneous install

What happens before #4 triggers?

So, I'm a techno barbarian, where would I find the main archive on that? Because the buildinstaller I have is only an Exe with no additional files in it. Where do I find this main archive?

#questions from a modding noob.

So, I'm a techno barbarian, where would I find the main archive on that? Because the buildinstaller I have is only an Exe with no additional files in it. Where do I find this main archive?

#questions from a modding noob.
It's just another name for "b14_beta4_final.tar".
When you click through the installer wizard, you get to a point where you can (de)select some stuff if you want.

These are the options where I can select and deselect stuff, no mention of main archive :(

I have the .tar file unextracted in the folder, so that is correct am I right?

Attachments

• selection install..docx
    2.2 MB · Views: 228
Sorry, I meant "Main Files". I was writing from memory and couldn't quite remember... :oops:

I have done so, this yields no result, it simply results in the same error message, I can play the base game, (with the lag that the mod fixes however) I do hope you guys have a solution XD Cause i have not seen anyone with my particular problems on the forums.

When you install, does one of the steps take a lot of time?
I'm wondering if the first step somehow gets skipped.
But that doesn't make sense, because you should get a bunch of different error messages then too...

Not that I can judge, it just extracts them and looks like it is installing them. I have added screenshots of my file list of the game and of its extracting process so you can see if anything is visually wrong with it. I have noticed that after extracting the main modpack files it starts to label it installing, but then goes to extract a whole bunch of shit. I hope the pics help.

I tried installing again, it gives the erroneous install error, and specifies I should use the installer.exe, and says I used the default program file folder. Does that help?

Attachments

• files plus installing process.docx
    3.8 MB · Views: 251
Just FYI you can open exe in 7-zip file manager and extract files manually

And the installer says it is extracting files, I added the screenshots. So I guess this is a weird bug that cant be fixed ey? :(

And the installer says it is extracting files, I added the screenshots. So I guess this is a weird bug that cant be fixed ey? :(
Those two progress bars do look promising, because at least some stuff happens.
In fact, I think I misunderstood you before. You don't get any error DURING the installation process at all, do you?

Can you show a screenshot of the contents of your RESOURCE folder?
I may be beginning to understand what is going on...

Back