• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Exclusive Q&A with Octane Games!

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
Ahoy mates! I have some great news today, I have been in contact with a couple of the big wigs over at Octane Games, and they have graciously agreed to give us an exclusive email interview about their upcoming pirate game Raven's Cry! I am pretty dense when it comes to asking all the right question sometimes, so I need some help from you mates so we can interrogate them proper! Please post any questions you have about the game below and when we have enough, I will fire off a list of em to Octane so we can find out just what kind of booty they have in store! You can find all the info we have so far on the game in my other Raven's Cry topic HERE!

I'll get things started with a couple of questions I have about the game :

1. Will Raven's Cry be an open ended game where you are free to choose your own path, or will there be a rigid set story line?

2. Will there be a dynamic economic model with prices of goods based on supply and demand, or will there even be a trading option in the game?

3. Will the game support modding?

3a - what level of modding will it support ----- bare minimum that insults the world like Sid Meier's Pirates -- or true modding as referenced in games like Oblivion.

4. Copy protection - is there any, and what kind?

5. Will it utilize any sort of digital distribution system such as Steam or Windows Live?

This game sounds intriguing...

Is Christopher Raven the only character you are allowed to play?

If more, then how many different RPG characters will it allow?

Will there be multiple story lines within the Raven story line or will there be other available story lines outside the main Scottish boy escaping the famine ruined by pirates?

If so, will they be able to play under other factions?

If so, how many factions will there be? - and will they be historically believeable/feasible?

Will it support distributive play with multiple players online in the same game?

Why Scottish? There were WAY more Irish pirates historically - they had way more of a bone to pick (motivation) and a few made good ascending to some prominent positions historically. The Civil War poured into Ireland in a bad way. Look at bloody Drogheda. Cromwell in Ireland is still bitterly remembered to this day. Fiction is full of good examples: Peter Blood was an Irish surgeon caught taking care of rebels.

FROM Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Drogheda "Parliamentary Colonel Axtell, "offered to spare the lives of the governor and the 200 men with him if they surrendered on the promise of their lives, which they did".[27] According to Axtell, the disarmed men were then taken to a windmill and killed about an hour after they had surrendered.[27] Arthur Aston was reportedly beaten to death with his own wooden leg which the New Model Army soldiers believed had gold hidden in it.[28] Cromwell wrote of the incident, "our men getting up to them, were ordered by me to put them all to the sword".[26] Another group of about 80 Royalist soldiers sought refuge in St Peter's church at the northern end of Drogheda. Parliamentarian soldiers led by John Hewson, on Cromwell's orders, set fire to the Church.[23] Some 30 of the defenders were burned to death in the fire and 50 more were killed outside when they fled the flames.[29] Drogheda from the south. In the foreground is the river Boyne, which the defenders fled over. Centre is St Peter's Church where around 80 Royalists soldiers were killed in the sack of the town.The final major concentration of Royalist soldiers was 200 men, who had been stationed in two towers. They stayed in the towers during the sack of the town but surrendered the following day, September 12. All of the officers and one in every ten ordinary soldiers were killed by being clubbed to death The rest were deported to Barbados.[30] The heads of 16 Royalist officers were cut off and sent to Dublin, where they were stuck on pikes on the approach roads.[31] Any Catholic clergy found within the town were killed by being clubbed to death or, "knocked on the head", as Cromwell put it,[32] including two who were executed the following day." Contemporary clergy estimates of the civilains massacred are figured at about 4,000.

Or is it that this is a purely - revenge against pirates - story? There are a couple of historical exceptions. William Kidd was a born in Scotland, but he never considered himself a pirate even up until his death emphatically denying it. ****Thagarr, there's a good story for the site Mate...they found some documents a few years back that would have exonerated him....so he was innocent???

MK

Good questions mates, keep em coming! :onya

MK, maybe they were going for the Billy Bones(Finlay Currie) sound! xD:

I remember reading something about those Kidd documents a couple of years ago, I can't remember if something was posted on the forums about it though. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything. :shrug

His is one of the most fascinating story's in all of pirate history in my opinion. As with most things though, I am sure the real story isn't quite as simple as black and white, but many shades of gray. I'm sure the French considered him a pirate. Rupert brings up a good point, his former backers would have turned on him without hesitation to save there own buts, or their bank accounts.

Question:

What will the sailing experience be like?
eg - proper ships like PotC & CoAS ---- or "toy ships" ( I don't mean that in a derogatory sense) eg Tortuga - Two Treasures & Pirates of the Black Cove.

:piratesahoy!

Great question mate! A pirate aint a pirate without a proper ship! As we have seen over the years with the Build Mod, ships are as essential as characters and can influence the game on almost the same level!

As it stands right now, I'm planning on sending off these questions to Octane games next week, so if anyone has any more questions, you only have a few more days to post them!

Another question I have : Will Raven's Cry be built on and existing graphics engine, or will the engine be designed specifically for the game?

Question:

What will the sailing experience be like?
eg - proper ships like PotC & CoAS ---- or "toy ships" ( I don't mean that in a derogatory sense) eg Tortuga - Two Treasures & Pirates of the Black Cove.

thpirateshipff.gif

Yeah! What are the ship and sea physics like? Realistic or Nintendo?

I don't know why, but thinking about this topic has me remembering a Viking movie starring Kirk Douglas back in the late 1950s or early 1960s.

Aye, 'The Vikings' was a good movie! Kirk Douglas was awesome as usual! A bit fanciful in most respects, but they did have a surprising amount fairly accurate for Hollywood standards. Not quite sure why this topic reminds you of it though. :shrug

Maybe I'm getting my movies mixed up, but doesn't someone get their hand chopped off?

Ah yes, I had forgotten, it's been a while since I watched it! And also the scene where he gets his eye plucked out, I am beginning to see what you mean! Maybe Octane will have Raven jumping through a stained glass window too! :onya

I've got a couple more:

-Can you wander around on/command from the deck of your ship when at sea?

-What's the game world like? How many islands are there, and who owns them? Can ownership nationalities be changed?

-Can you have companion animals a la Fable 3, like, say, a Parrot?

Parrots would be awesome! :woot

Ok, got a couple more...

Can you set up a secluded pirate base to careen and resupply your ship? Or are repairs and provisions only available at a port or shipyards?

How will ship boarding work? Will it be handled by cut scene or will it be full blown 3D melee combat?

Ah yes, I had forgotten, it's been a while since I watched it! And also the scene where he gets his eye plucked out, I am beginning to see what you mean! Maybe Octane will have Raven jumping through a stained glass window too! :onya

That is a great movie! I have that one in my expansive collection.

Tony Curtis gets his hand cut of for defying the Saxon King of Mercia (England). Both Tony Curtis and Kirk Douglas are the sons of Ragnar the Viking King...but they don't know they are brothers until the end of the film. It's Tony Curtis's trained hawk that picks out Kirk Douglas's (Einar) eye when he orders it to attack.

QUESTION: So now this is making me think about character editing. So going on Rupert's comment on truly modible earlier.....will there be a character editor that is dynamic like those in Warband:Mount and Blade or Oblivion that allows you to tailor virtually every aspect of your character??? (face, hair, clothes, etc) In this case cut off hand and picked out scarred eye - and eye patch or white eye. Will it allow hooks and peg legs, crutches, or even....wait for it............... and this would be groung breaking for a video game....tattoos?

Now that would be cool! If any are interested in the best old movie source out there, look here: http://www.warshows.com/Search.bok?category=Top+10+Listings:1000+AD+to+1776

MK

Ok mates, I have sent off the list of questions to Octane, we had 17 total. They may not all get answered, but I think we gave them a pretty broad enough range that we should get some good information. As soon as I get a reply I will post it both here and on the main page. Thanks for your help mates, it is much appreciated! :dance

Not yet mate, it's likely to be a bit before they actually do reply. I am sure there are probably lawyers that have to get involved somewhere down the line. :rolleyes:

It's likely that all of the questions we asked won't get answered, but we should get answer's to most of them. I am going nuts waiting, I really want to know more about this game!! :woot

- Bump-

Has anyone heard anything from Octane Games ?

Have they forgotten to reply ( or just decided to ignore us ) ?

Has the game been cancelled ? :cry

Back