• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Expansion Pack

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Those who loved SeaDogs were truly disappointed by PotC...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can say that again. It seems to me that many of the `non-American` developers really make fine products, and are more devoted to perfection than their American counterparts. Well, that might not be true... American Publishers just get in the way.

For example, before there were any of those 1st person/ 3rd Person Squad/ Tactics Games like Rainbow 6, a Czech team created Hidden and Dangerous, an amazing game far far ahead of its day in regards to AI and replayablitly. Everytime you played the game, it was different. Hidden and Dangerous 2 came out a few years ago, and is also amazing. Now, it gets lost on the shelf between battlefiedl 1942, Call of Duty, and all of those Tom Clancy `knock-offs`.

IL2 Sturmavik is a Russian Flight Simulator which is heralded by several Flight Organizations as the most realistic flight simulator ever. Alledgedly, veteran pilots of the second world war tested the game and were awestruck by its accuracy.

A Ukrainian or Russian team created the Cossacks Franchise a few years back. Its a Rreal Time Strategy Game of the 17th and 18th centuries and the largest scale I've ever seen. Not only is it stunning graphically (something like 20 nations, each one different from the next) but amazing in its complexity. Battles generally consist of hundreds of troops per side, with exploding cannon and cavalry formations... truly amazing. One time I tested it and it took a nearly an hour and a half to sail from one end of the map to the other in a frigate. The maps are huge. They are releasing Cossacks 2: The Napoleonic Wars later this year. It should be amazing.

The one constant with these past three and the original Sea Dogs, is that the big American Publishers didn't get in the way. None of these games would have been made successfully in America. Here, things are reduced to the lowest common denominator. In America, publishers think that flight simulators don't want to learn all the real physics of flying, not to mention realistic engine controls, to fly a WWII flight simulator. Here, they want Real Time Strategy to be `real-time` in that missions take an hour at the most, like in Generals, not a week or more. Here, we want our FPS to make us feel strong and skilled, not emphasize how random war is, how bad the average person would be at it, and how planning and patience is the most important part of war. And for our pirate games, in America, we don't want realistic sailing, replayability, and historical accuracy, no, in America we want pretty graphics, fantasy ships, some `yo-ho`-ho and a bottle of rum.

I think that Akella is an overall good company. Seadogs was a great game, and still is. Had they allowed you to create your own character, rather than force you into the Nicholas Sharpe role, I would have been pleased, but it was acceptable. Akella is devoted to their fans, and I think they want to be respected for their work. For that reason, they will certainly release what Seadogs 2 was meant to be, and they might even throw something across the pond too.

...otherwise, I'll have to smuggle back a copy on my next visit to St. Petersburg.

You think they'll make the player's character more customizable in SD2? As with Morrowind and similar games, choosing a race and outfit and everything, and having it actually appear on the character?

Back