• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Father Bernard Dialogue Error

salonikasurf

Freebooter
Storm Modder
Build 14 - Beta 3.2 WIP 17 April 2014
Standard Storyline - Church Help Side Quest (Animist) After completing investigation of Father Jerald on Greenford and returning to Father Bernard to discuss and give the fake letters - dialogue breaks after Father Bernard says "What did you manage to find out?"

System log record: DIALOG: Invalid text or links, emergency exit! (last link = church_help_done)

This then prevents the Animist quest from progressing as well.:(

Do you have any .log files in your main game folder to go with that?

Hi Pieter,
Only record in the .log file was that shown in the system.log file as follows:
DIALOG: Invalid text or links, emergency exit! (last link = church_help_done)

This worked fine in Beta 3.1 - not sure what changed in the dialogue file - current one from my Beta 3.2 game folder attached.

Attachments

• Father Bernard_dialog.c
    31.5 KB · Views: 122
Got a savegame before you talk to him?

Hi Levis,
Save Game as requested. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• -=Player=- Jamaica.7z
    570.6 KB · Views: 106
The problem seems to be in this
Code:
iTest < QUEST_COUNTER &&

which is in the statement

Code:
case "church_help_done":
            dialog.snd = "Voice\FATB\FATB031";
            dialog.text = DLG_TEXT[82];
            Logit("quest " + npchar.quest.church_help + " counter " + QUEST_COUNTER + "iTest" + iTest);
            if (npchar.quest.church_help != "bad_dautch" && npchar.quest.church_help != "to_dautch" && npchar.quest.church_help != "after_off" && npchar.quest.church_help != "letters_1" && npchar.quest.church_help != "letters_2" && npchar.quest.church_help != "dautch_denied" && npchar.quest.church_help != "without_letters" && npchar.quest.church_help != "almost_done" && npchar.quest.church_help != "good_dautch" && npchar.quest.church_help != "good_off")
            {
                link.l1 = DLG_TEXT[84];
                link.l1.go = "exit";
            }
            if (iTest < QUEST_COUNTER && npchar.quest.church_help == "bad_dautch" || npchar.quest.church_help == "to_dautch" || npchar.quest.church_help == "after_off" || npchar.quest.church_help == "letters_1" || npchar.quest.church_help == "letters_2" || npchar.quest.church_help == "dautch_denied" || npchar.quest.church_help == "without_letters")
            {
                link.l1 = GetMyFullName(&Characters[GetCharacterIndex(DLG_TEXT[83])]) + DLG_TEXT[85];
                link.l1.go = "church_help_bad";
            }
            if (iTest < QUEST_COUNTER && npchar.quest.church_help == "almost_done" || npchar.quest.church_help == "good_dautch" || npchar.quest.church_help == "good_off" || npchar.quest.church_help == "without_letters")
            {
                link.l2 = GetMyFullName(&Characters[GetCharacterIndex(DLG_TEXT[86])]) + DLG_TEXT[88];
                link.l2.go = "church_help_good";
            }
        break;

If you remove that the quest does work properly. I think it has something todo with accepting the quest multiple times or something like that. I do not see why that value has to be there but maybe @Pieter Boelen knows? At least if you want to go on go to POTC\PROGRAM\DIALOGS\Father Bernard_dialog.c and remove the thing in the first code box from the case in the second code box.

I've seen that iTest/QUEST_COUNTER thing in more dialog files, but I have NO clue why it is there.

Levis you were definitely onto it. I had a look at this dialogue and there was a line commented out earlier in the file which relates to this issue. Putting it back in makes the quest work.
This is on Line 106 of the dialogue file: " //itest = iTest + 1;"
Change this to "itest = iTest + 1;" and the dialogue works without changing the "iTest < QUEST_COUNTER &&" code further down the file.

Please upload the correct file here :).

Ahoy,

My file looks like the "corrected" one here (with the "itest" bit included) but Father Bernard still has no option for me to tell him the letters were forged, and the conversation ends. All is well in the Quest Book.

As an aside, the first entry in the QB has Nathaniel ruminating that the Father might be able to tell him more about the "Mefisto". This has never been mentioned before in my game, so I don't know what to make of the reference. Should it only come up if something else has been triggered?

Is that the thing to extract on top of 3.2 to remove the new features? I haven't found any problems thus far except this dialogue glitch - boardings and the things that used to cause issues now seem fine to me. I haven't had a CTD while boarding, and very few otherwise. Perhaps only when the game's been on for hours. Is there a way to fix the dialogue without a new game or removing everything?

The features removed through the Beta 3.3 WIP are ones that simply do not work as intended.

But that seems to require a new game, or at least you recommend that Pieter. Is there something I can do to the file in order to let me progress as-is?

Mea culpa. I thought it was an installation .exe rather than a decompression. I've transferred the dialogue and will see what happens. Thanks for all the excellent work - who'd have thought we'd still be playing the same old game? Well, it isn't of course... ;)

Edit: It worked! Hurrah!

Now it allowed me to continue the conversation onto the "Mefisto". Again, I've never heard this mentioned in my game, so how is Nathaniel supposedly "personally investigating" it? Have I missed something somewhere?

Last edited:
Back