• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Few Questions for the Pros.

loudowg

Landlubber
Hi all,

I just got the game going one week ago. I am currently using the Build 13 update 3 MOD. Very fine work and I thank you. I have cruised the board in search of my questions, with no luck. Perhaps there is a more active forum for this game.? Seems the creators don't give two counts for the players.

Question: Do you gain from you three officers skills? Such as sailing. I am the captain of my main ship... does my officer with 10 sailing skill support me with 2?

Thanks.

Hi all,

I just got the game going one week ago. I am currently using the Build 13 update 3 MOD. Very fine work and I thank you. I have cruised the board in search of my questions, with no luck. Perhaps there is a more active forum for this game.? Seems the creators don't give two counts for the players.
Which forum have you been reading before Pirates Ahoy? This forum is definitely active and the creators do respond to questions from players. (Although these days the usual response to questions about Build 13 is some variant of "Use Build 14". ;))

Question: Do you gain from you three officers skills? Such as sailing. I am the captain of my main ship... does my officer with 10 sailing skill support me with 2?
I believe so. It's difficult to see what effect the Sailing skill has, but an officer with good Cannons and Accuracy skill definitely improves the effectiveness of my guns, while an officer with good Trading skill does affect prices. Some abilities also work; if one of my officers has the Trusted ability, I can sell illegal goods without needing the services of a smuggler. And some don't; having an officer with the various defence and repair abilities does not appear to do anything.

What doesn't work is the supposed career of the officer. The officer's Cannons skill will work whether he's listed as Gunner or some other occupation.

If you want support for PotC and especially the Build mods, you've come to the right place.
We're definitly very much active here and still working on making our modpacks better.

Although these days the usual response to questions about Build 13 is some variant of "Use Build 14".
Very true. But that's for a good reason, because our Build 14 work is JUST PLAIN COOL! :whipa

I believe so. It's difficult to see what effect the Sailing skill has, but an officer with good Cannons and Accuracy skill definitely improves the effectiveness of my guns, while an officer with good Trading skill does affect prices. Some abilities also work; if one of my officers has the Trusted ability, I can sell illegal goods without needing the services of a smuggler. And some don't; having an officer with the various defence and repair abilities does not appear to do anything.

What doesn't work is the supposed career of the officer. The officer's Cannons skill will work whether he's listed as Gunner or some other occupation.
And to confirm Grey Roger's statement that many answers involve some variant of "Use Build 14":
We definitly agree that the officer skill contribution is confusing at best, nor does it make very much sense.
That is why Aconcagua is currently working on a New Officer System that'll make this much clearer and more sensical too.

First of all, the officer skills and abilities that are contributed will be clearly defined per officer type.
Secondly, you'll be able to see an overview of the combined skill effect of the player + all officers in the interface.
Each officer will contribute only those skills that are actually relevant to his role.
You can change officers' roles if you want them to contribute their other skills.
Each officer will contribute his skills and not just the three 'active' ones that you can select in the interface.
This way, you will be able to use the three slots solely for boarding/shore officers and you don't need to do officer-swapping anymore.

Aconcagua is making very good progress and a lot of it is working very well as per my last tests with it.
All his updates will be included in Build 14 Alpha 9.5 Patch 4, which should soon be released.

Very true. But that's for a good reason, because our Build 14 work is JUST PLAIN COOL! :whipa
Not just plain cool but it also adds so much more variety to your game... I mean there is 5 storylines that are very playable with a couple of them coming very close to being FINISHED.
- Jack Sparrow
- Horatio Hornblower
- Bartolomeu o' Portugues
- Assassin
- Nathanial Hawk (vanilla)

So it is worth it just for that variety and then things like the Different Flag Mod just makes it AWESOME!!!! :dance

Thanks guys for all the responses. Pieter I most definitely look forward to the patch 4. You guys are simply amazing. I believe that the developers of PotC should be contacting you and offer you job positions. I am truly having a blast with this game.

Edit: I have installed the most recent 14 update 3

I'm still waiting for Aconcagua's latest update; unfortunately the current edition has some issues with
boarding that Aconcagua is still working on. But in the meantime, we're coming up with more cool stuff anyway. :razz

Personally I'm quite happy to do this stuff in my spare time.
As my professional work, I do something completely different. :cheeky

Pieter, cruising the boards I noticed you were in a sea going service as a Cadet? I am in the U.S. Coast Guard (9 years), which is also a sea going service. I guess that makes both of us real life pirates, Argg...

US Coast Guard? That's more like the opposite of pirating, isn't it? :cheeky
I've actually completed my cadetship now. In October, I'll get to work as qualified officer. :D

Build 14 Alpha 9.5 Patch 4

Can anyone tell me what the check marks by the numbers to your officers skills are for? Seems each officer has 2.

Thanks.

US Coast Guard? That's more like the opposite of pirating, isn't it? :cheeky
I've actually completed my cadetship now. In October, I'll get to work as qualified officer. :D

Congrats Pieter, that's an awesome accomplishment. You are going to have so much fun and see the world.

Can anyone tell me what the check marks by the numbers to your officers skills are for? Seems each officer has 2.
They indicate that officer's "natural abilities", shall we say.
Those are the skills that'll increase quicker than the others.
In the Select Storyline interface, you can select your own player type too. This is the same, only for you.
It helps in the Auto Skill System to decide what you want to quickly become better at.
For example, a Merchant will gain trading experience easily, but fencing will be slower.

Thanks Pieter.

Seems like the morale is harder to maintain with the patch 4. No matter what I do morale drops ..I have plenty of Rum and Food.

That is probably the reason then...

Your crew gets jealous of you if you have to much money :yes

So the ways to fix this is by swapping payment method or "hiding" most of your money ;)

...Or you use the "Raise Morale" button all the time, but that is rather wasteful.

That makes three of us sea going. Im an instructor in the UK Marine Cadets. The royal navy's Protection. Well done Pieter

That is probably the reason then...

Your crew gets jealous of you if you have to much money :yes

So the ways to fix this is by swapping payment method or "hiding" most of your money ;)

Wow never thought about that. I can't believe the code is written well enough to take jealousy in to account.

its not really jealousy, its just that the morale drops when you have a sertain amount of money, but you can undo that feature in the options menu or you can shange it in internal settings

Back