• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Fleet Formation

Queenie

Unknown
I always had problems with my other ships when at sea. My ships don't form a straight line like that of other fleets. And when there are enemies approaching, I can't make a good strategy 'cause the moment I'm nearing the enemy(ies), my other ships are all scattered. Thus, executing commands during the battle takes a lot of time. 'cause they still have to get close to the enemy. And is very frustrating especially if there is a ship I want to capture. Well, I have no choice but to run away 'cause there's too many of them(most of the time). And mostly being sunk 'cause other enemy ships are faster and worldmap is disabled when enemies are near.

Is there a way to make my other ships follow me making a good straight line?
Or make the worldmap available all the time?

I have experienced this one since the stock potc.

This is why Admirals have white hair. You can tell them what you want them to do, but that does not mean they are going to do it. :bonaparte

Try the Open Sea mod. Combat is much much better, but you spend more time just sailing your ship. :sail

The game's AI just isn't very good. And most of that code is hidden in the engine, so we can't touch it.
Not to mention that even if we could, we've got about one(!) programmer here and that is me. And I'm a seafarer, for crying out loud!!! :shock

What do you mean by "making the worldmap always available"? It IS, except when you're in battle.
But allowing you to escape to the worldmap with an enemy right on top of you would sort of defeat all gameplay purposes. o_O

If they are like me they often cruise around on the world map and go to investigate any promising battles. But once you are there you might find you really do not want to be there. The stock game dumps you right on top of each other and the fighting starts right away.
The Open Sea mod drops you 2,000 yards away and that gives you time to look the situation over and decide on the best course of action. It also gives you time to get your fleet untangled and pointed in the right direction. That's why I prefer it.

Indeed the Open Sea Mod IS pretty good. And it also nicely does away with that odd "add a day every hour" thing.
Shame it makes DirectSail take sooo long between islands, but hey.... that's real life for ya! :cheeky

Back