• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Flying Dutchman Project: Cursed & Uncursed

Should I start on that or what for Robert Nutter? I suppose I can start and just adjust my work accordingly.

Should I start on that or what for Robert Nutter? I suppose I can start and just adjust my work accordingly.
@Robert Nutter won't be doing the textures, I expect. Not if you're willing to do them anyway!
For now, he's still finalising his Steam Gunboat.

If the idea is to just add extra details to the Russian model, then I think you can work independently.
If you want the hull to be reshaped though, then it is better to wait because the mapping would end up looking different.

Up to you guys. :doff

That's why I was trying to figure out what was going on. I guess I can just start then. Except for the bow and stern, the hull shouldn't need to be changed all that much really.

But for now, I'll wait a bit and see. There are other ships I can texture. Plus I need to get back on my music pack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the head ornaments, what about a middle-ground between fully-sculpted and texture-only heads? They could be raised geometry around the gunports that has less detail than sculpted models, but supports textured detailing, and is therefore more flexible.

Regarding the head ornaments, what about a middle-ground between fully-sculpted and texture-only heads? They could be raised geometry around the gunports that has less detail than sculpted models, but supports textured detailing, and is therefore more flexible.

As far as the ornamentation on the ship goes, some simple simple bumps or raised geometry would work just fine. Even if it's decided to leave it flat, I can work with that. As seen from below, proper texturing can trick the eye to thinking it's 3D.

I believe the cursed stern will need some very simple models (nothing super detailed) of people getting eaten by sea monsters, but I can cheat a lot with the textures.

ebookreader_4142016_43518_PM.png

Last edited:
You know what? Maybe I will do the textures first, then we can see what I can and can't cheat on. Then we can figure what needs to be done model-wise from there?

So is there an uncursed version of this model? Or will the skeleton figurehead need to be taken off? And would we be able to take the seaweed off? This one completely cursed, except for the stern. For some odd reason it has the uncursed stern.

As far as I can tell, there is only one version of that model, which is the cursed model/uncursed Stern hybrid.

Maybe you can fake the uncursed one a bit more using alpha maps to hide certain stuff?
I think @Armada did something like that on the current version too.

I wonder if @DF5 might be convinced to help out with some of the 3D modeling or import/export work as well.
He made an improved model of Le Superbe a while back.

The biggest issue between the two is the figurehead. That definitely needs to go for the uncursed version, even if nothing else gets touched.

The biggest issue between the two is the figurehead. That definitely needs to go for the uncursed version, even if nothing else gets touched.
Is there any section on the texture map that is used for ONLY the figurehead? If so, alpha mapping would be a simple solution.

Otherwise it will have to wait until a modeler such as @Robert Nutter manages to do that tweaking.

Yeah the top left corner of the tga file is dedicated to the skeleton (see above). How do you do alpha maps again? :wp

Hey look! It works! Mostly . . .
There's still 6 ribs present as well as the 4 bits of spine on top. The scythe that the skeleton was holding is still present as well (on a different piece). I need to figure out where those bits are on the texture and see if I can alpha map them out too.

ebookreader_4172016_31735_PM.png

Also, it looks a bit odd if you look at it head on. I'm not sure what to do about that one.

ebookreader_4172016_31830_PM.png

Never noticed till recently, but the cursed version also has a skeletal figure at the stern.

26262.jpg

Decided to make the un-cursed version first, and then curse-ify her after. So here is me cheating with the textures to make the framework look three-dimensional. Still a long way to go.

k3dAiMt.png

Back