• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

-=! Fresh Mod Idea's !=- [place your thought's in here]

Jopieseethoek

Master Mariner
Storm Modder
hi all :cheers: ,

I had those few new idea's, here they are;

with the new items in POTC there is also a cursed coin that you can buy or steel in those boxes. Well my idea was.. to make it look just a little more at the POTC movie that when you have that coin in your pocket, you'll change into a skeleton at night... I'm 10000% sure that this is possible cuz of the `time-zone`'s in this game.. just enable your character into a skeleton when it become's night.. I knew someone in a forum that already made that you changed into a skeleton at night.(I'm sure you'll like this one CaptJackSparrow :cheeky )

the decks!.. yes here is the suggestion AGAIN :cheers but this is what most of us really want's!.. at sea that you also can walk into your decks. I don't have to go further as we all know what we wanted

If other people also have some new and fresh idea's for the new build.. you can place them here :D

bye ;):

-jopie- 8)

I think you're idea about becoming a skeleton at night if ye got the cursed coin "Yer gonna die yer a human!" is a great idea, but the modders tend to want to turn the game into a more realistic Sea Dogs II game :shock:

more decks he but in the mode thet you can se your self ?

but the skeltons the dint theke them vrom a otter human but when the where human the found the treasur of cortes ore some thing like thet?
and then the begame skeletons.......

emm, i no this wood b a big job but for me the main thaing that has always annoyd me abt bording ships is how its the same 2ships and 1 is always smaller than the other. Cood u make, like a few different senarios of ships, like maybe a huge ship and a smaller 1, or 2 the same size and etc... if ya get am drift and hav the game choose which 1 is used?

Wood this b possible or jsut another of my sad little fantasies.....

Perhaps we can get a scabbard for a delicate, say a rapier. Surely a ugly piece of iron such as a cutlass is incompetent for this honour. It's really shameful that my captain walking around in nicely engraved Spanish amour with Find Cardinal's Guard with no scabbard! It's a torment to hear you sheath your sword out of air! Also could we possibly get pistol ammo and a nice pistol package?

The fencing mechanics in this game is very good, and it's even better in the Build where it's faster and realistic, but it would be perfect to add a litte corresponding fencing animations. I'm not speaking of those fancy moves in those "muskteer" movies, just a little more realistic, like different ways of blocking with several ways of piercing. Also for rapiers and longswords(though I never use them unless you're wearing full plate amour but it's not included 'cause the sword swings too slow and if you wear the full plate you'll sink like stone if you slipped into water when boarding), the main animations should be pericing and for sabre thrusting and slashing are equal, as for the ugly piece of iron (the cutlass), the animation should be slashing only.

Speaking of amour, I notice that there are amour in the newest Build. Except that it's not easy to view if the clothes are amoured (indeed some clothes which aren't marked as amour do have some amour effects), it will also be nice to see different weapons have different effects on amour. And rapier is always most effective.

Also can we have various fencing modes? I know it might not be quite useful in boarding battles but in ordinary duels it's quite cool to have one hand with a dagger or bukler and the other hand with the main weapon, or even two main weapons. Then there comes the choice of single move or doulbe move in fencing. I remember single move is quite popular in most European countries in the 17 centruy, or is it double move? Arrr, it's getting too complex. But anyway I would really like to see realistic fencing, or at least some animations.

clueless,

It might be a fantasy as there are currently 48 different models available for POTC and if my maths is correct that would be 2304 different combinations of different ships that could possible appear whilst boarding. :shock:

A new ships would take at least 1 month of modding so one person doing all of these different cominantions would take about 192 years. So it is impossible to do something that complex.
Your suggestion of doing some generic decks might work but it all depends on wether the game engine can cope with it.

TheLastCandy,

So far no one has managed to sort out new animations for the game so changing the fencing to what you want is currently impossible and even if it was possible the game engine might not be able to cope with it.

The problem with scabbards is that they would have to be added onto each and every skin/uniform and I suspect would have to be changed for each different type of sword and then you run into the problem of what happens if you want different scabbards for each weapon. That means that each skin would need to be modifed 27 times to take into account the number of different weapons currently available.
Currently there are 169 models in the game, we can discount well over 100 of them as unsuitable for our "hero", so say that there are 50 different skins that you wanted scabbards added to.
That would mean about 1350 different models just to cope with the different weapons.
It may be possible to do a skin with a generic scabbard, but there will be times when the sword would appear outside of the scabbard when you are running or sitting and would ruin the effect. One of the more graphically minded people will be able to tell you if that is workable.

With armor on clothes you would be running into the same modelling problem as each skin would have to have variants on them to take into effect the different armour and no armour.
That all takes time for, to be honest, little or no game improvement IMO especially when the modders could spend the time making brand new ships, skins and new islands.

Jopieseethoek,

The idea for cursed coins turing you into a skeleton at night is a very good idea and I think can be put into the game. It's something that I might not use myself as I prefer a more realistic game.

Even though I might not like some of these suggestions or say that they could be unworkable please don't stop making them as every single one could give a modder some inspiration to make something similar work in the game.
Sometimes even the most outlandish idea could bring something special to the game that we can all enjoy.

Who knows, some of these that we currently believe to be unworkable could eventually be made to work in the game.

Thanks for the quick reply and the enlightenment. However there are still several questions remained:
What about the different effects of different kinds of weapon? Is it possible that the rapier get an attack bonus against amour when thrusting and the cutlass get some penalty against amour? It's a horrible experience being chopped up in amour by a "cutlass mob".

Could we have different attacking modes? If we could, is it possible that the attacking modes are according to the animation? i.e. you perform a thrusting attack when the animation is a thrust.

These are just nice little details which add realism I think. I'm looking forward to new quests and islands the most. Sailing around and killing are already satifactory.

Like I said I doubt that the game engine can cope with fencing like that.
The fencing moves all seem to be called up at random by the game engine and/or the DLLs and so far I believe that no one has managed to change anything in the game engine or DLLs.

Swords used to be almost blunt and you used to beat your opponent to death with it, so the game as it it as the moment is kind of realistic. As you are beaten to deat by cutlass wielding mobs.
Rapiers do get a piercing bonus which might help against armour, but it could be possible to add some kind of bonus or penalty to all blades against armour but it might have to apply to all attacks made even against people who are not wearing armour and not just thrusting attacks as I'm not sure if the game can differentiate between the style of attacks.

Scheffnow, Great Zen and/or Nathan Kell would know a lot more about if it is possible to add this to the game.

.(I'm sure you'll like this one CaptJackSparrow  

AYE! i love ur idea jopie! it is a good idea! and as i recall, there is a skeleton on the game that wears a red bandana just like keith richards! errrr, JACK SPARROW! haha...that would be what would replace jack sparrow! hell yeah!

the decks!.. yes here is the suggestion AGAIN  but this is what most of us really want's!.. at sea that you also can walk into your decks. I don't have to go further as we all know what we wanted  

you know, i was the first person to bring this up in the modding section a LONG TIME AGO lol...it seems that i feel more confident knowing that A LOT of people like this idea too, but the modders say its impossible. but as good ol Captain Jack says, "its imPROBABLE, not impossible!" :blah:

I have a suggestion. I think it would be more realistic if when you hava a letter of marque, that you should be REWARDED for executing pirates. Really back then that IS what you would do instead of letting them go.....

Good ideas mates!
Me, i think the small ships should be more fast than the big ones.
I read that pirates choose small ships for speed.

muddymonkey77,

That's a good idea. I've had a quick look at the passengers.c interface file and I can see where it gives you a rep hit when you execute a passenger.
All that we need now is to find out how to make it check for a LOM and if the captive is a pirate and work out a small reward and possibly give a hit to the relations with the pirates as you've just hanged one of their brethren from the yardarm.

3 great ideas for future mods

Being able to have your own house on land would be cool. Perhaps after you take over a fort the island belongs to you and you can have the governers house for your own, and have access to the extra rooms, sort of like the enter cabin mod currently in use.

Thats one thing I really liked about Morrowind, was being able to use add on homes built by moders. I loved being able to display my loot in a trophy room.

Also the ability to set up your own defenses for an island you captured would be cool. Managing things like having to hire crew to man the fort, or to replace those fallen in battle, buying extra ships to defend the harbor and having an increased chance that other factions would constantly try to take the island from you so defending it would be a constant challenge.

I havn't tried the lay up ship option yet but it would be cool to be able to store your captured ships in the harbor of your own island and have the ability to see them from the dock and have the ability to board the one of your choice at will.

the ability to take over and defend your own islands would add a whole new demention to the game, it could turn into a conquest type game where the object is to take over the whole map and own all the islands, while other factions are trying to do the same.

what I really would like and I assure more of you also :p: , is to unlock all the house's... still many houses are locked.. dunno why :? but it is really anoying.. like on douwesen, there are many houses but none of them is unlocked :p3 so when having trouble with the autoritish, you can't fix your relation with them :(

so please unlock all the house's on every island including the pirate fort on douwesen (since it is already that small.. let have something to do there) and also don't forget the smugglers fort on conceisao ;)

NK, I think that you be the man for this job ;) xD:

bye... jopie :p3

Since the player can now pick locks, could it be possible that the player have a sneak or thievery skill? the more frequently one uses it, the more skilled on becomes on it, which is simliar to the skill system in Morrowind.
It's kind of silly that you can running around with one million coins plus twelve swords on you. Can the objects have weight? If they can, will the player have fatigue limits? One's fatigue decrease dramatically when running around with heavy weight or fight for quite a while. The player will then be less dexterous in that case.

Back