• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Future Mods

Indeed the stock game manowars are pretty darn ugly in every respect as far as I'm concerned.
Can't we just remove them? :whipa
Yeah, I like that..hehehe but again, what if others do want them still. What are the new manowar ships so far btw?

Our best bet would probably be to port PotC content to Storm 2.8, bit by bit. Doing it the other way round has proven useless so far. :facepalm
so porting to CoAS you mean? I watched a few pictures and youtube-let's play videos.. I think the graphics from PotC are prettier and most of the interfaces are.. well.. not as good as the work done here^^
How far is that process? Can I help with it? Imagining what can be done with the/a source code.. :woot

so porting to CoAS you mean? I watched a few pictures and youtube-let's play videos.. I think the graphics from PotC are prettier and most of the interfaces are.. well.. not as good as the work done here^^
I'm inclined to agree. I really like the look of PotC. Nothing wrong with it. :cheeky

How far is that process? Can I help with it? Imagining what can be done with the/a source code.. :woot
Basically not even started. We did a few failed experiments and that's about it.

But.. it is possible? Hm I think I have to ask some computer science students at my university :D

Both games are Storm-based and are VERY similar. It's just a lot of work and requires a LOT of figuring out.
Not impossible though. :no

well my university has a game-developer team, I think I will just ask them when I'm back there ;) maybe they could even help us (even with Hearts of Oaks) :yes

We can always use more people. Especially ones who know what they're doing and want to join in on our fun! :woot

There are, of course, pros and cons for both games.
Personally I prefer the art style of PotC (mostly including the ships and characters), plus the dialogue system with the animated faces, and the original storyline.
BUT I prefer the fencing system of CoAS (many more options than "attack" and "block"), the lights on the ships, and the ocean shader.
That last one is mostly because CoAS actually has support for Intel graphics, so that game's sea looks considerably better on my laptop than the PotC Intel fix sea. :wp

So if we could combine PotC's models, textures and quests with the fencing system, ocean shader and ship lights of CoAS, I'd consider that the ultimate Storm Engine-based pirate/seafaring game.

How far is that process? Can I help with it? Imagining what can be done with the/a source code..
As Pieter said, we haven't got anywhere at all. Too busy finishing Build 14 and starting Hearts of Oak.
If we were to start this for real, I'd imagine trying to basically add the stock PotC to CoAS as another playable storyline. That could be a separate mod for CoAS.
Then, we could remove the unwanted CoAS content until we're left with just the PotC storyline, and begin reworking the interfaces to match stock PotC.
Once that's done, and we effectively have PotC on Storm 2.8, we could release that as a mod for both stock PotC and CoAS, before embarking on the enormous quest to add all the Build 14 content...

All of that should be possible, I believe, but it would take a massive amount of time and effort to achieve.
Perhaps once Build 14 Beta 3 is finished (well, finished enough), we could look into this, but we mustn't neglect Hearts of Oak.

As I see it, it CAN be done. But with the amount of people we've got to do it, I don't think it is feasible.
And it would detract both from finishing Build 14 proper and from Hearts of Oak development.

Plus if we ARE going to port, we may want to see what PO:TEHO is like and consider porting to that instead if at all possible.
So I'm inclined to put the idea on the back-burner for now.

Good point about PO:TEHO. I recall that features a few enhancements over the Storm 2.8 engine, including different flags, which should be worth waiting for.
Let's just hope the English version materialises at some point.

PO:TEHO?
Anyway, the graphics and the other stuff we like about potc nh is not stricted to Storm 2.0 I guess?
A crazy idea: We have contact to Akella, right? Why we don't ask them for help how to port it right?

Anyway, the graphics and the other stuff we like about potc nh is not stricted to Storm 2.0 I guess?
We'll have to see. Not sure if PotC characters would work in the newer games, but it might be possible. Not something worth worrying about just yet though. :shrug

A crazy idea: We have contact to Akella, right? Why we don't ask them for help how to port it right?
They won't help. They can't because they don't have the Storm 2.0 engine code either. And they won't because apparently they don't even care about supporting their own releases.

Back