• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Galapagos: HOPE FOR THE FUTURE

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
Life and WORLD CHANGING movie!

If you want to help make this world a better place,
Watch it, Think about it, Talk about it, Like it, Share it!

This film made me realise that I myself am a Blue Footed Booby. In a way, that is.
In another way, I am a 21st Century Charles Darwin and have been from the coast of Peru to Subic Bay in The Philippines myself,
met all sorts of people from all ranges of life and have made quite the voyage of personal discovery along the way.
And I feel like that journey has only just begun.

I could easily write a book with a valuable message by combining the content of this film with my own experiences.
But that requires support to make this happen.

I want to get in touch with the film makers.
Together, I BELIEVE WE CAN get through to the rest of the world! :cheers

Last edited:
Ah to be young and idealistic again.........Now I'm old and pessimistic.

Go for it! You literally have nothing to lose as this planet is on the cusp of dramatic change and things are going to get worse. This is our choice. original.jpg

I don't watch films anymore, but as a long time supporter of Greenpeace I'm sure I would like it.

After spending time listening to the scientists, unlike most Americans, it is no longer a matter of stopping it but how bad is it going to be. The weather has been changing for years already. I remember playing in the snow in the yard in the 1950s and it has been many years since it even gets down to freezing there now. I never experienced a thunderstorm when I was young and now they are common. When tornadoes first started being reported around here the "experts" pooh poohed them. Now they are factually reported on the evening news.

I have been studying the forecast maps and my wife and I are talking about moving to a safer location. Someplace where the weather related changes should not be too extreme.

After spending time listening to the scientists, unlike most Americans, it is no longer a matter of stopping it but how bad is it going to be. The weather has been changing for years already. I remember playing in the snow in the yard in the 1950s and it has been many years since it even gets down to freezing there now. I never experienced a thunderstorm when I was young and now they are common. When tornadoes first started being reported around here the "experts" pooh poohed them. Now they are factually reported on the evening news.
Yep, the weather is changing here in Greece during the autumn it's warm and not much rain has fallen considering the time of the year, or at least where I live this is true. Though supposedly more rain will come but it still took its time.
(Not rained much for Greek standards.
If you use other standards it always doesn't rain that much.:cheeky)

And my father says that the climate used to be colder.

I have been studying the forecast maps and my wife and I are talking about moving to a safer location. Someplace where the weather related changes should not be too extreme.
If you can do it, better be safe than sorry.

Yes I remember the snow in the 1950 to, now it is almost gone.I am living close to one of the best butterflies
habitat in Europa, it still is, but from I was a child to now 50 species have disappeared.It always rains and
I have hat a flood in the basement of my house, the floors was destroyed. I could go on about this for a long time.

I am studying the quality of those forecasts.

Yep, the weather is changing here in Greece during the autumn it's warm and not much rain has fallen considering the time of the year, or at least where I live this is true. Though supposedly more rain will come but it still took its time.
(Not rained much for Greek standards.
If you use other standards it always doesn't rain that much.:cheeky)
Difference between "weather" and "climate" is difficult to define.

Yes I remember the snow in the 1950 to, now it is almost gone.I am living close to one of the best butterflies
habitat in Europa, it still is, but from I was a child to now 50 species have disappeared.It always rains and
I have hat a flood in the basement of my house, the floors was destroyed. I could go on about this for a long time.
Sailing to the North Pole sounds cool:
Arctic Ocean COULD be ice-free for part of the year as soon as 2044

I live at about the same latitude as Athens, Greece. It has yet to rain here and California has been burning for months. The desert is moving North.

The Coast Guard added 8 new stations along Alaska's North Slope because there is no longer any ice there. The water pouring off Greenland's melting glaciers is slowing down the Gulf Stream. If the warm water from the Gulf Stream is stopped, then Europe freezes. This is climate change.

Last edited:
As is geography and climate change, and it is changing. Here the Mojave Desert is moving north. There the Mediterranean Sea is helping hold back the North African deserts. Scientists have been watching plant and animal populations moving North for a decade. Polar bears are being attacked by Grizzly bears now and might go extinct. I am speaking in terms of decades, not years.

Coast Guard Stations? The usual rescue, patrol, and enforcement stations. They started building them a decade ago.

The Coast Guard added 8 new stations along Alaska's North Slope because there is no longer any ice there. The water pouring off Greenland's melting glaciers is slowing down the Gulf Stream. If the warm water from the Gulf Stream is stopped, then Europe freezes. This is climate change.
Coast Guard Stations? The usual rescue, patrol, and enforcement stations. They started building them a decade ago.
Scientists have been watching plant and animal populations moving North for a decade. Polar bears are being attacked by Grizzly bears now and might go extinct. I am speaking in terms of decades, not years.
That's just sad really...

There the Mediterranean Sea is helping hold back the North African deserts.
Yep, at least there is that, though temperatures have risen.

My father said that where he lived a 35 degrees (celsius) was considered extremely hot, now it's the norm. (During summer)

Last edited:
This is going to sound a bit strange at first, so please bear with me. My two cents is that change is change. Change/transformation is an inherent and key part of life. Nature has always been going through changes, as well as having a steady spirit/balance through and through.

The dangers that we are facing are dangers we are creating for ourselves -- and our fellow living inhabitants. Being out of tune with the balance, with our morally irresponsible actions we are speeding up the changes and making our environment gradually uninhabitable for us. It won't affect nature's spirit at large -- life goes on, with or without us -- only our own quality of life and survival.

So, from my perspective, it is not climate change (an often politicised and politically abused concern) we need to worry about so much, but the larger picture: about how far we have culturally fallen from the natural balance, from being in tune with nature, from sharing in her spirit and working with her. As living creatures, we are practically strangers to the spirit that bore us. We have no respect for nature's way, for life.

And then we seek solace and escape in the thought that we can exist without nature -- out in space, or on another planet. An absurd notion that shows just how far we have fallen from our own humanity, from the living balance.

To be without nature surrounding us, to be detached, means to be without life, to wither and die, spiritually and physically. We are a part of nature, inseparably connected.

Last edited:
Inspired by Spoiler - Holland America Line, I figured I'd check the position of the Sinking of the RMS Titanic - Wikipedia:

Titanic_voyage_map.png

And compare that against the Office of Coast Survey North Atlantic Ocean Pilot Charts - Pub. #106:
TitanicIceberg.png
That yellow arrow confirms that the 15 April 1912 iceberg is STILL considered pretty much the most Southern one ever.

Likewise, we on the M/S Maasdam did NOT expect this icefield so far South either:

We experienced the "Maximum Ice Limit" from that same Pilot Chart, just off the coast of Cape Farewell.
Exactly a year earlier, we had been in that exact same position, but nothing there.

Makes you think, doesn't it? :shock

It really does say something.

We should take better care of this planet, or else, at least with today's technology, we can't find another Earth.

Back