• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Game annoyances

Harmsway

Sailor Apprentice
If there is a fix or mod for any of these annoyances please let me know. I'm playing COAS with GOF + Eras. If its just me, tell me. If these are fixed in POTC tell me. Here they are.

1) I don't always hear enemy cannon fire or the ball splashes near my ship.
2) Sails don't change with the wind.
3) Wind speeds are very low.

I believe these are game issues not MOD issues, but I could be wrong.

Harmsway

What do you mean by "sails don't change with the wind? I'm thinking this could be something unfixable from the original game.

Wind speed is controlled in a weather file. That's not a mod problem, but it could be a mod feature. Using the fast forward keys can help you make it through that. Or you could also replace the weather folder (I forget where it is in the game directory, unfortunately) with the vanilla CoAS weather folder. I seem to remember that the unmodded game had more wind than the mods, but I could be wrong.

The sound issue is old. I am trying to fix it for patch 1 with a new fmodex file I got from the Russians plus a complete conversion of all sounds over to MP3 format.

Orientation of sails in the wind has always been a problem with all COAS and AOP variants. There is no fix I know of. You just have to live with it unfortunately. That's something I'm looking forward to in the current Indie DEV.

If during gameplay you hit ESC, OPTIONS, find Mod Options in the lower right corner. Change weather to COAS default. I think you will be happier with the wind speeds. I am going to overhaul them for Patch1. THey are Lukes old numbers and a little low.

I'm becoming sorry I released the mod. It doesn't appear it was ready yet. I think I will pull the link.

MK

It doesn't matter if the wind is coming form port or starboard. The sail are always blown starboard. Another way to look at it is if you do a 180 with the ship the sail don't change direction. Kind of takes away from tactical play. But mostly not hearing the enemy cannon fire baffles me.

The sound issue is old. I am trying to fix it for patch 1 with a new fmodex file I got from the Russians plus a complete conversion of all sounds over to MP3 format.

Orientation of sails in the wind has always been a problem with all COAS and AOP variants. There is no fix I know of. You just have to live with it unfortunately. That's something I'm looking forward to in the current Indie DEV.

If during gameplay you hit ESC, OPTIONS, find Mod Options in the lower right corner. Change weather to COAS default. I think you will be happier with the wind speeds. I am going to overhaul them for Patch1. THey are Lukes old numbers and a little low.

I'm becoming sorry I released the mod. It doesn't appear it was ready yet. I think I will pull the link.

MK

I'm not sorry you release the mod. It's fabulous. Like you said these issues are game issues not yours. Plus you have a fix for the wind. I'm happy.

Harmsway

Are you never hearing cannon fire or only sometimes not hearing it? On my game it works most of the time. Only when you are facing several ships simultaneously do the cannons sometimes go quiet. There may be a settings problem here.

If he was referring to the incorrect angles of the movable fore-and-aft sails, there is a fix. I think Hylie is the only one who knows how do it it right now. Most of the ships that were fixed had gaff-rigged trapezoidal sails. We can also get the sheets lateen sails and free-footed gaff sails to behave properly by using an invisible, nonmodeled boom or something like that, but that might take experimentation. I think that it has been done before, but I'm not sure.

There's also an extra locator in CoAS for stays'ls, which usually don't move in the stock ships. It allows the sails' clews to move in response to wind direction, simulating proper sheeting. The jibs and fore stays'ls on the old Enterprise brig model (?) were set up to move, and in the proper direction to boot, but I think that that model was done away with. Low quality, etc.. The locator doesn't exist for PotC, so it hasn't been implemented on any other vessels. Might be worth looking into in the future if someone is willing to do it. It improved the appearance of the otherwise unimpressive model dramatically.

It doesn't matter if the wind is coming form port or starboard. The sail are always blown starboard. Another way to look at it is if you do a 180 with the ship the sail don't change direction. Kind of takes away from tactical play. But mostly not hearing the enemy cannon fire baffles me.

What ship are you talking about? There is a good chance it has been fixed in GOF or POTC but not ERAS.

I have never seen the barco costero1 before. The lateen is offset to one side, which means that it will never be fully correct, and I normally never touch anything like that for that reason.

Also, MK chose to not use any POTC ships and has instead reskinned old old ships. This means that 95% of the ships in ERAS have fantasy rigging. I am daunted by the amount of work needed. :8q

I have never seen the barco costero1 before. The lateen is offset to one side, which means that it will never be fully correct, and I normally never touch anything like that for that reason.

Also, MK chose to not use any POTC ships and has instead reskinned old old ships. This means that 95% of the ships in ERAS have fantasy rigging. I am daunted by the amount of work needed. :8q

After further study I must confess I'm partially wrong about this. The main sail does change upon tack but the jib does not. Although you are right about the fantasy rigging. I never tried GOF by itself. Are you saying that most of the ships have the sails corrected for the wind when tacking?

The jib on that ship is set waaay off to one side. That can be easily fixed except that sometimes strange things happen and fine tuning in game is needed. I had a lot of fun trying to get the jibs on the Victory to behave in GOF2, but eventually got it.

The main sails on all of the stock ships move properly but all of the spankers, gaffs, and lateens move opposite from what they should. I am trying to just live with them like that.

Back