• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Game CTD in world map

salonikasurf

Freebooter
Storm Modder
Game Version - Build 3.5 30 July + 2 Aug Zip. Testing Standard storyline.

I am getting a common CTD whenever I am on the world map and encountering ships.

Save Game attached and system and compile logs - no error log.

Your help is always appreciated.

EDIT: This works OK with the English flag - but seems to have problems with your personal flag.

Attachments

• Pirates of the Caribbean.7z
    2.3 KB · Views: 61
  • -=Player=- Open Sea May 23rd, 1750.7z
    495.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I did change some code that returns your flag relations on the world map so it sounds like that is the problem.
Does that happen once every few days or so? It probably coincides with the generation of a Follow Ship which is somewhat inconsistent but does keep happening.
Thanks for reporting! I'll check it in a few days. :yes

Pieter,
It seems to be related to the discovery of your personal flag - using nation flags has not given me a problem.
Also, at the start of the Standard storyline, I could not leave Barbados in worldmap. I believe it also applies to Island recognition of flags as well as once there were no other ships on the worldmap and the game crashed as I neared La Grenada or Bonaire.

Enjoy your holiday - it can wait till you get back.

Linked to being recognised? That makes somewhat less sense to me.
Did you get any relevant log files by any chance? Or a save that is affected by this?
Also, were there ANY nations hostile to you at the time?

@Hylie Pistof : For the same of further details on this one, did you use the worldmap when you were sailing around with your personal flag?
Did you get any crashes?

I presume you are talking about the first game I played. I started out with the French flag and later when nation relations changed I started flying a personal flag. The only place I get CTDs is at Tortuga. And yes I use the world map.

Thanks, Hylie. Just to be sure, were those worldmap CTDs or in 3D sailing mode?

I get pretty regular CTDs while in Tortuga town, usually when leaving the store.

Then there are rare random CTDs, like today I had one when leaving the Port Royal church.

I have a confession to make. I DLed the latest EXE and ZIP, installed it and started playing. In a very rare stroke of luck I got an excellent ship very early in the game. So when Pieter updated that ZIP again I did not get it as I did not want to lose this ship.
POTC new 2015-08-02 22-33-23-36.jpg

Well, today I installed that updated ZIP and now I can not go anywhere at all on the world map. CTD 4 times in a row. Logs here, and I only fly my personal flag as I believe changing flags will have friendly forts firing on me.

Attachments

• compile.log
    5.7 KB · Views: 71
  • system.log
    927 bytes · Views: 75
Hylie,
If you do change to a nation flag - you can get across to other islands on the world map - most of the time, but not always - but as you say - unwanted attention gets you shot at.
You can successfully use direct sail and not have any CTD's with your personal flag.

Trudat! However direct sailing everywhere really slows down the game. It can take real time hours to get where I want to go.

Ayup, it took 2 full hours to sail from Puerto Rico to Barbados in a ship that can do 14.9 knots.

Thanks for confirming the problem, Hylie! Sounds like I've got some further checking to do.

Fixed! PROGRAM\Nations\nations.c:
Code:
int GetNationRelation2MainCharacter(int iNation)
{
   if (!IsEntity(&worldMap) || GetCurrentFlag() == PERSONAL_NATION) // PB: GetFlagRMRelation for PERSONAL_NATION ends up calling this function again, creating an endless loop!
   {
     return GetRMRelationType(GetRMRelation(GetMainCharacter(), iNation));
   }
   else
   {
     return GetFlagRMRelation(iNation); // PB: Worldmap calls this function from engine!
   }
}
That works fine. The previous code made for an endless loop, which the game isn't too big a fan of. ;)

I have a confession to make. I DLed the latest EXE and ZIP, installed it and started playing. In a very rare stroke of luck I got an excellent ship very early in the game. So when Pieter updated that ZIP again I did not get it as I did not want to lose this ship.
Agh! That might be one helluva good reason for all the added weirdness you've been experiencing this past week.
Those unintentionally hostile forts might still have happened in last week's release, but should not occur anymore with the one I posted this Sunday.
But since you didn't actually have that latest version installed..... :facepalm

Anyway, there are still a fair few notable issues with the current release too.
I think I've got most of them finally under control now, so the upcoming version should actually become close to genuinely playable again at last!
As far as the nation and on-sea relations are concerned, that is.

After this next stage of testing, I'm hoping I'll be able to start focusing on balancing and tweaking the system,
instead of crawling through the code, fixing stuff that is actually badly broken. :modding

The following will NOT yet be in the upcoming version:
- Dynamic false flag detection chance; for now, I'm keeping that at 100% chance, but ONLY for ships within visible range
- Correct consequences for firing on friendly ships and/or sinking and capturing ships while under a false flag

Other than that, I have high hopes that the remainder of the functionality will behave itself much more sensibly than it has done in a long time before.... :wp

Back