• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Gentelmen of Fortune! v1.2 Full Release Patch 1.0 FAQ/Bugs/Installing

Please use this thread only for bug and or installation issues. Don't know never played PotC but the aop2 coas gof is meant for a very long game run, have a look in the gameplay threads guess you'll find some help advice there.

Thanks for sharing the folder, Joe. It still does that weird rain stop thing. I´ll try installing those TAGES drivers, but don't know if it's that. The rest of the game is running nice i think. Now somebody can explain me how to get poits to my character, I'am at level 3 and don't have any personal or ship skill ot any other. Isn't it like PotC? One skill point and two abilities per level up?

Been so long since i played POTC but i think POTC is a max of 10 skill points per skill where as COAS is 100 skill points per skill, so its more like 2 abilities per every 4 to 5 level ups?

The best way to build skills are to use them, sailing is good but set your sails to half sail when in a storm and sail into the waves, set the game speed to x6 and keep a close eye on your ships hull and sail damage. When you are forced to head back into the world map goget the ship fixed and you will notice your sailing skill will be much higher. If using this way out though its a good idea to get beten hatches to reduce the damage storms do to your ship. Use officers as and when needed, a good navigator can be hard to find but valuable, do some merchant work for the store owner which will improve your treasury and navigation skills. Hiring a good treasurer will allow you to make more from the merchant runs or more importantly allow you to buy things low and sell them high at other stores, having a good navigator will allow you to sail a higher class of ship which in turn will have a bigger cargohold and hold more crew and have more guns mounted.

Playing as a merchant captain though is all about cargo space, so mounting the lightest of cannons and having the least amount of gun powder, ammo etc will be all about saving space for that precious cargo you found at a low price and can sell at a nice tidy profit. Or you could start selling ship loads of cargo to the smugglers which is the quicker way to make money but also a quick way to make enemies with nations. My tip is to focus on improving your navigation skill as this is the skill that decides what class of ship you can sail (press F2, go to ship menu and press and hold right mouse button on navigation skill to see each required skill level for each class of ship).

So I'm having a pretty crazy bug. Everything was playing fine last night, but today the game has gone fully haywire. I'll press any key and it does something completely different than what it's supposed to do. I checked the controls to see if for some crazy reason they had changed, and they hadn't. I tried other save games and had the same problems, land or sea. Haven't gotten out to the map yet. I'm right at the point as Peter Blood where I'm getting away from the Spanish luggers. Trouble is, I can't get away if I don't know which keys to press!

It was a clean install of CoAS, and then the GoF! v1.1.2 mod. The only change I made was putting in MK's music, which is working fine. As I said, everything was working fine last night, but not today.

In any case, when I finally did get out to sea, the game was lagging, and this is at 800x600 resolution. I think I remember this laptop playing CoAS fine before, but I'm not sure. That was quite a while back. But if I can't play it at sea without lag, I may just have to wait until I get my gaming computer.

I'm going to start simple and just restart the computer.

EDIT: Actually, I just remembered I did one other thing that may be causing this.I cracked the game after installing. TAGES may be causing it to go haywire. I'm doing a virus scan now, but it's almost done and nothing has come up. I also ran a cleaner, which found few problem. So I'm sure it's not the system. After the scan is done I'll switch the original dvm.dll file back in.

I prefer to crack games when I can so I don't wear down the DVDs as much over time, plus it's a hassle to switch for every game (thank God for Steam). But some games are just uncrackable, and this certainly wouldn't be the first one.

EDIT2: I put the original file back, but it had no effect. I know uninstalling and reinstalling should make the game work again. I'm pretty sure only copy protection would screw up a game in this way and this badly. I just won't replace the file again. It is just a pain to use the disk.

Have you tried reseting the controls to default?

This is the only thing i can think of that doesn't involve reinstalling COAS and GOF, but i would suggest trying a new game to see if the controls are still messed up before reinstalling everything. :yes

Have you tried reseting the controls to default?

This is the only thing i can think of that doesn't involve reinstalling COAS and GOF, but i would suggest trying a new game to see if the controls are still messed up before reinstalling everything. :yes

I suppose I should have tried that first. I had thought of doing it, but I didn't since the controls were showing themselves as unchanged. Too late now, though. I've already uninstalled and reinstalled the game. Re-extracting the mod right now, so it'll be up and running within the hour.

The game will still probably lag though. :(

EDIT: Got it up and running again. Works just fine. Still lags in some places, like storms and sea battles. KHAN! It's probably the way I have things set up right now, though. Closed laptop connected to a hi-def screen. Probably too much heat.

EDIT2: Yeah, changed my setup, and the game lags less. Still lags, though. Still hard to play because of this right now. I may have to give this game a rest for a little while.

Well, the bug came up again. Set the controls to default, and that did it. I'm putting the crack back in.

I was wodering if there is any way to incress the maximum amount of offiers.
The amount of max officers you can have is linked to your authority value if I remember correctly so if you've got 10 points there you should be able to have more officers than a character that has only 5 points for instance.

Guess there is a mod approach to increase the officer value but unsure about that.

I was wodering if there is any way to incress the maximum amount of offiers.
The amount of max officers you can have is linked to your authority value if I remember correctly so if you've got 10 points there you should be able to have more officers than a character that has only 5 points for instance.

Guess there is a mod approach to increase the officer value but unsure about that.

I figure it out me self :onya
(the moding way)

Hello guys. Not sure what i am doing wrong but this is what happens.

I re-installed COAS and installed the Full GOF mod and put in my fresh install of COAS. I then downloaded the new patch just released and put that in my COAS folder. Now when i click on the start.exe i get the Runtime error at the start of the loading screens.
I have also re-installed several times, and found out the following. When i just use the full GOF mod it seems to work fine. Its when i overwrite the files to put the new patch on that it starts with the runtime error. Any thoughts?

Sorry all, there was a mistake in the patching process, please see the first post for revised links and instructions.

I had already installed GoF! 1.1.2 separately before this option to download it as a full mod and it worked fine. Today I downloaded the patch and extracted it to the game's directory, but nothing happened... even at the main menu was written I have 1.1.2

Well, I reinstalled GoF! 1.1.2 Full Patch and then the 1.2 patch and downloaded and installed the patch again but things got worse - my game has run time error too!

Looks like that makes 2 of us then. I just installed following instructions and fresh install of COAS and all the links and no sucess. Still Runtime error at the loading screen of the engine.

It seems to be something with the 1.2 CW V.2 patch. everytime it is applied this happens but when only the full mod and full patch it works like a charm.

Hey guys, sorry to hear about your problems, I'm going to take down the links while we get this sorted out.

Back