• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Gentelmen of Fortune! v1.2 Full Release Patch 1.0 FAQ/Bugs/Installing

It's also possible you have and are facing one of the "bulletprove" vessels though the changes are not that high you have one and are facing one at the same time, still it's possible. Please note that ships listed where tested at GoF v1.1.

The ones listed below have "net beeb, ship hull seems invulnerable only at certain angels the hull+sails takes a little damage, almost no crew losses."
###
SHIP_GALEON_L
SHIP_BATTLEFRIGATE
SHIP_COLONIALFRIGATE
SHIP_BOUSSOLE
SHIP_FRIGATE
SHIP_INDIAMAN
SHIP_BATTLESHIP
SHIP_BATTLESHIP1

The ones below beep but no other issue is confirmed yet, thoiugh I guess they have the same issues as the ones above.
###
SHIP_XEBEC_FRANCE
SHIP_CARAVEL

I'm at the start of the game with any of the characters, so I don't have any navigators, skills etc.. it doesn't change no harm is done to ships in naval battles if they don't hit each other accidentally with the ship's bodies, I have played age of pirates 2 when it was first made, and there weren't any problems like that

I'm at the start of the game with any of the characters, so I don't have any navigators, skills etc.. it doesn't change no harm is done to ships in naval battles if they don't hit each other accidentally with the ship's bodies, I have played age of pirates 2 when it was first made, and there weren't any problems like that

Interesting, i have no such problems. I can damage ships without hitting into them or them been hit or hitting into things. The AI also damage my ship and other AI controled ships. Apart from some ships been almost impossible to damage this is the first i have heard where in any game no ship damage can be done, but i can understand why you are having some problems.

1. New game low skills means you will be lucky to hit anything.
2. Again new game small ship most likely with 4 to 8 guns mounted and low skills means its even harder to hit anything.
3. No officers and the above means increased difficulty in hitting anything.

So all in all you are lucky to hit a ship thats sitting right next to you, i suggest you play the game a while and hire a officer who's got good gunnery skills and give him the role of gunner. A Navigator and a Treasurer, focus on doing merchant runs for a while at least till you can see goods you can buy cheap and sell for profit else where. Only attack ships you know you will be able to beat and if the ship has a bigger cargohold than your current ship keep her and sink your old one because it will help in carrying more good which in turn means more money. Don't go trying to fight every ship you see because you need to train your crew as they will greatly increase the ships abilities. When you are making enough money hire at least 2 officers who are fighters and assign them to the roles of fighters, now you can board ships a little easier and maybe drastically improve the ship type you have.

Alway's look at officers skills before hiring them, and if you find one that you already have a officer filling that role then don't be affraid to hire another because a navigator can be just as good as the doctor and a treasurer can fill the role of carpenter. So if the officer in the tavern has beeter navigation skills than your current navigator hire him and assign your old navigator as the doctor and put your new navigators as the ships navigator.

If your not one for boarding actions and would rather run from battles then only keep ships that fast and improve on yur current ship in things like amount of guns, speed, but most importantly cargo space. If however you would rather fight in naval battles then keep ships that are, fast, good cargo space, heavily armoured and most importantly can carry a large crew. Cargohold as important as it is ofr weapons, ammo and the cannons the crew is more iumportant because this allows you to board a few ships without worry of been left to fight off a bunch of eveil guy's with swords and pistals all by your self. Not so important but the size of the maximum allowed calibure might be something you will want to take into account as this will allow you to deviver more deverstating blows to sails, the hull and the crew of enemy ships.

the thing that i'm trying to say that the ships AGAINST me also can't do any damage, so I know the game and I've played all the pirate games until my age(28) so I know how things go on with the game tactics etc.:) so there is a buggy problem in that situation because if a brigate can't harm a sloop, that can't be about the game dynamics, should be about modding stuff. I'm not new with the pirate games, just new with downloading mods. maybe you modders would help me to fix that bug with solutions like changing some codes in *.ini files .I would be thankful :)

I installed all the mods in direct order untill GOF 1.1.2. But there is a serious problem like ABSOLUTELY no damage is done by me or against me in naval battles.Do you have any idea what could be the reason for that?(I also tried by different damage mod settings, nothing changes)
Which ship were you sailing and which ship were you fighting when the problem happened?

The normal frigate SHIP_FRIGATE is invulnerable because the hull is missing something, you can see that it lacks the inside deck.
Also, there are a few other problematic ships like Joe Dagger said

I installed all the mods in direct order untill GOF 1.1.2. But there is a serious problem like ABSOLUTELY no damage is done by me or against me in naval battles.Do you have any idea what could be the reason for that?(I also tried by different damage mod settings, nothing changes)
Which ship were you sailing and which ship were you fighting when the problem happened?

The normal frigate SHIP_FRIGATE is invulnerable because the hull is missing something, you can see that it the lacks inside deck.
Also, there are a few other problematic ships like Craiggo said
I tried with more than 10 ships, and there were 7,6,5 class ships.I checked the invulnerable ships list, and I don't remember that I've fought with any of them either.

Nothing to that effect has ever been reported before. In your mod options, try turning off realistic cannon damage. See if that makes a difference. What you may be seeing is imperceptible damage. In the early game, it's fairly common with that setting for both ships in an engagement to run clean out of ammo before doing any real damage to each other.

It sounds strange maybe a complete re-installation will fix this problem. It really sounds to me something went wrong either in the intstalling process or maybe your download wasn't 100% okay, whatever.

I highly suggest a fresh installation so unintstall everything and then all new in the correct order. I know it's a pain but what you report is not related to the GoF mod I'm pretty sure. Make sure you install over a fresh/vanilla AoP2 installation.

Once you've installed AoP2 in a clean way start a game and check if the damage is working correctly, if so continue with the GoF mod and install that. Then I hope all is working out.

cheers
joe

It sounds strange maybe a complete re-installation will fix this problem. It really sounds to me something went wrong either in the intstalling process or maybe your download wasn't 100% okay, whatever.

I highly suggest a fresh installation so unintstall everything and then all new in the correct order. I know it's a pain but what you report is not related to the GoF mod I'm pretty sure. Make sure you install over a fresh/vanilla AoP2 installation.

Once you've installed AoP2 in a clean way start a game and check if the damage is working correctly, if so continue with the GoF mod and install that. Then I hope all is working out.

cheers
joe
thanks dagger I'll try that

Which of the items I can trade are usable by my crew? Except Rum and Food of course. Are goods such as soap usable and makes f.e. the risk of diseases lower?

Which of the items I can trade are usable by my crew? Except Rum and Food of course. Are goods such as soap usable and makes f.e. the risk of diseases lower?

Food, rum, medicines and weapons.

Soap is useless, pirates doesn't take baths.

Cheers.
buho (A).

Food, rum, medicines and weapons.

Soap is useless, pirates doesn't take baths.

Cheers.
buho (A).

Even if in Rl they did bath and use soap it wouldn't have made any difference since it stunk onboard those ships, so they woud have been just as smelly as they was before bathing. In fact wasn't soap more of a luxury iteam for the rich?

Hmm, sounds like a true story. The description of soap in GOF says it can prevent diseases so I thought it might be useful for the crew. Oh well... ;) Anyways, it's kinda disappointing to know only few items are good to trade and make a profit from it (mahogany, ivory, gold, silver etc) while some are totally useless :(

1 more question: do multiple copies of the same book stack and boost a skill by more than 10 points? I used to have 2-3 copies of each book after training my fighting skills in an english town.

1 more question: do multiple copies of the same book stack and boost a skill by more than 10 points? I used to have 2-3 copies of each book after training my fighting skills in an english town.

Copies of the same book doesn't stack, but there is four layers of books which do stack.

Use the duped books with your officers.

Cheers.
buho (A).

Nope. You only get credit for one of each.

On soap, I can't resist in commenting from a historical perspective. I wish that it was tied to reducing disease - because it did, and it does.

We know that there were soap guilds widely established across western europe by the early middle ages and that soap-makers were an important part of local craftsmen/trade unions and considered in documentation as being as valuable to communities as tinkers, tanners, coopers, cobblers, and fishmongers. I believe the popular conception that people didn't bathe in those times to be a myth. Why? 1) then why was soapmaking a major trade and soap bought, sold, and used. 2) do you like being dirty?

I will say that when I was a young soldier, that me and my comrades sometimes would not take baths/showers for weeks or even months, but this was because either they weren't available, we were in such a cold miserable wet place that we believed that not bathing would waterproof ourselves, and last that we would sometimes enter into "ripeness" contests waiting to be ordered to take a shower. Some people in former times that lived in austere conditions may also have thought it waterproofed them - maybe even sailors.

By the time of full blown piracy and privateering in the 17th century, soap had become a major industry with large factories in London and Marsielles that produced for global export. This is why we added soap as a shipped good for GOF. Face it, soap was a major industry which means people used it. Contemporary medicine didn't know about germs yet, but there were certainly theories and the plague masks with filters show that they suspected some kind of unseen airborne contagion. They had figured out by the 17th century that good hygene prevented disease. At sea, smart captains kept clean ships. FIre, disease, and starvation were the greatest fears of common seamen. Tell me they wouldn't do anything possible to prevent disease if they thought it would work.

I have found several log and personal journal entries in my historical research eluding to crew hygene and even an instance of throwing extra ripe sailors over the side for a swim. I personally think sailors traditionally were way cleaner than their landbound counterpart soldiers, because they had to spend a lot of time wet on deck handling their ships in stormy weather anyway.

Many video games have a plague behavior which kills off men attritionally with disease. Our game is really simple. We don't lose crew if we have medicine. A nice change would be to have a natural attritional crew loss over time regardless. Soap, medicine and fruit could all have modifying attributes that would slow that natural attrition. I think this could be done. If you had all three on board, maybe you could slow crew loss to one man a month or something. It certainly would make for more interesting gameplay and ship management.

MK

Hmm, sounds like a true story. The description of soap in GOF says it can prevent diseases so I thought it might be useful for the crew. Oh well... ;) Anyways, it's kinda disappointing to know only few items are good to trade and make a profit from it (mahogany, ivory, gold, silver etc) while some are totally useless :(

Yea. Also one is able to make way too much profit by trading some of these good resources. I believe, one should not be able to earn like 100k coins just by travelling one trade route with only one big ship in the "fleet". If one has a big trader fleet like some war ships for protection and some galleons for actual shipping then it is okay to earn a good amount of, say, 100k+ coins.

If this is being changed, this means, salaries have to get changed too, otherwise, you will get serious problems. On the other hand, I like it, that players are forced to establish a good trading fleet in order to have a good war fleet available with many crew members being part of it. So a poor pirate should have big problems, having hundreds of crew members on his single ship for a longer period of time.

To solve the problem about some resources being the only ones the player might be interested in trading, I suggest to make them rare. So you can buy a lot of timber but only very few mahagony and maybe almost zero mahagony, if it is not part of the exported resources. That means, if you really want to make a lot of cash by trading gold or such profitable resources, you have to collect them first by travelling around a little, hoping they are available. Therefore you have to make some calculations if this is more profitable than trading the other resources.

Mk0, genius and simple! I'd like that! :) The part about big trading fleet I didn't like. My laptop can't handle big fleets and it would really make sea fights difficult for me :(

Moderknight-> plz introduce the part with soap, fruit and medicine :D

The part about big trading fleet I didn't like. My laptop can't handle big fleets and it would really make sea fights difficult for me :(

Another possibility to constantly afford bigger ships and crew members would be to capture colonies. Build them up and make them your financial backup. In AOP 1, the outcome of coins in colonies depended on the trade skill of your officers, you have chosen to become the governors.

Not sure if it is like that here too. I do not yet know anything about the possibilities of building up colonies and such in this version of the game.

Back