• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Gentelmen of Fortune! v1.2 Full Release Patch 1.0 FAQ/Bugs/Installing

I'm having difficulties with finding the rat god totem chest. A "lady" told me it at San Juan del Norte beach, which is situated near Santa Catalina. I went there, ran around like an idiot, found 2 empty (!!!) chests and some wandering guy. Everyone says it's supposed to be on the beach but it's not :( Any ideas?

2 thing: when I loot corpses of enemy sailors after a successful boarding the option to fight the captain disappears. It's annoying because I'd like to be able to claim all the good stuff I can.

3rd thing: the game crashes after Alt+Tab. Also annoying because I sometimes need answers for the naval quiz :( Any suggestions?

2 thing: when I loot corpses of enemy sailors after a successful boarding the option to fight the captain disappears. It's annoying because I'd like to be able to claim all the good stuff I can.

3rd thing: the game crashes after Alt+Tab. Also annoying because I sometimes need answers for the naval quiz :( Any suggestions?

2. The option disappears but when left clicking on your mouse, you will continue.

3. The game only crashes, when switching from fullscreen game to desktop, when the game is running in different resolution than your desktop. (my experience) Next to your log book there is also a quiz book with the answers.

Thnx mk0 for very useful info. I got some more annoying problems :( When I engage with someone in cannon battle my stupid cannon crews won't fire even if I'm way closer to the enemy ship than the cannon range. I'm using 24lb culverins on my Light Corvette (which I "took" from pirates XD) and I've recently beat a Battle Corvette. They fired at me from the distance of 500 maybe 550 (meters?) while my idiots stood still even at the distance of 350 (max gun range 650). Can anybody tell me what's their problem? Is the chief gunner too noob to shoot far? Cannon skill at 40, while accuracy at 60. Got a chief gunner with all cannon perks, except master gunner and distant fire.

As for the rat god totem problem: can I sleep with an another prostitute to reset the totem's location?

Thnx mk0 for very useful info. I got some more annoying problems :( When I engage with someone in cannon battle my stupid cannon crews won't fire even if I'm way closer to the enemy ship than the cannon range. I'm using 24lb culverins on my Light Corvette (which I "took" from pirates XD) and I've recently beat a Battle Corvette. They fired at me from the distance of 500 maybe 550 (meters?) while my idiots stood still even at the distance of 350 (max gun range 650). Can anybody tell me what's their problem? Is the chief gunner too noob to shoot far? Cannon skill at 40, while accuracy at 60. Got a chief gunner with all cannon perks, except master gunner and distant fire.

Well...

1. Is the ship you like to engage hostile to you? Marked with a red pointer on top of it. (green=friendly, white=neutral)
  2. If not, you have to manually shoot at it first. Sorry, you mentioned it was shooting at you.
  3. Are you probably out of ammo or gunpowder?
  4. Anyways, some hours ago in the mid of a battle, my gunners stopped shooting at a hostile ship, which got close to sink. So there may be a bug. But you still can shoot at it manually.

ps: I think I killed the Bugtracker with my post there. :woot

I suspect you are engaging in a battle thats taking place between for example a pirate and a Dutch ship. the game loads and you have say 1 pirate ship but 2 Dutch ships, the problem with automatic aiming only comes in when that pirate ship is near to a friendly ship of your nation. You can still fire manually though, but you risk hitting the friendly ship which will turn them into enemies and if you turn your guns on the now hostile friendly ships then chances are you will have a bounty on your head before the battle is over. Best thing to do is not to fire at any enemy ships when they are near a friendly ship. I alway's move around to a point that allows me to fire and should any shots go astray they are not going to do anything but make a large spash and maybe kill a shark (not that you can actually do that) Not that i'm aware of anyway.

My standard battle is a solo against a pirate or english ship or a classic triangle: me + friendly fort vs. enemies. I think there's a bug somewhere because I'm in cannon range. Could it be possible because my cannon guys are not very experienced and my chief gunner is not an ace :( ?
I've got tons of cannonballs and powder so this is not the case.
Anybody got any ideas about the Rat God Totem problem? I'll try saving and going at it with an another prostitute.

Funny thing happened yesterday: a pirate ship engaged me (heavy xebec vs my light corvette) and that idiot was out of powder! He kept manouvering while he couldn't shoot me XD I had a ncie target practice.

A few more questions:
-how can I raise my leadership skill?
-how many officers can I get with an authority of 3? I've got 3 authority. I'd like to recruit some other captains and make them my officers but they all refused.
-how much of each material do I need to repair my ship during battles? I've got a carpenter with all ship perks. I know I need canvas, planks and sailcloth to repair damages. Anything else?

Yeah, It sounds like you have a noob gunner and your own skills are low as well/ Your crews gunnery skills are also a factor. When this is the case it's best to fight on deck view and manually place your reticle on target and manually fire using your space bar. Check you powder supply too. I've delivered powder on cargo missions only to find I don't have any myself.

On the rat totem, are you sure you looked in the right place? Its tricky. You have to literally swim out from the beach on the far left side around the corner to rocks you can't see from the beach itself. That's where the totem will be found is on one of those rocks.

3 authority is pretty low. I always start a new game with 8 authority. You're not gonna be able to recruit too many with that number. Keep fighting hard until you find the leadership manuals. They boost your numbers nicely.

Sailcloth and planks is all you need for repairs. The options for light repair and quick repair should pop up on your ship tab at the top of the screen during tactical 3rd person ship view, if you and your carpenter have the skills and you have those items in quantity. Note: you need a lot of planks and sailcloth to make a significant dent in repairing your damage. The carpenter perk reduces the amount of material need times the amount of actual repair achieved. Also realize there are intervals where you can use the option. Every three minutes I think. If you run out of material after on or two times of using quick repair, obviously no further effect is achieved. Light repair will keep working without material, but it's only to save you when you are so damaged you're about to sink.

Still - fun game, isn't it!

MK

Actually there is a bug stopping the cannons for firing.

Sometimes it appears to be related to the position of friendly ships, sometimes it appears to be related to the coast (terrain), sometimes I can't find any possible relation.

The only solution is to move away from the position you are to some other point. Unspeakable irritant when you maneuvered for 10 minutes to position your ship there only to find your guns doesn't fire.

I don't think we being able to fix it, the related code is not in the C-script sources.

Cheers.
buho (A).

-how many officers can I get with an authority of 3? I've got 3 authority. I'd like to recruit some other captains and make them my officers but they all refused.

You can recruit two officers for every point of Authorithy.

Thnx for the answer, guys. The problem with cannons might be related to being close to land :/ I'll check it further. I'll look behind the rocks on the beach :) As for the authority - I can have 6 officers which is nice :) I've got 3 guys with multi tasking so no biggie.
BTW How can I tell what nationality is an officer I want to hire? I can imagine an officer in a spanish town is of that nationality but I'd like to be sure he is! In vanilla AOP 2 officers had a flag in their picture. I wouldn't care if it wasn't linked to their loyalty.

I don't believe officers have a nationality in CoAS. As for your leadership issue, make sure you've grabbed my book duc from the release thread. Books are much more accessible for the time being. With the default bonus values, you'll be a skilled and respected leader in no time!

I don't believe officers have a nationality in CoAS. As for your leadership issue, make sure you've grabbed my book fix from the release thread. Books are much more accessible for the time being. With the default bonus values, you'll be a skilled and respected leader in no time!

I can't find the book fix 0_0 I'm using GOF 1.1 now. Do I still need the fix? Is GOF 1.2 already released? Someone said about book layers - explain please?

I can't find the book fix 0_0 I'm using GOF 1.1 now. Do I still need the fix? Is GOF 1.2 already released? Someone said about book layers - explain please?

http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/18065-gof-11x-download-links-and-documentation/

In my mod options, there is an option about decreasing the stats you can get from books.

Thnx for the answer, guys. The problem with cannons might be related to being close to land :/ I'll check it further. I'll look behind the rocks on the beach :) As for the authority - I can have 6 officers which is nice :) I've got 3 guys with multi tasking so no biggie.

Not so nice, companion captains are counted toward the total. If you want to play a full fleet you'll have only one officer in your ship.

In the first third of the game you need some officers in your ship and a least two other ships in your fleet (to take prizes efficiently or to run trade convoyes): while not turning the game unplayable, you'll be kinda short on officers.

Cheers.
buho (A).

Not so nice, companion captains are counted toward the total. If you want to play a full fleet you'll have only one officer in your ship.

In the first third of the game you need some officers in your ship and a least two other ships in your fleet (to take prices efficiently or to run trade convoyes): while not turning the game unplayable, you'll be kinda short on officers.

I like to play it solo. I don't plan making a fleet at all :) I'll make a big ass class 1 destroyer and have fun with it :)

mk0 -> this link is for GOF 1.1.1. Is the book fix supposed to be in it? I'm a bit slow thinking right now :p 1.1.1 doesn't add much and it seems installing it over 1.1 is a bit of work.

Only 15 additions and 27 bug fixes.

GOF 1.1.2 have all the patches produced for GOF 1.1, including the ones solving the sea battle crashes you are going to experience in the middle and ending GOF 1.1 game. And it adds a dozen things to GOF 1.1, mostly making the interfaces more friendly.

It doesn't change books too much, on the other hand.

Cheers.
buho (A).

Finally found the rat totem -_-' I went to Fort de France, took a few "sessions" with a chick and she told me San Juan del Norte again. I went there and the totem was in a chest in the cave :) It seems I forgot to save after the last sessions with girls and thus couldn't get the totem :/
I'd like to ask again - how do I raise my leadership? What do I have to do? It has a % progress so I'm sure it can go higher. I'm not asking about Authority but about LEADERSHIP. Just to be clear :)
What does the book fix change? Books are in stores? Where can I find infos about different idols found at street stores in towns? I got a few of them.

Back