• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Gentlemen Of Fortune 2.0

Never come across the reload bug myself, but I haven't played long enough to reach the higher ranks. At what rank(s) is this bug showing up?
Luke, mate, i am haveing the same problem as a mate posted earlier. I have the 2.0 mod installed, no updates, but at the Pirates Island, at the ship yard, i cannot upgrade my ship, nor change sail colors, nothing.......the screen locks there. It scrolls, clicks, and everything, but nothing activates, I have to ctrl alt delete and end program to crash the game out so I can reload. all buttons in game become effectless. cannot esc, ect. Upgrading your favorite ships is a nessesity, I'd hate to play through without that feature. But all in all, this is my favorite mod for AoP.

Hey bud, sorry to say but the feature to upgrade sail colour was removed because of bugs and not really knowing what coding was needed. Maybe when I've finished a project on another game i will return and see if i can get this feature back in. But please don't hold me to it because i seriously don't have any where near the amount of time i use to have. In fact i haven't touched the game for a long time now, burned myself out as i often do. Should have learned by now to take a break when ever i feel I'm burning out so i avoid it because when it happens i don't touch the game again and it takes a long time before interest grows again. To be honest I'm really surprised that no one has taken to working on there own mod or even working from one of our mods from the CM days up to the present GOF mod.

Hey bud, sorry to say but the feature to upgrade sail colour was removed because of bugs and not really knowing what coding was needed. Maybe when I've finished a project on another game i will return and see if i can get this feature back in. But please don't hold me to it because i seriously don't have any where near the amount of time i use to have. In fact i haven't touched the game for a long time now, burned myself out as i often do. Should have learned by now to take a break when ever i feel I'm burning out so i avoid it because when it happens i don't touch the game again and it takes a long time before interest grows again. To be honest I'm really surprised that no one has taken to working on there own mod or even working from one of our mods from the CM days up to the present GOF mod.
Yes, the sail color is fine, to be gone, but upgrading is also disabled. I cannot increase my speed, turnrate, hull, storeage, anything. Is tehre something I can change myself in the coding to get those features to work again?

What, really. That's weird because I never intentionally done anything to stop that feature from working, so it must be something to do with the removal of the sail colours etc. I must have removed a line of code that needed to be reverted back, or blocked a line of dialog. I will look into this though, should (if all goes well) only require one or 2 files to check and shouldn't require a new game.

Is it GOF 2.0.9 or earlier your playing?

Tested in GOF 2.0 Full Mod, and the upgrades work fine, the problem kicks in when you try to do the upgrade that allows you to change the colour of your sails. All other upgrades work as they should. The sail upgrade was an added feature in an earlier version of GOF, I added it to this version and then removed it and this is a part of that feature that remains and due to the coding required for that upgrade to work no longer been there the game locks up.

Update:
Download file bellow to fix the upgrade issue's, is savegame compatible. Link added to first post.

http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/COAS/GOF 2/GOF 2.0 Full Mod Patch 1.0.rar

Last edited:
I just installed the 2.0 full, no updates, as was requested several times in this forum. My game says it's 2.0.8 if that means anything to you. I took it from your other posts that all the updates were included in the full 2.0. I will try this fix tomorrow, but all in all, thank you so much mate. I know you're sick of fooling with this game. lol, but thanks a million for giving it a shot. If I should install the 2.0.9 patch......just say. I have not tried it because it takes so long to reinstall the game, and add your mod, and I did that twice last night, after finding 2.0, over the mod databases 1.03 or whatnot. But again, thank you. I will tell you if this fixes it, or if the patch 2.0.9 does as well.

Edit........ the patch you sent me works great........upgrades work again, and colored sails are removed. Thank you so much.

Your welcome bud, have fun.

You could save yourself a lot of time by creating a directory for your modified game, that's what we always recommend and most of us do, not only does it improve game stability on all operating systems above Windows XP but it means we can simply delete the COAS folder from the created directory and past over the vanilla COAS folder from the original install directory (you do need a lot of free space on your hard drive though).

hello to all , i just downloaded the 2.0 full installation , i was reading several post and the issue stills ,
when i board a ship , fight etc etc ... all the crew get killed , sice here its ok , when i start to loot bodys the entry to the next deck to continue the boarding gets blocked , i cant continue the boarding , i ve tried to dont loot anything and all goes fine , same happens at captain room , i kill him , loot and exit goes lock , without it goes fine .

Any idea ? i install the game clear of any shit , install the 2.0 and the GOF 2.0 Full Mod Patch 1.0
any update more needed or im missing something ?? i dont know for real if the game need to be at an specific version prior to install or what( ive got the 1.3.0 vanilla version)

http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/COAS/GOF 2/
those 2 i downloaded ,

thanks for any kind of help

Last edited:
After boarding a ship and the lock disappears you can simply press left mouse button to advance to the captains quarters or exit the battle if you have already killed the captain. I have never had any problems with advancing forward after winning the battle on the deck and I normally play as a pirate because I get to fight many more naval battles.

After boarding a ship and the lock disappears you can simply press left mouse button to advance to the captains quarters or exit the battle if you have already killed the captain. I have never had any problems with advancing forward after winning the battle on the deck and I normally play as a pirate because I get to fight many more naval battles.
im gonna try in few , im reinstaling all to be sure all is good , apart of this one which mods u use luke ? or mainly the gof 2.0 ?'

I only have GOF 2.0 and the patch installed, i have 2 versions of GOF 2 installed though. I have the released version and then the work in progress version, the work in progress version is only for testing things i have modified or mods i have found that i like and implemented then when enough has been done i release it all in a patch so everyone gets to enjoy those improvements/features. Currently I'm not working on anything though (don't have the time at the moment).

I only have GOF 2.0 and the patch installed, i have 2 versions of GOF 2 installed though. I have the released version and then the work in progress version, the work in progress version is only for testing things i have modified or mods i have found that i like and implemented then when enough has been done i release it all in a patch so everyone gets to enjoy those improvements/features. Currently I'm not working on anything though (don't have the time at the moment).
ok it work , sorry for the waste of ur time .. jaja thank u so much
its normal that in the shipyard offers 0 pieces of eight for a ship that i captured ? ( also for mine one )

Last edited:
Your welcome bud.;)

Your rank and trade skills effects the price of ships, also stripping them of their guns which you either mount on your own ship or sell will reduce the price of the ship you stripped them from. Make sure before selling the ship that its fully repaired as a damaged ship will have negative effects on the amount offered to you.

I did notice this bug because I tired to kill all the men inside the enemy ship before boarding it but they where able to reload faster than me. that must be a bug as you said
:) I hope the next version will fix this bug and fix the crew damage because if I use realistic canon damage the ship and sail will get destroyed longer than normal but the crew for both sides still dies like crazy! and I hate to loose my old crew and then find new crew and re-train them to become experienced crew all over again even if the mode tries to make the game as realistic as possible there is no way in history said that there is a captain that get his crew killed in every fight. that happens to me on cannon damage realistic and way worse in coas default or inbetween options even if my doctor defense skill is 74 and he knows medic and life saver skills and if I use a rank 4 ship against a rank 6 ship I loose at least 20 of my crew men and thats alot.

So your saying that the crew loses for realistic cannon damage is to high?

That's interesting because many was complaining about it been to unrealistic and to hard to kill crew in my GOF 1.1 version lol. I don't mind increasing the difficulty of crew been lost in action from cannon fire, to be honest I like long drawn out naval battles, make the game more fun.

Luke i was playing a while , and dont change anything , i can sell captured ships only at 0 pieces even repairing it, happens if ive got the nightmare or the unicorn, or the corvette ( i was checking the ships and other stuff and is a very good job , but this one is giving me a headhache trying to play it )

I was testing a lot , and if a sell the nightmare , all cames back fully ok , there is something bad with those ships , and its a shame because they are really cool

v2fz.png

Last edited:
Your navigation skill plays a big role in ships prices, if your skill is bellow that of the ship you are selling then the price will be lower. All I can suggest is taking ships priced at 0 to other ports and see if anyone offers money to you. But generally yes selling ships can be very profitable business, as long as your willing to accept heavy crew loses which in turn can cost a lot to replace.

i was testing more , at lvl 1 player caracter , if i swich from corsair to merchant it fixes same ships , strange thing

Edit , checked , indeed merchant chars have 9 of nav , and appears a price , and corsairs have 5 , and price is 0 , interesting thing , u were right luke , as always jaja

Last edited:
No problem bud.;)

Assigning an officer to the role of navigator with a higher navigation skill than your should also help make the price appear.

Luke i was playing a while , and dont change anything , i can sell captured ships only at 0 pieces even repairing it, happens if ive got the nightmare or the unicorn, or the corvette ( i was checking the ships and other stuff and is a very good job , but this one is giving me a headhache trying to play it )

I was testing a lot , and if a sell the nightmare , all cames back fully ok , there is something bad with those ships , and its a shame because they are really cool

To add what Luke said even more than navigation - trade skills, reputation, and several other factors affect pricing and ability to generate income.
This is not a bug.

The best advice?

Get more experience.
The beginning of the game is always hard.
Eventually the tides will turn and you will begin to rule the seas.

New patch out, this patch increase RTBL value's to make it harder for crew to be killed. It also fixes many things such as ship crew value's (was in desperate need of fixing) changes the version number to reflect the version of GOF installed. The patch is savegame compatible, use the reinit button after loading your saved game and then save your game before progressing as this will lock the updates in place. Please note the only things that will not be updated are the ships you own, all ships you encounter though will be updated. Bellow are the patch notes.

///////Change Log:
* Fixed left over code from sail colour upgrade (now fully removed) tested and all upgrades work as they should.
* Damage reductions for RTBL, crew are harder to kill, sail damage is reduced as is hull damage.
* Ship HP value's modified, trade ships like the Galleon, Flute etc have had their HP value lowered making them more vunrable in battle while large ships like the Battleship, MOW's etc have had their HP value's increased making them more difficult and a bigger threat.
* Cost for sleeping at the tavern increased slightly.
* 7 Character skill points added.
* Leather and Sandlewood added as starting goods aboard your ship.
* Fixed maximum sail crew (in short this is the maximum amount of crew needed to reach full speed of the ship).
* Fixed crew sizes, dueto the sailing crew fix all ships crew sizes have been checked and redone to account for the sailing crew changes.
* Fixed some ships gunners and cannon crew value's was a little off.
* Fixed RTBL value's for all ships (value's for RTBL and COAS default was the wrong way around).
* Cannon and Culverin prices reduced.

New patch out, this patch increase RTBL value's to make it harder for crew to be killed. It also fixes many things such as ship crew value's (was in desperate need of fixing) changes the version number to reflect the version of GOF installed. The patch is savegame compatible, use the reinit button after loading your saved game and then save your game before progressing as this will lock the updates in place. Please note the only things that will not be updated are the ships you own, all ships you encounter though will be updated. Bellow are the patch notes.

If the changes are compatible with a reinit, this might be of use to J2JonJeremy for his gameplay videos.
But, from the looks some of the potential ship changes and characters require a new game.

Although, I have no idea how far is going to take this series anyway, as he might just get frustrated and quite at the conclusion of the Peter Blood prologue!

Back