• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Gentlemen Of Fortune 2.0

Yes. Open your GOF2 folder and find the engine.ini. It opens with notepad. At the top make sure full_screen = 1. Then below that set your screen resolution. X = the larger number of your screen resolution and Y = the smaller number.

My screen resolution is 1920 X 1080 so X = 1920 and Y = 1080. Save and you are done.

thaaaaaaaaaaanx i finally got it works fine now. :D:D:bow:treasure: btw can we play the game on full screen?

Go here for understanding resolution and basic screen options:

http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/...esolutions-and-correcting-aspect-ratio.22116/

basic control function for full and windowed is this command in engine.ini:

full_screen = 0 (windowed)
full_screen = 1 (full)

Full screen screen MUST match your current monitor resolution or game will crash.
I recommend windowed and adjusted to meet whatever resolution you prefer to operate.

Full screen screen MUST match your current monitor resolution or game will crash.
Is that a CoAS requirement? I know I've been running PotC on my computer in "regular" resolutions like 1024x768 before while my desktop is 1600x900.
I do recall someone mentioning that CoAS is different in this respect though, but I just can't remember. :facepalm

Is that a CoAS requirement? I know I've been running PotC on my computer in "regular" resolutions like 1024x768 before while my desktop is 1600x900.
I do recall someone mentioning that CoAS is different in this respect though, but I just can't remember. :facepalm

I probably should clarify here, because it depends on circumstances.

On the multiple computers that I have run CoAS on including all mods that have been created, the following rules apply (Regardless if you plan on ALT+TAB or not):

Full screen at a different resolution ABOVE your current resolution the game chokes (even if your monitor can properly display it), UNLESS you have dual or triple monitors capable of properly split screening operations.
If you downscale your resolution to a resolution below desktop (such as in your case) it will work as long as your display can handle it, just never ALT+TAB.
This is due to the way that the Storm Engine 2.8 works, and is still present in POTEHO.
The engine basically cannot properly initialize as coded (old technology and is present in many indie games as well)

Fair enough. Sounds similar to PotC after all then. Thanks for the information. :doff

Yes. Open your GOF2 folder and find the engine.ini. It opens with notepad. At the top make sure full_screen = 1. Then below that set your screen resolution. X = the larger number of your screen resolution and Y = the smaller number.

My screen resolution is 1920 X 1080 so X = 1920 and Y = 1080. Save and you are done.
u guys rock thank u all :cheers

You have a death wish bud, and I have never tested it on this difficulty. I have no idea why the enemy ships can hit you at 10 km's away, 1000 yes but only the forts 92Ibs cannons have that range with 48Ibs cannons been a little less in range and so on till 4ibs which is as you no the shortage ranged cannon. These should work in the same way as they do for the lower game difficulties, this means the developers have added bonuses to the AI for higher game difficulties. The harder higher the difficulty the higher and perhaps more bonuses the AI gets. It makes sense but drastically messes up the balancing of the game when developers do things like this in less the bonuses are modified which is something that I would need to find the code for and modify for the game to remain as balanced as possible. Try playing on captain difficulty as this is balanced and offers some challenge.

First, thanks for the answer :).

Second, when I said 10 Km, I mean like "VERY FAR" not 10 Km for real :p. I would venture to say that forts have a smaller range than ships xD (in my game at least).

Here are a couple of images:

Capturadepantalla2014-03-29235113_zpsd0f48f59.png

This one shows (tries to) how far the ship is (By the way, I'm using grape shop, which range is shorter than cannonballs and bombs)

Capturadepantalla2014-03-29234635_zps5e6971dc.png

And this one shows information on the ship (class 5).

I think the game is cheating me... Anyway, I think it must be the difficulty, so, nothing to do xD (I'm not starting again :p).

It must be the difficulty level combined with whatever level you are at now. I am at a much lower difficulty and the 4 lb culverins seem to have a 500-550 yard range.

In ERAS I got to a higher level and ran into ships that were hitting me from 1000 yards away. Forts have a 600 yard range I believe.

4ibs culverins have been a range of 600 while the 4ibs cannons have a range of 500. So these ranges make sense. The ranges was increased to make smaller calibures more useful, if you feel this should be lowered then I can do that and wouldn't require a new game. I can't remember where the value for forts ranges was, but I do remember increasing it in CMV3.2 or maybe GOF 1.0 and then lowering it again due to the calibure of cannon they had mounted not been able to actually fire that far. But now with all forts using 48, 68 or 92Ibs cannons the minimum range can be updated to reflect the range of the 48Ibs cannons which I think is 800. I just need to find the file that had the forts range listed in it, I think I know which file it is so when I get chance I will check it out or if I'm wrong begin searching for the code in other files.

I would like to see the forts have the same range as the largest ships as I have seen forts take a real pounding, but you know more about game balance than I do.

I still have a lot to learn about GOF2 but I am learning that smaller faster firing cannons are better than larger slower firing cannons. It is all about balance. What do others think?

I can not save a game from the main menu, when I tried to quick save it said I could only save at a church? Not very happy about that. Has anyone else had this problem? How can I fix it?

Yeah this isn't a bug, you checked the box at the start for hardcore mode. This mode only allows you to save in churches, leave the box unchecked to save where ever and when ever you wish.

I can not save a game from the main menu, when I tried to quick save it said I could only save at a church? Not very happy about that. Has anyone else had this problem? How can I fix it?

To add to Luke159 said, once you selected this option you cannot go back, its hard coded into your options of your character profile.
You will new to start a NEW game.

Guys, is it normal that the crew on the ships take like a crapload of damage from the fort cannons(not sure about ship vs. ship) and the hull is like not even half away from being destroyed? Can forts use different types of cannon balls too? Maybe they were using grapes or something. :facepalm I have my realistic cannon damage inbetween the Vanilla COAS values and the GOF ones if that helps :)

Guys, is it normal that the crew on the ships take like a crapload of damage from the fort cannons(not sure about ship vs. ship) and the hull is like not even half away from being destroyed? Can forts use different types of cannon balls too? Maybe they were using grapes or something. :facepalm I have my realistic cannon damage inbetween the Vanilla COAS values and the GOF ones if that helps :)

It depends on three factors:
1) The cannon settings file (CoAS, Inbetween, Realistic) in Mod Options
2) what the cannon damage settings are in terms of multiplier factor in these files
3) cannon size being used for the forts.

Since Luke159 has done tweaking on the damage realism settings since 2.0.7, he will have to answer what the current settings are in his latest version.
This can be edited yourself if you wish to modify the values.

Hello everyone,

I have a strange little oddity that at first I thought was intentional until all of a sudden, I encounter a Bounty Hunter fleet using the Flying Dutchman. I've had them use the Black Pearl and Queen Anne's Revenge before and I didn't think much of it until now. I believe it was mentioned somewhere else about it being a similar problem like the Gentlemen of Luck encounter which is a result of the game files not properly defining what can and cannot spawn.

Now, as it's already bad enough being constantly harassed by Bounty Hunters, would anyone here who is far more capable of coding/modding be able to give me advice on how to modify these encounters to be as realistic as possible? I.E Not have Bounty Hunters and Gentlemen of Luck use ships that they shouldn't be?

Last edited:
Sadly you can't specifically say all ships marked as ship_X can be used for bounty hunters while ship_Y are for general encounters like pirates fleets etc. We have added code that does change the encounters but some ships we just have to accept or the alternative is make them so they can't spawn at all and are there for unique ships a character either starts off with or are only obtainable via quests like the true Flying Dutchmen. As for the flying Dutchmen problem before, that was the wrong model been used and personally I don't like the idea of the cursed Dutchmen been included but was included for the fans of the movie POTC. Be a little unfair to allow the black pearl to have its place and not the cursed Dutchmen, then again maybe there is some code that does give indications as to what ships bounty hunters are allowed to use. Gentlemen of luck fleets though are pirates and the cursed Dutchmen should only be seen in pirate fleets.

Ahah! Yes Pieter, that's exactly what I meant when I mentioned that there was some coding for the Gentlemen of Luck encounters.

I have to admit, I personally don't like the idea of Pirates of the Caribbean stuff being in this mod but that's more a personal preference. Sadly the ERAS Mod that does exactly what I'd like it to but is currently not available, much to my dismay.

Still, I do think if it's possible, you should incorporate the code that Pieter used for the Gentlemen of Luck. I know it's not really a huge deal in the grand scheme of things but it's these little things that sort of add or detract to the overall feel of a mod. At the end of the day this is just a recommendation from someone who desperately wants a good game of this kind but has no idea about anything mod related, so take what I say as you will.

Still, I'd like to say thank you for taking the time out of your days to develop these mods, I know that sometimes people take mod developers for granted so thank you.

Aphil: I have played ERAS up to level 28 before I gave up on it. It is a buggy mess that is constantly crashing. Is that exactly what you want?

Back