• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Get details from the governor - Tales of a sea hawk

Harriet Ström

Powder Monkey
Hi! I'm stuck playing this main quest. I'm supposed to go after the ship to take the idol but I can't get to the sea. I'm going down to the port and the "get to ship" and "sea" icons appear but do not work... Can you help me please? I'm uploading a save file. Best regards Harriet

Attachments

• Save.rar
    1.5 MB · Views: 542
@Harriet Ström, to prevent confusion, which modpack version (if any) are you playing?
Check your game's main menu/compile.log in your main game folder if you're not sure.

I've been playing arcade mode only and never tried realistic.
In that case, it sounds really, REALLY strange. I haven't a clue what might be going on and I can't investigate either.
All I can suggest is to try the latest version and hopefully it'll behave itself in there...

That sounds quite old. I'm not sure what has changed since then, but you might want to consider upgrading to the latest version and starting a new game:
Mod Release - Build 14 Beta [Last Update: 3 August 2018]

Otherwise I'd ask @Grey Roger if he knows what might be going on, but he's on holiday at the moment...
I can sometimes check the forum but can't try out the savegame. In any case, if it's from last year then it won't work with the game I have installed. All I know is that the storyline did work last year because I played it to completion, so I've no idea what is wrong here.

As for Isla de Muerte, Blackbeard's beach might not have existed in that game version but Vanderdecken's base should be there.

Hi! I'm stuck playing this main quest. I'm supposed to go after the ship to take the idol but I can't get to the sea. I'm going down to the port and the "get to ship" and "sea" icons appear but do not work... Can you help me please? I'm uploading a save file. Best regards Harriet

Loading the saved game reveals that although you may be at Bridgetown Port your ship is at Gray Rock Bay. I would guess you went there because being a "renowned" pirate captain with all nations hostile you get shot up at a port. In addition being cursed may have also led you to go that way. Fast travel to the ship shows the ship in Gray Rock Bay but you can't just sail round to Bridgetown to attack the ship and gain the idol.

I presume the ship with the idol set up only works if you have your ship in port so you may need an earlier save (if you have one) and perhaps then go and get amnesty with English to enter the port safely.

However if you just want a "cheat" put this in console
Code:
PlaceFleetNearShore("Greenford_Port");
press F12 in game and you will have the ship at the right place to continue and can go to sea and fight the ship.

Huh. That used to work. I would land at the lighthouse for that part and then get on my ships and attack the frigate with the idol. I remember I had to stay out of range of the forts guns,

Huh. That used to work. I would land at the lighthouse for that part and then get on my ships and attack the frigate with the idol. I remember I had to stay out of range of the forts guns,

I bow to your greater knowledge and experience. It probably still does work, normally, but in this saved game if you sail to Bridgetown you can dance with the ship but your cannons won't fire, can't get an icon to board and even the instant boarding perk (which she has) won't work. However for some strange reason putting the ship at Bridgetown via console does allow everything (cannons,boarding and instant boarding) to work, but a year old version I'm not looking further.

Right. Bridgetown has always been a bit buggy and she might have hit on a certain combination of things that caused it to glitch.

Excuse me if I hijack this thread, but I have a question about it which doesn't necessarily has to be a bug, but more of a "git gud"-problem:

How exactly are you supposed to board the ship, when:

a) the Fortress is shredding your ship into pieces, even when it's a 3rd-rate-ship of the line? I had an upgraded Centurion, by the way.
b) the wind is against you, so you can't even reach it before dying to the fortress?

I then tried sailing around the island, which not only was frustrating due to sailing against the wind. But apparently the soldiers can see through mountains, because the fortress peppered me with highly-accurate artillery-fire, which seemed to come through the mountains.

Yes, the ship isn't far from the port, but under this circumstances, it looks like an almost impossible quest.

Soooooooooooooooo...
Could someone offer advice, please? :oops:

he wind is against you, so you can't even reach it before dying to the fortress?
Wind direction is random, so that isn't intentional.
If that really makes it impossible, we could use the 'SetNextWind' function in the quest to always provide you with a favourable wind for this scene.

But apparently the soldiers can see through mountains, because the fortress peppered me with highly-accurate artillery-fire, which seemed to come through the mountains.
Indeed I do believe the game engine doesn't quite understand how "solid land" works, so all NPC ships can indeed see right through it.
However, cannonballs do hit land and cannot pass through, so what you describe does sound very odd. o_O

For one thing, make sure you have either a carpenter with "Professional Damage Control" or a surgeon with "Professional Ship Defence" (depending on whether you have the latest update with the revised perks).

A slow 3rd rate ship might not be the best choice for this. I'm usually in a flushdeck frigate at this point, which isn't as tough as a Centurion but is a lot faster. Get to the enemy frigate as soon as possible, board it, then get round the corner quickly.

Forts should indeed not be able to fire through mountains. But if the wind is a problem, it should indeed be possible, as @Pieter Boelen says, to rig the wind so that it's always blowing out to sea. This is already done earlier in the game, when you meet with agent Tobias and captain Rabel Yverneau to get Yverneau's ship out of Speightstown with the fort firing at you and the French blockade squadron closing in.

But would the flushdeck-frigate even survive a serious beating from the fortress?

And unfortunately, I really have to request a fixed wind direction to the sea. Because I'm certain that otherwise, the quest becomes impossible, even with a fast ship. With favourible wind, I think that even a large ship can do it.

Back