• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

getting spanked

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
I got tired of looking at frigates with their spankers pointing the wrong way and tried to fix it myself. :nk I copied the spanker from the fastmerchantman into the RN_lightfrigate folder and renamed it. It still points the wrong way! :glare: What else needs to be changed? I don't care about the reverse lighting bug. This is a game about sailing ships and it is crazy to have the sails pointing the wrong way!

It's not the spanker model that determines its direction, but a locator value.
In the mast model which supports the spanker, find its locator and change the XX value to -1.
That's what changes the direction, because it literally inverts the model along the x-axis, which turns it inside-out.

Some ships, however, have the damn thing modelled with a yard stuck to it, as part of the above sail.
In that case, changing this locator value would cause havoc, so the spanker needs replacing, and another yard added separately. :modding

Believe me, I've tried all possible combinations of XX, YY and ZZ values, but all others just give upside-down, wrong way around, stretched, squashed, or otherwise distorted results. :wacko:
I've also tried positioning the model at an angle using TOOL, similar to the Lugger's spanker, but that just keeps the spanker on one side of the ship at all times.
So this is the only way, and to remove the reverse lighting side effect, the model needs to be physically inverted, so that the XX value cancels it out.

Your instructions worked just fine once I remembered how to use TOOL. It appears that the only thing getting the reverse lighting bug is the spanker. It really isn't too noticeable. The wheel is more noticeable. It's not ok for general release, but it's good enough for me. :cheers

If I recall, rather than the spanker getting REAL reverse lighting bug, it gets flipped inside-out which looks even weirder in my eyes. :wacko:

That's why, as miklkit said, it's not good enough for general release. It DOES look weird, and no doubt we'd get complaints from observant players. :facepalm
The thing is, I wonder whether an already-inverted model would have reverse lighting once re-inverted in the game?
If that were the case, then such a model would need to be modelled with reverse lighting as well.
No doubt all that would be a headache for modellers, but still achievable. :whipa

EDIT: Aha! This might please you, miklkit. I've found at least two more ships with correct spankers: Speedy1 and Sophie1.
Their spanker models are both inverted and have reverse lighting, but in both cases they are corrected by XX -1 in-game! :woot
Ironically, I think pgargon changed the effect when he fixed the reverse lighting on both ships, but his original spanker models work perfectly!
Now, I can't remember whether I used those spankers in the ship packs or not. Can you please confirm this in your game?

At least this proves that the method to counter the inversion actually works! :dance

Short day I guess. :rolleyes:

Both of those ships look fine to me, but that light frigate looks fine to me too. :wp Whatcha think?

The cargo capacities on those two ships are small enough to make them starter ships, if one wanted to cheat. :p3

Well the main thing is that they're correct as per the ship packs, so I don't need to re-release them.
I think that the light frigate example you have is quite noticeable compared to these two, but as you say, it's good enough that it works for now.

Maybe, at the very least, we could post an important message in the Modelling forum, informing modellers of the spanker issue, and how to avoid it.
That might get the attention of some modellers, and hopefully we'd see an improvement in future ships! :woot

It was the SloopofWar_50 where I tried to fix the spanker by flipping it inside-out and messing around with 3DS MAX and introducing the reverse lighting bug on purpose and all sorts.
Don't remember if I managed.

That model's spanker looks like all the others, so any evidence of you trying anything is no longer present. :facepalm
Did you say that you no longer have the program, or something?
If you did still have it, I'm sure pgargon could show you how to successfully invert spanker models, along with reverse lighting.
Equally, it would be helpful for a modeller such as himself to post a short tutorial on how to do this to old spankers, so that any modeller could do it.

Armada, could you post about this issue on the modelers forum? I have posted about this before but never got an answer. Methinks they would get upset if I started posting screenies of what I've been doing to their otherwise excellent ships. I'm changing a few ships every day. The barque longue is my latest victim. ;)

Can do. I'll call it an "Important notice to Modellers", and hopefully they'll listen. :cheeky

It's a funny way to think of the ships you're changing as 'victims'... "You're spanker will point the right way, and like it, OR ELSE!" :whipa

Well, from the modelers point of view it's probably more like turning a silk purse into a sow's ear. :slap To me the reverse lighting is only noticeable at night, and I can overlook it. I got to where I was only sailing lateen rigged ships, it bothers me so much.

Thank you very much for posting in the modelers forum. :onya

No problem... let's just hope we get a response or two... :will

SloopofWar_50 looks like something I would do. The spanker points in the correct direction and it has the reverse lighting bug.

Trust you to be the one who sees a different meaning in the topic title... xD:

The idea was to attract attention. :wp I hope some modelers saw it.

Btw, I'm starting to experiment with lateen sails now. They seem to act more like wings than sails.

The lateen sails are difficult to nail down. Either way they are set at one time or another they are wrong. Methinks their physics might be off a bit. But, when XX is set to -1 they are right much more often. I have a bunch of screenies and videos to illustrate this if anyone is interested, but will just post these.

These are a fluyt with a tailwind and going as deep into the wind as it can with XX-1, and the same fluyt going into the wind with XX+1.

Back