• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release GOF Historical Eras Module #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just downloaded ERAS and then unzipped it using 7Zip.

Tomorrow I will install COAS and then Tages, make sure it is ok, and then install ERAS.

Instaled it and testing it now...looks everything is working...expect camera sometime feels a little strange ,kinda streching and disorting the image at some angles...maybe its my resolution 1920x1080.
I had a funny thing happened to me now..maybe this also need adresing in patch or what.
I tried selling some cocoa to smuglers since its contraband on island...anyway there comes that patrol guys "what are you doing" ...I evade them and now im in my ship ( the bigger tartane only one i could afford ) and im evading the patroling english yacht...after some time evading and winds changing in his favour i aks him will he take a bribe to let me go ...and he says yes for 20 coins...HA! here you go im on my way hehehe

Downloading now. It'll take.... a while. If I manage at all from my hotel internet.....

Anyway, I still need the answers to some of these questions:
My new Build installer method uses a 7-Zip archive as well. So if you post the 7-Zip version, I can probably make an installer to go with it.
It'll be a two-file installation process, but there is probably no choice on that anyway.

I just have some questions:
- What is the default installation directory for CoAS?
- What exact name do you want for your modpack in the installer? Both long and short names, if possible.
- Do you want to be listed as publisher yourself or are you fine with it saying "PiratesAhoy! Community"? If not, what do you want it to say instead?
- Do you have a specific icon you would like for the installer file?
- Do you have any text for either Installation Instructions OR a "Licence"?
- Any ReadMe file you want to have displayed after the installation completes?
- Are there any additional components or is it "one size fits all"? Do you mind me adding "ENB Improved Graphics" as an option?

For installation instructions:
- Are there any files that should be deleted? For example, it is probably a good idea to at least empty out the SAVE folder and remove the "options" file so people get a proper clean start.

If you can, please get me the details before the end of the month or so, preferably a week early.
I won't be around much longer, but would like to get this done for you before I go.
Once my download completes, I'll have a look at how it is set up and see if I can get the installer file made.

Dammit, download already failed twice and it hardly even got started. :facepalm

I don't actually need the file itself to make the installer. What I DO need is to know what folder it extracts to by default.
Is it set up as attached Example 1 or Example 2? It may look very similar, but the one extracts to a subfolder and the other one doesn't.
Usually, I find "Example 2" to be the best method for zipping, but for making an installer EXE, I need it to be set up as in "Example 1".
So is that the case? And if so, what is the exact name of the folder it is set up to extract to?

Attachments

• Example 1.zip
    566 bytes · Views: 156
  • Example 2.zip
    300 bytes · Views: 152
Dammit, download already failed twice and it hardly even got started. :facepalm

I don't actually need the file itself to make the installer. What I DO need is to know what folder it extracts to by default.
Is it set up as attached Example 1 or Example 2? It may look very similar, but the one extracts to a subfolder and the other one doesn't.
Usually, I find "Example 2" to be the best method for zipping, but for making an installer EXE, I need it to be set up as in "Example 1".
So is that the case? And if so, what is the exact name of the folder it is set up to extract to?

OK just briefly checking in. Sorry the DL failed. I am surprised at how many DLd it already - over 30.

Sorry I didn't address your questions earlier Pieter.

So here's my answers... First I think example 2 is better because if its an auto install people really don't need a base folder.

Directory: The game has been installing to my (x86) partition naturally but I have heard that some people have trouble playing it in 64 mode and prefer the 32 partition. I think its a simple question of what card they have really. Regardless we tell people to pull the whole modded game folder onto their desktop after installation because it just performs so much better there and with way less problems. So I guess for Install Directory I would say C:\Program Files(x86)\Playlogic\Age of Pirates 2

I wish I had a cool Icon but I don't. If you have something neat yourself please use it. I have been meaning to learn to make my own icons. I've seen the Youtube tutorial and it isn't that hard. Maybe later....would that be something easy to add in at a later time?

Just put Pirates Ahoy! community as publisher. Even though I did 95 percent of the work, I couldn't have done it without PA or other modders like yourself. Also a lot of the content I added was provided for PA! mods by PA! modders not just for little ole me. So I think PA! community is best as publisher.

My read me covers most questions and bugs. I can't think of anything particular to put in as far as installation instructions unless its about how to DL and use 7z exe as others have already been confused by that already. Also the bit I talked about with moving your game file to the desktop for best performance after installation. That's all I can think of.

Thanks for doing this Pieter! :cheers

@ jokash: Glad everything is working. The reason the bribe is only 20 is because you aren't worth anything to them yet. Once you're at level 10 with a reputation see how much the bribe will cost. LOL

On your camera...try zooming in and out with your center mouse wheel. You will find that you can get a lot better views from much farther out which is really great for battles. I always thought the game was zoomed way too close and it felt claustrophobic to me. The only time you will get oddly distorted views is when you zoom in close. I think you will get used to it actually like it better. If not I can put up a tutorial of how to change back to vanilla view.

MK

There is an EXE on the FTP? I DLed from the 1st post of this thread.

I don't know what COAS extracts to by default. It turns out that I had a default game pre-installed with Tages and everything.

There is a readme at the bottom of the 1st post that has a lot of info.

I don't know if this will help, but here is the path I used to install.
ERAS2 installation.jpg

So here's my answers... First I think example 2 is better because if its an auto install people really don't need a base folder.
Generally speaking, example 2 indeed IS better. But for my installer process it doesn't work, because the 7-Zip extracting plugin ALWAYS puts files in the same folder as the installer EXE.
Then the contents have to be moved to the actual destination folder afterwards. I don't like having to do that, but I have found no other way myself.
So I need the 7-Zip file to be set up as example 1. :facepalm

I wish I had a cool Icon but I don't. If you have something neat yourself please use it.
I usually pick from one of these four. Any one you like? Alternatively, there are many piratey icons that can be found on the Internet.

Attachments

• potc_icons.zip
    105.8 KB · Views: 137
OK that's fine Pieter as long as that's explained to people on 7Zip use no big deal. Some people just are not familiar with it. I personally think its the best compressor transfer tool out there and have recommended it professionally even.

Thanks for the icon list. I think I like the compass best. It goes best with the Golden Age theme I think.

Thanks again brother! :thumbs1

MK

OK that's fine Pieter as long as that's explained to people on 7Zip use no big deal. Some people just are not familiar with it. I personally think its the best compressor transfer tool out there and have recommended it professionally even.
7-Zip is great! I agree on that.

Anyway, I need to know how your actual upload it set up so I can write the installer to match.
I can't check myself, because my internet is apparently not good enough at the moment to complete the download.

And did you mention there was a last-minute file that needed to be added?

Thanks for the icon list. I think I like the compass best. It goes best with the Golden Age theme I think.
Alrightee. :doff

7-Zip is great! I agree on that.

Anyway, I need to know how your actual upload it set up so I can write the installer to match.
I can't check myself, because my internet is apparently not good enough at the moment to complete the download.

And did you mention there was a last-minute file that needed to be added?

Alrightee. :doff

The way it is set up is as example 1. It's just named GOF ERAs2

Keep in mind also that I included the modules folder and a bunch of base files, exes, and dlls that are not in any folders that you will see below the Program and RESOURCE folders. These are all necessary because they have all been modified.

Don't worry about that last minute file. Its not a big deal. Just some additional dialogue I had changed and forgot to put back in. I improved a lot of the dialogue files. I will put it with patch 1. There are still some more ships I am reskinning and other things I am doing that will go in patch1 around Christmas time. I just needed to get this out for everybody and my time is now going to be very limited for a few months.

MK

See attached for my first version of the Installer EXE. Place it in the same folder as your "GOF ERAs2.7z" and it should work.
Of course I can't test it myself, because I don't have AoP 2 here myself and the download keeps failing due to my Internet connection.

It is based on this installer script file:
Code:
; Script generated by the HM NIS Edit Script Wizard.

Name "Historical Eras Module #2"
OutFile "gof_eras2_installer.exe"
InstallDir "$PROGRAMFILES\Playlogic\Age of Pirates 2\"

ShowInstDetails nevershow
SetCompressor lzma
ComponentText "READ THE DESCRIPTIONS! Only install additional options if you REALLY need or want them."

; Request application privileges for Windows Vista
RequestExecutionLevel highest

; HM NIS Edit Wizard helper defines
!define PRODUCT_NAME "Age of Pirates II: Historical Eras"
!define PRODUCT_VERSION "Module #2"
!define PRODUCT_PUBLISHER "PiratesAhoy! Community"
!define PRODUCT_WEB_SITE "http://www.piratesahoy.net"

; MUI 1.67 compatible ------
!include "MUI.nsh"

; MUI Settings
!define MUI_ABORTWARNING
!define MUI_ICON "C:\Users\PDM Boelen\Desktop\NEW\Installer\UsedFiles\A Compass That Doesn't Point North.ico"

; Welcome page
!insertmacro MUI_PAGE_WELCOME
; License page
!define MUI_LICENSEPAGE_CHECKBOX
!define MUI_PAGE_CUSTOMFUNCTION_SHOW licpageshow
!insertmacro MUI_PAGE_LICENSE "C:\Users\PDM Boelen\Desktop\CoAS\Installer\UsedFiles\Installation Instructions.txt"
; Components page
!insertmacro MUI_PAGE_COMPONENTS
; Directory page
!insertmacro MUI_PAGE_DIRECTORY
; Instfiles page
!insertmacro MUI_PAGE_INSTFILES
; Finish page
!define MUI_FINISHPAGE_SHOWREADME "$INSTDIR\GOF Eras2 Readme.txt"
!define MUI_FINISHPAGE_SHOWREADME_TEXT "Read modpack details"
!insertmacro MUI_PAGE_FINISH

; Language files
!insertmacro MUI_LANGUAGE "English"

; ================================================
;  Copy Folder with Overwrite
!include 'LogicLib.nsh'
!include 'FileFunc.nsh'
!insertmacro Locate

Var /GLOBAL switch_overwrite
!include 'UsedFiles\MoveFileFolder.nsh'

;  License Page with Courier New Font

Function licpageshow
FindWindow $0 "#32770" "" $HWNDPARENT
CreateFont $1 "Courier New" "$(^FontSize)"
GetDlgItem $0 $0 1000
SendMessage $0 ${WM_SETFONT} $1 1
FunctionEnd

;  Start Main Files Section

Section "!Main Files" SEC01
  ${If} ${FileExists} "$INSTDIR\GAME.exe"
  ${Else}
  MessageBox MB_OK|MB_ICONINFORMATION "GAME.exe not found. Make sure you install the 2009 Age of Pirates II: City of Abandoned Ships game by Akella first!" IDOK abort1
  abort1:
  Banner::destroy
  Abort
  ${EndIf}

; Only do this if the file is there
  ${If} ${FileExists} "$EXEDIR\GOF ERAs2.7z"
  ${Else}
  MessageBox MB_OK|MB_ICONINFORMATION "Main Files archive file not present. Place 'GOF ERAs2.7z' in this folder to continue." IDOK continue
  continue:
  ${If} ${FileExists} "$EXEDIR\GOF ERAs2.7z"
  ${Else}
  MessageBox MB_OK|MB_ICONINFORMATION "Main Files archive not found. Skipping section." IDOK abort2
  abort2:
  return
  ${EndIf}
  ${EndIf}

;  Prepare and Clean Up Stock Game Folder

StrCpy $switch_overwrite 1

; Delete unnecessary main game files
  Delete $INSTDIR\options
  RMDir /r $INSTDIR\SAVE

;  Install Main Modpack Files

; Extract 7-Zip File
  SetOutPath "$EXEDIR"
  Nsis7z::ExtractWithDetails "GOF ERAs2.7z" "Extracting Main Modpack Files: %s..."

; Copy from EXE Folder to Installation Directory
  !insertmacro MoveFolder "$EXEDIR\GOF ERAs2\" "$INSTDIR\" "*.*"

SectionEnd

;  Start UPDATE Files Section

Section "UPDATE Files" SEC02
  SectionIn RO

${If} ${FileExists} "$INSTDIR\GAME.exe"
  ${Else}
  MessageBox MB_OK|MB_ICONINFORMATION "GAME.exe not found. Make sure you install the 2009 Age of Pirates II: City of Abandoned Ships game by Akella first!" IDOK abort1
  abort1:
  Abort
  ${EndIf}

${If} ${FileExists} "$INSTDIR\GOF Eras2 Readme.txt"
  ${Else}
  MessageBox MB_OK|MB_ICONINFORMATION "GOF Eras2 Readme.txt not found. Make sure you install the Historical Eras Module #2 Main Files first!" IDOK abort2
  abort2:
  Abort
  ${EndIf}

;  Install UPDATE Files

;  Clean Up Update Files

SectionEnd

;  Additional Optional Sections

Section /o "ENB Improved Graphics" SEC03
  Delete "$INSTDIR\Uninstall ENB.bat"
  SetOutPath "$INSTDIR"
  File "C:\Users\PDM Boelen\Desktop\NEW\Installer\ENB\d3d8.dll"
  SetOutPath "$INSTDIR\Documentation"
  File "C:\Users\PDM Boelen\Desktop\NEW\Installer\ENB\Documentation\ENB Key Codes.txt"
  File "C:\Users\PDM Boelen\Desktop\NEW\Installer\ENB\Documentation\ENB License.txt"
  File "C:\Users\PDM Boelen\Desktop\NEW\Installer\ENB\Documentation\ENB ReadMe.txt"
  SetOutPath "$INSTDIR"
  File "C:\Users\PDM Boelen\Desktop\NEW\Installer\ENB\enbconvertor.ini"
  File "C:\Users\PDM Boelen\Desktop\NEW\Installer\ENB\enbpalette.bmp"
  File "C:\Users\PDM Boelen\Desktop\NEW\Installer\ENB\enbseries.ini"
  File "C:\Users\PDM Boelen\Desktop\NEW\Installer\ENB\Uninstall ENB.exe"
SectionEnd

Section -Post
  CreateDirectory $INSTDIR\SAVE
SectionEnd

;  Section Descriptions and Size

Function .onInit
# Section Size must be manually set to the size of the required disk space as NSIS will not do this for external files.
# set required size of section number of kilobytes
SectionSetSize ${SEC01} 6710886

; Installer must NOT be in the game directory
${If} ${FileExists} "$EXEDIR\ENGINE.exe"
  MessageBox MB_OK|MB_ICONINFORMATION "Please place the installation files OUTSIDE your game folder." IDOK abort
  abort:
  Abort
${EndIf}

FunctionEnd

!insertmacro MUI_FUNCTION_DESCRIPTION_BEGIN
  !insertmacro MUI_DESCRIPTION_TEXT ${SEC01} "Code files and resources required for Historical Eras Module #2. Deselect if installing an Update only."
  !insertmacro MUI_DESCRIPTION_TEXT ${SEC02} "Additional UPDATE files for Historical Eras Module #2. Will ALWAYS be installed."
  !insertmacro MUI_DESCRIPTION_TEXT ${SEC03} "Post-processing improved graphics. WARNING: Requires very high system specifications to run smoothly. Only install if you have a really good computer!"
!insertmacro MUI_FUNCTION_DESCRIPTION_END
And this is the text for the installation instructions I added:
Code:
_  _  ______ _____  ___ ______  _____ _  _  _  _
| | | |  | ___ \  ___|/ _ \|  _  \  |  _  | \ | |  | | | |
| | | |  | |_/ / |__ / /_\ \ | | |  | | | |  \| |  | | | |
| | | |  |  /|  __||  _  | | | |  | | | | . ` |  | | | |
|_| |_|  | |\ \| |___| | | | |/ /  \ \_/ / |\  |  |_| |_|
(_) (_)  \_| \_\____/\_| |_/___/  \___/\_| \_/  (_) (_)

>>>USEFUL<<<  installation information below!
  -- We're pirates! Would we LIE to you? --

=====================================================
CRUCIAL INSTALLATION TIPS:

1. You MUST install this on top of the unmodified stock game
  Age of Pirates II: City of Abandoned Ships.
  The mod is NOT a standalone game!

- DON'T install the game to Program Files,
  otherwise Windows prevents it from installing correctly
  Install to, for example, C:\Games\Age of Pirates 2

- Recommended settings:
  . Corsair difficulty
  . Few ships encountered
  . Toggle OFF "Show Information" about other ships
  . Set "In Between" for cannon damage
  NOTE: You can change this to Realistic later
  . Check "Surrenders Occasionally"

- !!!SAVE OFTEN!!!

KNOWN GAME ISSUES AND SOLUTIONS:

- Windows Security Issues:
  If necessary, use "Compatability Administrator (32-bit)"
  http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=7352

- Using ffdshow:
  Add the game to your "exception list"

GAME AND MODPACK SUPPORT:

- Full support available at the PiratesAhoy! Community:
  http://www.piratesahoy.net/forums/
If anything doesn't work right, or you want any changes to it, please let me know.

Edit: File removed. Newer version made.

Last edited:
First feedback. :checklist

1. When sailing your ship the view looks a bit like a fish eye camera. Things are compressed in the center of the screen and expanded way too wide on the edges of the screen. I have seen this in other games when the Field Of View is set too wide.
In Half Life 2 it looks a bit like this when the FOV is set to 90 degrees but looks good when the FOV is set to 72 degrees. I do not know where the FOV is set in COAS. Look at this ship when viewed from above. The 2 screenies were taken just seconds apart.
start 2013-11-18 15-56-29-85.jpg start 2013-11-18 15-56-40-18.jpg

2. Being able to save in church only is a bad idea because it implies that the game is 100% stable and will never crash, and that everyone wants to play for extended periods of time all the time. There will be static about this just as there is static about the extended time between checkpoints(and the ability to save) in Bioshock Infinite.

3. Where did the wake go behind the ships? That is a great feature that really sets COAS apart from POTC.
start 2013-11-18 16-03-46-50.jpg

In Half Life 2 it looks a bit like this when the FOV is set to 90 degrees but looks good when the FOV is set to 72 degrees. I do not know where the FOV is set in COAS. Look at this ship when viewed from above. The 2 screenies were taken just seconds apart.

That's an old problem that you can fix by accessing one of the files and setting the screen resolutioin to match your screen. I think it's in the main CoAS directory, but I don't have my other computer with me to check.

First feedback. :checklist

1. When sailing your ship the view looks a bit like a fish eye camera. Things are compressed in the center of the screen and expanded way too wide on the edges of the screen. I have seen this in other games when the Field Of View is set too wide.
View attachment 13925 View attachment 13926

2. Being able to save in church only is a bad idea because it implies that the game is 100% stable and will never crash, and that everyone wants to play for extended periods of time all the time. There will be static about this just as there is static about the extended time between checkpoints(and the ability to save) in Bioshock Infinite.

3. Where did the wake go behind the ships? That is a great feature that really sets COAS apart from POTC.
View attachment 13927

How many crashes have you had Hylie? I made some sacrifices for stability sake and wake was one of the items I sacrificed. I will put it back at some point. I did my best. Is there anything you like about the mod?

MK

There is tons to like! There is a lot more variety around the towns. Overall it is lighter and brighter than POTC. The sailing is pretty slow, but I'm just starting out so have low skills.

I have had no crashes at all and don't expect any, but almost all games crash sooner or later. I didn't know the wake was sacrificed for reliability.

Basically right now I'm just trying to learn the game. I already know to avoid fights as I'm way too clumsy. Too used to POTC I guess. Only got in one "battle" so far. I encountered a hostile ship that never got in range of my guns, fired one broadside and then sailed away.

Please remember that I'm used to looking for things that aren't perfect in the hope of improving the game and I doubt that there will be much more to do but lay on the praise once I learn of all there is in the ERAS mod.

So glad this finally released MK. Hope it feels good to get it out there :) I'll be downloading after i clear some HD space (have only 320 gigs to work with total) Thank you greatly for all the time and effort put into this for our enjoyment and best of luck on feature endeavors!

Hylie, are you sure you have your resolution set correctly in engine.ini?

Modernknight1, have you had the chance to look at that installer file yet? I wouldn't mind knowing if it works.... :wp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back