• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release GOF Historical Eras Module #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
OH Geez, ive got a problem! As i posted earlier today i started downloading the mod, and now when it was at 98% the download failed -_- And i cant redownload the mod, from the given link it seems broken. May that be the reason why my download failed, and if so may it be possible to provide different links from where to download?

Thanks for your comments Luke. I really appreciate it. Actually I ported the most new content in from SOFS which no one but Craiggo had done before - and he mostly snagged ships. I also grabbed a bunch of stuff from that new PO:TEHO game the Russians don't seem to want to release in English. New Horizons also still had some great characters and weapons that we had never ported in before so I grabbed those as well. I reskinned not dozens - but hundreds of weapons, characters and ships - so yes there are a lot of hours on my part in this mod and its very personal. As I've said before - it was my attempt to make a perfect pirate game - for ME.

Why do people e-mail just to say something nasty? I just don't understand that. In my whole military career if someone had something bad to say it was usually in front of everyone and it was usually somewhat valid if they were going to bother to make the point in a public forum.

I guess its true what they say about tons of crazy people being on the internet because I just don't get why people would bother taking the time to email you about how screwed up you and your mod are. That just makes me angry. I think it maybe the same person with different e-mails because they can't spell to save their life. Never thought I would ever get hate mail.

The next one I get I think I will publicly post - that might make them shut the hell up.

MK

Your welcome and its fully understandable that you want the game to be perfect and so does everyone else but the sad fact is, It will never be perfect and that's mostly down to limitations either in the engine or lack of interest from people who know how to mod. You have done your best and will continue to do your best and that's all anyone should ever expect of you. If you was been paid to do this and charging people to download your work then they have every right to be angry if some things doesn't work (but even then its limited in what you say and what the game does). Your doing this for free and a lot of what you have done is what you have had to learn as you went along and over time trial and error has been the way you have learned as have we all, seriously don't take any notice of someone or anyone who can't first post publicly and secondly can't post a constructive message pointing out things that could do with some tweaking or bugs they have encountered.

As for emails, do what I do and that is delete them without ever reading them. To be honest I have 3 email accounts and 1 is for signing up to forums and the other is my main one with another account for private use like talking with family etc. Any I personally have never had any the mail from anyone and if I did receive any I would simply delete it never knowing what it says. Mots of the time when I open my signup email (the one for signing up to sites) I go in and look over everything and then delete it all.

We're only human, perfection isn't in our blood. We try to be perfect at everything we do and most of the time we fail at the simplest of things when doing it that way. 10 second tasks become 5 minute jobs and so on, seriously take note of them and ignore them you will be a better person for it. You have done an amazing job from what I have seen and read (haven't tried the mod yet, but I know of your abilities and have faith in them). After releasing any mod or mod I had been working with others on I would sit back and read the comments as seeing people post about how much fun they have had was what made it all worth doing. Expect someone to have problems, we all know COAS can be very temperamental on systems (nothing you or I or anyone for that matter can do about that) its just the way it goes. We can only give advice on how best to install the mod and hope that people get to play it.

Your welcome and its fully understandable that you want the game to be perfect and so does everyone else but the sad fact is, It will never be perfect and that's mostly down to limitations either in the engine or lack of interest from people who know how to mod. You have done your best and will continue to do your best and that's all anyone should ever expect of you. If you was been paid to do this and charging people to download your work then they have every right to be angry if some things doesn't work (but even then its limited in what you say and what the game does). Your doing this for free and a lot of what you have done is what you have had to learn as you went along and over time trial and error has been the way you have learned as have we all, seriously don't take any notice of someone or anyone who can't first post publicly and secondly can't post a constructive message pointing out things that could do with some tweaking or bugs they have encountered.

As for emails, do what I do and that is delete them without ever reading them. To be honest I have 3 email accounts and 1 is for signing up to forums and the other is my main one with another account for private use like talking with family etc. Any I personally have never had any the mail from anyone and if I did receive any I would simply delete it never knowing what it says. Mots of the time when I open my signup email (the one for signing up to sites) I go in and look over everything and then delete it all.

We're only human, perfection isn't in our blood. We try to be perfect at everything we do and most of the time we fail at the simplest of things when doing it that way. 10 second tasks become 5 minute jobs and so on, seriously take note of them and ignore them you will be a better person for it. You have done an amazing job from what I have seen and read (haven't tried the mod yet, but I know of your abilities and have faith in them). After releasing any mod or mod I had been working with others on I would sit back and read the comments as seeing people post about how much fun they have had was what made it all worth doing. Expect someone to have problems, we all know COAS can be very temperamental on systems (nothing you or I or anyone for that matter can do about that) its just the way it goes. We can only give advice on how best to install the mod and hope that people get to play it.

OH Geez, ive got a problem! As i posted earlier today i started downloading the mod, and now when it was at 98% the download failed -_- And i cant redownload the mod, from the given link it seems broken. May that be the reason why my download failed, and if so may it be possible to provide different links from where to download?

Hey bud

I downloaded the mod earlier today and it was fine for me. Maybe it timed out on you or something. I think it would be best to add this mod to the FTP for a secondary link because it is a huge mod and I can't see how it can be made smaller without splitting it up into parts of 3GB's or so.

Well, I finally got around to installing this latest version. All went well until it was almost finished and then it said it could not find the ERAS2 readme and aborted. :facepalm

EDIT 2 hrs later: This mod installer does not work right. I installed it manually and got the game running, sailed away on my first trade mission and got as far as the merchant store. Went in and got the loading screen and then it went black. No sound either. Did it twice with the same results.

E2: In the older install I thought that the boarding was broken in that once the fighting is done you are stuck there and can not go further.
This is not strictly true. When the last opponent falls an open lock appears in the top right of the screen and stays there for a few seconds. If you hit the space bar in this time you can continue, but if you wait too long it disappears and you are stuck. This happens on every deck so any looting results in you getting stuck.

It would be nice if this could be fixed.

Last edited:
Well, I finally got around to installing this latest version. All went well until it was almost finished and then it said it could not find the ERAS2 readme and aborted. :facepalm
Can you check the exact name of the ReadMe file in your main game folder?

It doesn't actually make a difference just yet, because it only checks for the update files. But there are not yet any update files.

EDIT 2 hrs later: This mod installer does not work right. I installed it manually and got the game running, sailed away on my first trade mission and got as far as the merchant store. Went in and got the loading screen and then it went black. No sound either. Did it twice with the same results.

E2: In the older install I thought that the boarding was broken in that once the fighting is done you are stuck there and can not go further.
This is not strictly true. When the last opponent falls an open lock appears in the top right of the screen and stays there for a few seconds. If you hit the space bar in this time you can continue, but if you wait too long it disappears and you are stuck. This happens on every deck so any looting results in you getting stuck.

It would be nice if this could be fixed.

Well I am still around for a few more hours. Hylie, the boarding issues are completely fixed in this version. However the store problem is another issue altogether. These two issues are unrelated. Can you please tell me which store in what town?

MK

Well I am still around for a few more hours. Hylie, the boarding issues are completely fixed in this version. However the store problem is another issue altogether. These two issues are unrelated. Can you please tell me which store in what town?

MK
Store in Marigot have this bug in particular

Last edited by a moderator:
MK, Also installed and got the same error as Hyle. Had the blackscreen come up after the loading screen in the Antigua store and also the Nevis Tavern. Entered and the screen was black, no sound. All I could really see was where the clock was that gave the in game time. I will play around some more today and see if there are any other locations where this happens.

tumO, I'm curious, does the Marigot store use the same store as Antigua?

Last edited:
tcmbmnc, try to replace files in this folder
C:\Games\Age of Pirates 2\RESOURCE\MODELS\Locations\Inside\store03

I copied the readme from the old game and it is GOF Eras2 Readme.txt.

I don't remember the first store I got the black screen, but the 2nd one was Marigot.

Tried to copy the files for the inside location (did all 4 stores and the tavern since that was my other black screen, did not seem to work. I have started a new game to see if that makes a difference, will try again later today. Overall, i am loving the mod.

This is odd to me. Obviously my game doesn't have this problem. You've found the solution already is in the RESOURCE/MODEL file.

The interesting thing is that I tried to make the mod as small as I possibly could and cut out things that are no different from the original.

I forgot that OP changed a bunch of the town locations to accept different textures. I think that must be it. I should have included all location models in the DL.

That does make some sense to me also in that I didn't put a lot of the locations textures in also. So there would be mismatches between the location models and the textures since OP made other interior textures for GOF and moved them around so that there would be some variety at different locations instead of them all looking alike. So the taverns with the reddish interiors probably aren't showing up now I would guess.

It also makes me wonder if something was left out of the folder altogether during the merge process.

The next DL I make will have all the location models and textures back in.

Sorry for the problems. I still have the original DL and UpdateV2 ready to make available again. Its just a matter of changing their status on mediafire and posting new links. If too many people have problems I can make them available again. This new version did fix a few more things and add some more new ship skin textures, but unfortunately sounds like its defective.

MK

Tried to copy the files for the inside location (did all 4 stores and the tavern since that was my other black screen, did not seem to work. I have started a new game to see if that makes a difference, will try again later today. Overall, i am loving the mod.
Strange. I had effect without starting new game. Honestly I removed old files first before copy.

I have posted what I think will fix this black location problem to the first post.

I have also posted the vanilla stock camera conversion files in a link for those that don't like the current camera settings. The stock settings always seemed way too claustrophobic which is why I tweaked things the way I did.

MK

Deleting and overwriting did not work. Downloading the updated fix. Thanks MN, I'll let you know if I run into any more glitches. For some reason, i really wanted to get back into the old pirate game again, its been awhile since I have been here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back