• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release GOF Historical Eras Module #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahoy Mk, been a while mate. I have a couple of issues with what you have posted above, and just wanted to clear a couple of things up. First of all, I did not leave PA because of Post Captain, you know full well why I left, I also told you that I would return at some point. I reckon that time is now. I have had disagreements with him, yes, but I have also had disagreements with you and many, many others over the years I have been on PA. I left for my own personal reasons, and do not appreciate you using them to try and push some agenda you may have.

Ellaybe Island, the home of the L.I. B. existed long before PA, in fact, it existed before the original Sea Dogs forum even went online. They did not leave us to form their own community. In fact, without their help, PA would most likely not even exist. We worked with Hosehead, Suraknar and the rest of the fantastic group of modders for many years before the separation that you allude to in your post. I won't go in to the details, but it was a major misunderstanding on both of our parts, The posting of incorrect information as fact had a lot to do with it. I refuse to let you draw them in to an argument that they have no hand in.

We as a community have not abandoned COAS as you like to keep trying to point out. It is true that it is no longer our primary focus, and hasn't been for some time. There are many reasons for this, and you are well aware of all of them. However, since a lot of people, especially new members who might read this are not, I will point a few out. The STORM engine is 15 years old and is approaching the end of it's useful life. The developers stopped even attempting to support it long ago. There are limitations in both the engine, and the DirectX version that it was originally written for, that can not be overcome without a complete rewrite of both. The game it's self has not been available commercially for many years, and was never very widely distributed. There are many more, but I am in no mood to take the time to list them here.

When Hearts of Oak is completed, it will span many eras. As you know, I was very disappointed that the original development will focus on the mid to late 1700's, but it is a starting point, not an end point. Once the engine and code and all the other game structures are in place and functioning, the eras will be expanded to cover earlier time periods. Again, this is something that you are well aware of.

You have done some good work here at PA, and it is appreciated. Many people have helped you along the way, and are still willing to help, but it is of course entirely up to you if you wish to leave PA and start your own site, I wish you nothing but the best.

Ahoy Thagarr! It is good to see you back although one could wish for better circumstances.

Must say. Since I started I've heard much about you Thagarr! Good to finally meet you, but I do wish it had been under better circumstances than these.

This situation is leaving a really bad taste in my mouth now.
It is like PA! history is repeating from so many years ago.

Thagarr is correct in the Storm Engine is reaching the end of its life cycle, but a few more good years can still be squeezed out yet.
This has been proven by the Russian release of POTEHO with its improved Storm Engine 2.8, which fixed performance problems and stability.

We need to continue to help new players of the Storm Engine games as they discover these hidden gems until the release at some point of HoO.
PA! is almost the only place to go for answers and assistance by people that are most the most knowledgable other than a few Russian forums, a couple of US websites, and the Dee Zee Rovers.
By supporting both CoAS and HoO, we continue to support future developments of HoO at the same time.

I support any developer/modder who caters to such a small niche RPG market for pirate games as there are very few that can hold candle to CoAS, and potentially HoO in the long term as its development continues to proceed very well.

Last edited:
Well, we're definitely not done with PotC yet. And I'd quite like modding on CoAS to continue alongside development on Hearts of Oak.
The one does not have to exclude the other. In fact, we have always done things side-by-side here so that everybody can contribute what he/she wants and is able to.

Hylie, thanks mate, it's good to be back home! Congrats on your promotion, it is well deserved! :dance

Luke, thanks for the kind words, and good to meet you as well! I look forward to working with you and the whole HoO team.

TheBlackKnight, I agree mate, the STORM 2.8 was a major engine improvement and really breathed some new life into it. But there are certain things that it just does not do well, and some things that it can't do at all. As I said above, we have not abandoned STORM, there are several people here that still contribute work on it, and still provide support for those who are having problems. Our focus has shifted to creating the game that we all want, but the big game company's refuse to give us!

Pieter, yup, that pretty much sums it up perfectly mate! :onya

below deck2.png below deck1.png below deck.png officers.png start_140327_1226563.JPG

Since it is mentioned, while the description is fine, the item doesn't provide any leadership, as far as I noticed on my game.
no it provides me with 30 leadership so the item is working perfectly but I have got the item several time or seen it but ignored it because its too expensive but when I found it doped form a dead body of a man that I killed I was gonna sell it but noticed that the description was not complete

All,

Another small bug report that I found when doing HD Ship Portrait model extraction.
SHIP_XEBEC_FRANCE causes the game to crash due to inconsistent model errors.
However, in the original ships.init.c is it set to not be included for encounters for direct gameplay so new players should not have issues.
This model was not in GOF 2.0+ or POTEHO and I cannot remember if it was included in GOF 1.1 or 1.2
If this ship model is destined for inclusion in the future patch, the model will have to be reviewed for both model, locator, and walkfile problems that I have not dug into yet.

Inconsistent model errors? That is new to me.

That is my way of saying I have not checked the error log on the model file.
The ship model is "loaded" in game, and can be bought and sold in the shipyard but if you try to go to port the game will immediately crash.
I suspect the ship is missing model files or script data that are not texture related and may not have been completed before being included in MK's mod.
This can happen in different ways for other models that were not meant to be "sailed" such as longboats and jollyboats, which is not the case here.

Ah. There are 5 different Xebecs and I don't know which one it is so can't look into it.

Ah. There are 5 different Xebecs and I don't know which one it is so can't look into it.

Hylie,

Actually there are SEVEN xebecs.
Yes, you could check if desire.
I stated exactly the ship in question, SHIP_XEBEC_FRANCE.

I believe it will be a direct fix, I just don't have the time right now, as I have wanted to finish what I started months ago.
It is the only xebec that is not currently "in game" as the GOF Eras default ship_init.c states.

It is NOT the following ships models:

SHIP_XEBEC
SHIP_BATTLEXEBEC
SHIP_XebecVML
SHIP_XebekVML ( This is the "Blue Bird")
SHIP_XebecLight
SHIP_Hebek

Every other Xebec I have already tested in game with no issues.

Ah, I found it. Or rather I found out why it is crashing your game. It is the schooner xebec from POTC and while it is in the shipsinit.c, ships.h, and shipsutilites.c the ship itself is not in the ships folder although it is in the sailorpoints folder.

So the game goes looking for it, can't find it, and crashes. You might want to skip that one for now or get a pic from POTC.

Wow, I excited. I mean, it just like overhear a rouge [insert-nation] privateer fight for a freedom of his ship and his crews out on the sea versus [insert-nation] officers, right in front of their general-governor, and yes of course, in front of every ships captain and crew-alike :p
But lads, don't fight for the right-to-plunder but fight for the [insert-nation] interests, remember that. Whichever ship sails, it will and must sail for glory. In this case, for PA and CoAS everlasting!!!
I wish for the best of all...

Ah, I found it. Or rather I found out why it is crashing your game. It is the schooner xebec from POTC and while it is in the shipsinit.c, ships.h, and shipsutilites.c the ship itself is not in the ships folder although it is in the sailorpoints folder.

So the game goes looking for it, can't find it, and crashes. You might want to skip that one for now or get a pic from POTC.

Ok, got it, I forgot to check the GOF Eras model folder directly for some reason.
I initially skipped it for the exact reason above.

Which model was supposed to be used from POTC and was it ever converted for use to CoAS?
I have both New Horizons and Eras installed, with GOF 2.0 reference files as well on the side.
I would like to add it back if possible.

The basic ship portrait is really low resolution and is not suitable for the HD upgrade.
I just want to get all the ships finished.

Wow, I excited. I mean, it just like overhear a rouge [insert-nation] privateer fight for a freedom of his ship and his crews out on the sea versus [insert-nation] officers, right in front of their general-governor, and yes of course, in front of every ships captain and crew-alike :p
But lads, don't fight for the right-to-plunder but fight for the [insert-nation] interests, remember that. Whichever ship sails, it will and must sail for glory. In this case, for PA and CoAS everlasting!!!
I wish for the best of all...

Huzzah!

Hello,

Quick question about the sail rigging inBermuda, there is no emblem anymore unlike vanilla game? I can change the color but not the emblem, seems the tga files are missing.

Regards

Ok, got it, I forgot to check the GOF Eras model folder directly for some reason.
I initially skipped it for the exact reason above.

Which model was supposed to be used from POTC and was it ever converted for use to CoAS?
I have both New Horizons and Eras installed, with GOF 2.0 reference files as well on the side.
I would like to add it back if possible.

The basic ship portrait is really low resolution and is not suitable for the HD upgrade.
I just want to get all the ships finished.

Other ships that I have replaced with their POTC counterpart only needed their GMs to be renamed to work. I can do that in a bit but am not sure how to test it.

MK says that xebec ship was never meant to be included. He says its a fantasiey ship and he just forgot to code it out completely and that it shouldnt show up in game anyway.

he says hes coding out the color sails completely too. Hes working on it a lot right now. Hes putting in islands and they show up on the map! http://www.moddb.com/members/modernknight1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back