• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release GOF Historical Eras Module #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am still not actualy playing the game because i have to choose which ships im going to keep and which one to remove because the design difference is still too strong and some ships appear way too modern compared to majority of other for instance

the 96 english first rate
that order secondo, cant realy be sure now but i remebered it looked prety modern
the english 64 gunner also looks way too 1700's
maybe that english 5th rater also

So i dont know yet which ships to remove ...i wish for a game that feels like 1650-1680s since that was your intention, and you built the uniforms and items around that time and mayority of ships are from that period and seeing those ships ( and too often ) ruins the experience for me now...

Jokash, This shouldn't be a surprise to you man. :shrugI have openly advertised since the mod's beginnings that it was the ENTIRE Golden Age era. It even says on every title screen (1648-1725). SO I will say it again 1725 is is the ending year. Look at my characters and their write ups. There are a whole bunch of em that were active in those final years of the period. The ships you mention that you don't like are within my time period. The English 1st rate is the Trinity and is from around 1700 so in the time of William and Mary. That IS my time period.

If I knew how to make the game more selectable by period specific decades - (like POTC New Horizons) I would - but I don't, so I had to encapsulate the entire era. I can't believe that there's folks out there that are even more purist than me!

It is not that easy to just eliminate ships because they are tied-in thru many different files and it's time consuming to completely pull them out by the roots. The best thing is some minor edits to ensure the ones you don't like don't appear - or at least rarely appear.

So maybe what I will do as part of future options is to come up with several different ships_init files that are tailored by decade (ex. 1648-1660, 1660-1680, 1680-1700, 1700-1725) for the player that only wants that specific timeframe. I can easily do this for patch1. You simply drop the one in the game that you want. Default would be how it is right now with the ships of the entire Golden Age period.

If you want to edit the ships_init file yourself, the best way is to find the ships you want to leave out then simply find the "refship" line that says "merchant" and "war" and set them both to false. If there is a line that says "refship canencounter" set it to false. If it is not there, then add it in by finding where its entered on another ship (just do a search). Last on the bottom of the entry there is a nationality option block of code that Pieter helped me add. You will see that every nation that can have that particular ship will be set to "1". Just make certain that all entries are set to zero for each country.

Between all these things combined that ship will not show up in your game except possibly in bounty hunter encounters or as the ship of encountered NPC captains.

I'm sorry you don't like the mod. I guess you can't make everyone happy and I for one think that the ships of the first decades of the 18th century live quite nicely alongside the earlier ships. In fact I think you would have seen the earlier ships still quite common in the year 1715 or so. Ships usually had long lives according to all the research and reading I've done.

Good luck,

MK

Last edited:
Thanks, it appears I still have a lot to learn as I don't know what difficulty level I'm playing at. All I know is that the save option is greyed out everywhere but in church.

For some reason it wouldn't let me post this yesterday but:

It sounds like you checked the "Hardcore game" option below the "Auto reload pistols" option in the game settings when you start a new game.
As for the difficulty levels there are 10, starting from Sailor to Impossible. Captain is the 5th and Corsair is the 6th.

Finally got some hd space cleared up and got everything installed and working nicely :) thanks again for the great new content loving it so far. So many great new characters and ships and items :D

Two things though:
1. Having the same thing Hylie mentioned with the wide angle fisheye camera in third person ship view. I've gotten used to it for the most part but it's odd :p
2. In third person ship combat my cannons don't seem to be firing properly. I can go to first person sailing and they'll work fine. I know i'm in range but they just don't seem to fire on que, sometimes they work when really close but otherwise not. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Having not cleaned the main floder from unnecessary files happens to me quite often in a few games modding. I wouldn't worry about that. If it's 22Gb let it be. The end result is way more important. Just give the suckers what to play and that's it :p

4) I downloaded Beta 2 and update and I'm using JonesSoft Generic Mod Enabler install these.
Uh? Exactly what Beta 2 did you download? That sounds like a PotC modpack naming convention. That won't work on CoAS.

@modernknight,
Dont worry about it...the mod is great but i just have to reshufle the ships a bit and remove some that arent to my tastets (like that carrack and similiar models i dont know why you even bothered with those models they look like they came from 1999 video game ...first sea dogs hehehe) I know how to remove the ships through init files now i just have too see what models are ingame and for which nations.
I do have one question though...when did flush decking started to appear on ships and hulls begining to look straight and without that raised forecastle and quarterdeck ?So i can maybe limit my timeline to the first flushdeck ship and remove those...ah man cant wait for the late era mod :)

Loving this MOD!

Attention to details make a difference in immersion. Between the sounds, sky, sea and wave break along shoreline the overall effect is superb.

I notice that the bracket key "]" will change the time of day sky wise and/or weather. Should that do that?

Not so much a question on the MOD but the game. What's worse, being all alone on your ship or crew aimlessly pacing back and forth. I think for the smaller vessels I rather be alone. Anyway to change this inside or outside the game?

many thanks for eras module, that is a very good work.

I downloaded it and now I am playing ship of souls quest. But there is a big problem. When I go to see white boy in pearl village, there is no one except spanish officer in village. he is in the first house at right side but that is all. ( A watchman saw me outside the village and said me '' you can enter village''. so I went there in a legal way :) ). I did the same things in COAS so far but now I don't know what to do. I think this quest is broken.

please help me!

Great tutorial on the fighting style there MK!

I cannot wait to ssink my teeth into this mod when I get home! :)

Alas... It will have to wait one more week...

This pesky honeymoon is interfering with my game time.... :p

Nah... Just joking of course... We are having a wonderful time :)

Congratulations on your mod release!! :-D

I don't know if hardcore is checked. Is the only way to verify it to start a new game? I haven't gotten far so it is no loss if I do start another game.

F6 does not work. It gives a message about only saving in church.

EDIT: I started a new game and made sure hardcore was unchecked, and now it seems I can save anytime. Rack it up to a rookie mistake.

Last edited:
I don't know if hardcore is checked. Is the only way to verify it to start a new game? I haven't gotten far so it is no loss if I do start another game.

F6 does not work. It gives a message about only saving in church.

@Hylie, I am afraid so. There's no way to go back to the player selection interface after you've made your character selection. Just try starting a new game with a new character and with a new game name to see if that was the issue.

@jokash. Flush decks are not the best way to determine period. There were experiments with flush deck ships as early as Elizabethan times. In the 1590s/to around 1610 the English experimented with a kind of small cut down "galley" that had galleon lines. It was flushdeck except all the way to the stern which had just a very slight rising rake. It had oars(sweeps) but was galleon rigged and was known to be extremely fast. Very graceful. They called it a......"fregatte" LOL

You should look at sail plan and rig as much as shape when making these determinations. The French had lots of cut down experiments in ship design that had shapes which look much later during the 1690s. Even though the Raa is actually Danish she is from that timeframe and built in imitation of French practices at the time. Yet notice the very 17th century transom and the lateen rigged mizzen. You may not like the way some of the ships look but I was very selective.

I love carracks....that's all I have to say. There is very good evidence that Naos and carrack style vessels were still being built in Basque country and some Biscay ports as late as 1610-20. Those ship known to have very long lifespans (look up Jesus of Lubeck) I think its safe to have still seen them in Spanish colonial ports late into the 17th century. I have a painting of the harbor of Seville from about 1660 which shows the late style Spanish galleon with a huge Flemish influence and moored at the docks close by are a couple old carracks.

I am really looking forward to finishing GOF Eras Module1. By then hopefully I will have learned how to properly make towns all Spanish with only one colony for other nations to begin with. This will require me rewriting the questlines which I am not good at yet.

@ Flannery. Congratulations mate! You sound like a man after my own heart. Thanks for the kind words on the tutorial. I will make that its own topic and add my video.

@Harmsway: Yes the brackets are supposed to do that specifically so you can tailor the atmosphere. Its a great feature if you want to take screenshots. Also if you don't like crew wandering around on the little ships simply find the SAILORPOINTS folder. If you open RESOURCE\MODELS\ships\SAILORSPOINTS folder - find the file belonging to the ship which you don't want sailors walking about, and delete that file - No more sailors on that ship.

@tttt5561, I am traveling. I will check the quest when I get to my destination. Let me ask has your ship been sunk yet? You can't even find whiteboy until you've been sunk at least once.

Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement.

MK

Last edited:
How were the floating flags above ships removed ? It's not checked in the options menu.

It's not an option. Its a bug. I list it very prominently in the opening post of this thread and the "Readme" file as a bug. I am trying to fix it.

I think I will have it fixed for Patch1 to be released Christmas timeframe. I am experimenting with a bunch of different flag and particle files from many various Russian mods. The reason for this is the newer PO:TEHO ships - of which I had to use some of their existing code files to get them working(and they use pennants and multiple different flags on individual ships like the Build mods). This is the reason why many of the ships only have one flag flying.

Their engine file has a lot more to it and their ships and masts have MANY more smaller submodels which fracture and come apart during gameplay which is another reason I hope they release PO:TEHO in English soon. I really want to play it.

MK

Never mind, great work ! And the music is very well chosen. I wish I knew which game PO:TEHO is.

yes the brackets are supposed to do that specifically so you can tailor the atmosphere. Its a great feature if you want to take screenshots. Also if you don't like crew wandering around on the little ships simply find the SAILORPOINTS folder. If you open RESOURCE\MODELS\ships\SAILORSPOINTS folder - find the file belonging to the ship which you don't want sailors walking about, and delete that file - No more sailors on that ship.

Thanks so much, that's the answer I was hoping for.

I just got done with a sea battle and noticed that the sound effects for cannon fire and ball splashes are absent unless viewed through the spyglass. I remember this issue with the game unmodded. Any fix for this?

Edit: Seems like the background sea sounds is what you should here in 3rd person ship and ship sounds while 1st person on board. But instead all I hear is sea sounds while in 1st person unless the spy glass is used. Only then do I hear the sails flapping, ropes stretching and bells. I believe the sounds and the views are switched up.

Harmsway

Last edited:
So I just wanted to mention that just because you see a late era ship in the menu scene when you start a game or after you die and restart a game doesn't mean you will ever see that ship in the game. I kept most of the ships of GOF intact for further mod development on later period mods, so they are sometimes generated in the menu scene.

Also I have received enough requests that I will make the mod smaller over the holidays and will put out a torrent version. The only reason I'm going to this trouble is because of the shear numbers of people downloading. I never expected the mod to have this kind of popularity. Quite frankly I made this mod for me and am just sharing.

MK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back