• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release GOF Historical Eras Module #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey MK, playing the game. Love what you've done with CoAS. I have one little problem, if you start a new game after applying your scene fix, your starter ship, unless it was one of the special high end ships, is the {Null} Frigate. Which isnt a bad ship, being a 34 gun frig, just that you cant pilot it properly and it has some fugly textures. Game plays fine after that though, great even if I may say so.

Id just like to add how "right" the ships all look together for the time period.

Heya! I just started downloading and I can't wait to play this!
But, is there torrent for this module? My download was already interrupted two times (at 3.4 GB). Torrent would be very useful.
And... what else... well, I'll report any bugs I find, but after I check for solutions :p
That's all, have fun :D

Grrr, download disrupted again, now at 4,9 GB. I really need torrent xD

Last edited:
So i'd like to report some bugs or gliches you might say. While playing sometimes i get some frustrating texture pop outs, or you might say some creppy lines on my screen. It happens in a non sequent time and its random: sometimes on ship, sometimes on land, in battle, jungle, basicaly everywhere.
And another thing when i fire my cannons in first person mannually i get an error message, ill include screens as soon as i get home.

Here are the screens; thats the error message im getting, and its happening while im fiering my cannons mannually to.

Attachments

• start 2013-12-14 13-11-17-53.jpg
    start 2013-12-14 13-11-17-53.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 141
  • start 2013-12-14 13-11-21-14.jpg
    start 2013-12-14 13-11-21-14.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 137
  • start 2013-12-14 13-19-46-06.jpg
    start 2013-12-14 13-19-46-06.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 139
  • start 2013-12-14 14-46-45-30.jpg
    start 2013-12-14 14-46-45-30.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 174
  • start 2013-12-14 14-46-48-86.jpg
    start 2013-12-14 14-46-48-86.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 131
I can't say anything about the first two screenies as I never see that.

I also do not know what the error message means.

The last two screenies show the infamous Graphic Anomalies from POTC. I have seen them in ERAS too during battles. I have no ideer what the GA is doing in ERAS, but it is a rare occurrence for me.

All,

Just a question regarding ship category descriptions names found in the common.ini file located in resource/INI/texts/russian.
I added back most of the GOF ships that were commented out in the shiputilties.c (sorry MK, I like some of the old ships that were not in period) before I started a new game as I like more variety.

I am fixing some of the left out ship types and even quest ships that were left out during development of the original GOF mod that was ported to eras and I noticed an anomaly.
If a ship name does not start with an alphabetic letter for example 32GunFrigate the common.ini will not recognize the ship and use NULL for the type in game.
Specifically these lines for example:

string = BrigSW,"Heavy Brig"
string = BrigSWGen,"Heavy Brig"
string = BrigSWAcc,"Heavy Brig"
string = BrigSWDat,"Heavy Brig"

Does anyone know a fix for this anomaly?
Every other ship works perfectly and ship descriptions work fine as well.

NOTE: I added an ACTUAL description for the Sea Wolf (in shipsdesribe.txt), which I thought I would share, because its a bit humorous and fun and I sometimes become obsessive compulsive in fixing things......

"A highly advanced 24 gun Brig created by the master shipbuilder in Bermuda and true work of art and testament of his skills. Originally named the Jackdaw by its creator, it was rechristianed the Sea Wolf after the ship was presented to its owner, Jackman, the pirate lord of Bermuda.
The ship was later stolen by the pirate, Edward Low, but eventually recovered and returned. The Sea Wolf is rumored to be the fastest ship in the Caribbean and outclasses all fourth rate ships that are equal in size and weight. Armament is substantial with an outfitting of 24 32 caliber culverins. "

Hi, MK and other Modders, it is the first time I am playing this game, I learned the main paces of the development of the COAS mods, read the whole thread and I am really impressed by the work you have done, so I decided to register here just to be able to thank you!!! =) Tomorrow I will go to buy an external HDD just to extract your Mod (21 Gb that come from your 5.2 Gb 7z archive... wow!)

It's a WIP and still needs loads of refinements. Im still to find how to sign articles with crew? It can be too much of a challenge for beginners(iam not)so start with all the difficulties off and tweaked to ur level of play. It must be great when another era is created for the MOD and more countries can be encountered or used. Keep it up if i can help,let me know?

As far as I can tell you are not able to sign articles in COAS unlike POTC. I miss the Tailor's shop feature from POTC.
It seems that looting dead crew is not really an option if you do the lock icon will disappear and you cannot take over the ship.
I also get the really annoying infamous Graphic Anomalies from POTC.
Amazing ship textures in this Eras Mod.

So to answer some questions randomly....

The GA is because I am using some PO:TEHO code files and ships. I am trying to develop the ability to use multiple flags like in POTC new horizons. The reason it happens is because a ship is dismasted somewhere. It could be one of yours or someone elses - it could be one on the other side of an island you can't see that got too close to some cliffs. When it occurs on land it is probably because one of yours is dismasted. Go to the shipwright and fix your masts and it will go away.

@Lindley I will make Edward England even though he's a small timer he's a good one. Also if you can't loot corpses on ships or not able to transition to the cabin its because you are not using the updated LAi_boarding file that I have provided at the end of the first post. Put that file in your game and start a new game and you will have no further problems with that.

@TheBlackKnight Mate I don't care what you add to your own game. Part of the fun of modding is to make it how you want to - tailoring it to your own tastes. Knock yourself out brother. :onya

@Handority Good catch Mate thank you. I didn't mean for that ugly corvette frigate to be the first ship. It was a horrible Russian experiment in fragmenting cabins that I decided to clean up and give to the French as a rare ship. I was testing it and that's why it ended up in the RPGcharacters file. I will change it out for patch1. That was not meant to be a starting ship. And you're right the textures are very fugly but you should have seen how ugly it was before I massaged it a little.

The shore issue is because I modified the foam textures and ranges in my attempt to bring waves into harbors. This experiment is still ongoing so you may not see those in future releases.

Still working on the quest patch. It probably won't be done until the end of the week.

Glad everyone is enjoying the mod and as Dylan said it is still a work in progress. I would recommend not doing main questlines until I finish the patch, but freeplay in this game still allows for almost endless fun.

MK

Not really i'll have a look at the crew issue. There must be some leeway or some coding to allow signing articles and get around without cheating from paying enormous salaries,makes game very diificult and having to spend lots of time in other activities and not quests,to pay their wages lol!!

The PBS/Channel 4 UK and Dutch Tv public docufilm on which the MOD is partly based. Most recommended.Note parts inspire the mod and the video at the beginning of it and some of the characters are actually choosable in MOD. Part 1
Part 2

There is Edward England's info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_England very little and osbcure,its not clear if he was English or Irish or mixed. He was not a Caribbean pirate. This is his for a time Captain also and more notorious pirate Charles Vane that did for some time take to the American coast. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Vane * http://crossandcutlass.blogspot.com/2009/02/charles-vane-charles-towne-pirate.html

Edward Seegar changed his name ironically to England to hide the fact he had been an officer on a Jamaican sloop.
I believe he was born near Carlow in Ireland date unknown so he was definitely Irish.He was a fairly successful pirate but too merciful for his crews liking.

Captain Johnson in his book A General History of Pirates described one of the men marooned with England as "a man with a terrible pair of whiskers and a wooden leg, being stuck round with pistols,". This man had boldly risen up in defense of Captain Macrae's life, and some say he was the inspiration for Long John Silver in Treasure Island.

Last edited:
His wiki entry needs to be updated as its scant and not too good. I know he attacked slaver ships,did he let them loose afterwards or something?? No idea if he was an anglo Irish or of another descent but it was common for Irishmen to sail with the Royal Navy or Merchant Navy as Ireland was considered a dominion and part of England for Naval sake of that period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back