• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release GOF Historical Eras Module #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing that usually energizes me from these burnout spells is usually something new shared or released to our community - like a new ship... but it doesn't seem like anyone is doing anything these days, so I may be gone a while...
The Storm games do seem to be experiencing a quiet spell, so I can see your point there.

However, we're making good progress on Hearts of Oak now, especially with the help of @Captain Murphy. You can watch his developer videos here.
As for ships, you can always see what's going on in this forum. Most recently, someone turned up and showed us his incredible WIP model of HM Bark Endeavour.

All this is just to inform you of how we're getting on, in case you haven't been following Hearts of Oak.
That said, if you're reaching burnout point, then I absolutely agree that you should take a break. It would be for the best. :onya

MK,

Well I appreciate your hard work and the updates.
I will certainly update the quest line functionality list post.

My offer is still open, when you need the help.
As I stated, I know what effort that is required to build a mod this size.
I have done work on other released mods on MODDB.

Before MK took off he showed me where to find the problems with the Flying Dutchman quest since I was the one that said it was Ok but didn't test it with all the way with the right version of the mod. He told me what to do and I'm getty ing better at fixing stuff in the game. I don't love the game as much as him does but its one of my favorites too. Anyway I just wanted to tell everybody that I think Ive fixed the quest with the right characters in the villages again but not meessing up MKs new characters. Since I can;t tell him right now I wanted to let everyone know. Im going to play through the quest today with a new character to make sure Ive done it right.

Before MK took off he showed me where to find the problems with the Flying Dutchman quest since I was the one that said it was Ok but didn't test it with all the way with the right version of the mod. He told me what to do and I'm getty ing better at fixing stuff in the game. I don't love the game as much as him does but its one of my favorites too. Anyway I just wanted to tell everybody that I think Ive fixed the quest with the right characters in the villages again but not meessing up MKs new characters. Since I can;t tell him right now I wanted to let everyone know. Im going to play through the quest today with a new character to make sure Ive done it right.

Kipper,

Good to see a few other people are still cranking away at this mod.

Let me know if you have found a correction for the other serious error in the CoAS questline.
I have not found a way to properly modify the hurricane storm for the Diffindur swim at the end of the quest.
No matter what method I have used (which worked in the storm modeling before) seems to correct this error.
This is related to the Storm 2.8 engine and Windows 7.
What does not make sense is the recoded storm files all do work correctly EXCEPT this particular storm.......

Last edited:
Well I have some problems when doing cave/dungeon quest, killing skeleton for the spanish priests. Problem to get an update when going through the light. Cartagena and Santa Catalina Maybie I did them to close up to another quest (Austin quest) Maybie I was too quick for the game. I went to Austin in the pearl divers. But there where no Austin, but I finished the priest quest in the cave on the the way, to him, headed back to the priest , and got my blessing.

Last edited:
Well I have some problems when doing cave/dungeon quest, killing skeleton for the spanish priests. Problem to get an update when going through the light. Cartagena and Santa Catalina Maybie I did them to close up to another quest (Austin quest) Maybie I was too quick for the game. I went to Austin in the pearl divers. But there where no Austin, but I finished the priest quest in the cave on the the way, to him, headed back to the priest , and got my blessing.

Belzburg,

It seems you are confusing different quests into one.
Austin quest has nothing to do with priests, and the "undead light" is very specific in this quest to a specific location unlike other caves in its positioning overall, well its unique.
There is NO priest quest in this cave, as its not anywhere close to a town and never will be given for this location.

Additionally, you may not know this but there are TWO Pearl Diver Villages in the game not just ONE, one in the north and one in the south near San Juan del Norte.
The village in the north is tied to the Ship of Souls and Sharp's Spy quests.
The one in the south is tied to Austin quest.

The only way you will know this is if you have a Map of Santa Catalina and the text from the FINAL robber.
Plus, if you have not encountered all SIX robbers in the various locations around the map and actually discovered the location of Austin and searched every house in this village (he is only in one specific wooden house), he will not even appear.
The "light" will not block the exit either in the cave before you get to him.
This quest is completely functional (and has been in nearly every mod), albeit this is one of those very obscure, difficult quests that provides no clues or updates.
Most never see the end of this quest in game, either because they give up or do not know there is more to the quest line.

This reminds me of humor of watching "One F Jef" on Youtube playing AoP2 and trying to defeat Edward Low (Pirate Quest Line #4), and giving up after multiple attempts because the quest is "just too hard". Yep, this is another hard quest, especially at lower levels if you have no fighter companions, cannot follow vague clues, and ultimately a very small crew during the final battle.
Good keyboard banging memories when this game came out five years ago.

This game can be very unforgiving and completely unbalanced at times regardless of which mod you play, in some ways just like the real world.

Last edited:
The BlackKnight

Ok I know what you mean , but since I got no responce in the normal cave, I took a trip to Austin instead, and when I entered this special cave, I had to kill all the skeletons to be able to come out of the cave again. And Austin was not to bee seen in his house. I have had many fights with Austin during different mods, and I think I`ll wait till untill the updates are finished. Very enjoyable game, this is.

Fixed! Flying Duthchman quest works now... one less thing MK needs to do now when he gets back...

Kipper,

Would you mind posted the quest line file or send me a conversation message?
I would like to see what you did, as I had not worked this one, because I have been busy with other events in life.
My assumption is that there was more involved than just model verification.

The same work may be required of the "Invasion of Panama" Morgan pirate quest line.

EDIT: Did the final test of "Invasion of Panama" no issues, models replaced work fine, quest in functional. See related post on current quest MOD functionality.

Last edited:
OK blaknight give me a day or two and I will put the new files on here. MK told me not to put anthing up but he said when he left he wasn't coming back till the snow melted so that might be a while so I don't think hell be mad if I give them to you...

I just encountered a problem in a boarding battle. The battle went well with the RAA frigate charging in and then stopping, which allowed me to board her. The fight went reasonably well until we killed the last crewman. Then I could get no farther.
I could and did loot corpses but could not advance to the next fight or menu. I was stuck. In my attempts to get it going I managed to crash the game, and no I did not save before the battle started.

Is there a button to push that can get one past this point?

EDIT: I found a way out of this dilemma. Do not loot any corpses! I managed to capture that ship after dieing 15 dozen times and continued on my way, then got intercepted again! That one was a little schooner and was easily captured. Is there a way to transfer crew from ship to ship?

Last edited:
I just encountered a problem in a boarding battle. The battle went well with the RAA frigate charging in and then stopping, which allowed me to board her. The fight went reasonably well until we killed the last crewman. Then I could get no farther.
I could and did loot corpses but could not advance to the next fight or menu. I was stuck. In my attempts to get it going I managed to crash the game, and no I did not save before the battle started.

Is there a button to push that can get one past this point?

EDIT: I found a way out of this dilemma. Do not loot any corpses! I managed to capture that ship after dieing 15 dozen times and continued on my way, then got intercepted again! That one was a little schooner and was easily captured. Is there a way to transfer crew from ship to ship?

Hylie,

I think this was a random crash error, sort of like the demast bug that causes havoc.

You can loot as many corpses and "doors" as you want before advancing.
Yes, the advance button will disappear if you loot corpses after a boarding action.

Just press the LEFT MOUSE BUTTON instead of hitting enter key to continue.
This is important for some sea battles where you need to get items from captains' cabins so you don't have to rush around.
This was an action not well documented in the instructions of the game.

I discovered the left mouse button by accident but never tried it after looting corpses. Now that I know the game auto saves before a boarding, I might try it next time.

Try the 2nd link at the top of the 1st post in this thread. The one that ends in 7z. That one works for me.

Nice work KIpper. ill be coming down in a couple days and have a look. having a blast. 94 inch base at Targhee. MK

I just discovered and hopefully fixed a mistake I made a long time ago on the yacht1. :pirate07:

MK had me mod it for him and it looked good in POTC and GOF2.
Anyhoo just this evening I saw the yacht1 for the first time in ERAS and something was wrong with the lateen. :facepalm An investigation found that there is a tga file in POTC that is not in ERAS, blnk.tga.tx, and that was the problem. So I dumped it into the yacht1 hull1,2,3 folders. For all I know it only needs to be in the ships textures folder. The yacht1 is a rare ship and I don't know how long it will be before I see it again so here are the hull1,2,3 folders for it.

They go in ERAS-->resource-->textures-->ships-->yacht1 and replace the current hull1,2,3 folders.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gpalg0tpyyfcivy/i2-2hJFCzX/COAS stuff/ERAS ships/yacht1 lateen fix.7z

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back