• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release GOF Historical Eras Module #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that one little texture seems to have fixed it.
start 2014-02-08 20-01-48-61.jpg start 2014-02-11 11-27-44-51.jpg

With PA! now no longer supporting the Storm games and their shift of focus on Hoo alone, I have decided to step away permanently. No further mods or patches will be forthcoming from me.

For any modders interested in continuing with Eras, feel free to use the content however you wish. Its yours.

The link will stay up for as long as my paid account is good. Once it expires that will be the end of it unless someone wishes to do something else with it.

Have fun. For those that have been such great support and friends to me over time good luck and may I see you in the sunset sometime over that distant horizon.

MK signing off.

:ship:sail:pflag

Yeah. I have a big enough Drop Box for all of the ERAS stuff for 1 1/2 years, but after that...... :walkplank

I knew that mk would not fullfill his promises once more and finally. Too bad, cause he could have done good, if He would have brought IT to an end. Now IT is just one more buggy mod and one more empty promise. To be honest: I dislike it very much

Good job!!! mk just killed the links cause of your comment. I told him you were just one person but he says your tipical of pirates ahoy population...He says piratehs ahoy let him down way worse than he let you down and that they lost focus becaus they would rather focus on something that doesnt exist instead of real games that can be enjoyed right now....he just left....i didnt even get to play chess with him. he was supposed to stay the whole day. thanks a lot....he says that anyone that wants to play eras should play hearts of oak now...me and my family think he is one of the greatest people we know and he has never broke a promise to us....the only reason i started playing this game and learned about computers is cause of him...I think the mod is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The characters are so awesome!!!!! but if this has made him so unhappy than I am through with pirates ahay also...bye

That's enough drama from both sides.

MK, we appreciate what you have done, but if you say you are going to leave, just do it. We don't want or need any more conflict here.

There will be no more insulting MK's work, and no more insulting the PA community in this thread, or any other thread linked to the Eras mod.

MK worked on ERAS for years and put a huge amount of content into it. This is the best version of COAS there is. No it is not finished and it probably will not ever be finished. I hope others can continue working on ERAS.

Ya know, I have been trying to move from POTC to COAS for some time. I worked with Luke 159 until he left, then quit playing GOF. With MK gone I'm wondering how long The Black Knight will stay around here. Maybe I should go back to POTC.

Well it seems I've decided to sign aboard at a bad time. The departure of MK is not the best of news to hear as a new member who was excited to hear about Era Mod2. I've been a long time user of the much older GoF 1.2 patch, which I absolutely adored and I never expected that so much more had been done with the project. So to walk into this is, well, discouraging to say the least.

With the unpleasantness aside, I do have a question/request as a result of the current situation.

Does anyone have or is willing to mirror MKs Stock Vanilla Camera View patch for Era? The link on page 1 is live, but it is set to private. I've sent a request for access, but I can't say that I have confidence that he would open it up to someone he doesn't know. I certainly wouldn't. I appreciate any assistance that can be rendered. I am looking forward to really getting into Era, but the wide FOV in sea battles does grate the nerves a bit. Just personal taste I suppose.

Thank again!

Thank you sir for allowing me to pillage your Dropbox. There were a few fixes I will find quite helpful, though unless it is included in something larger, or named differently, the Vanilla Camera Fix was not included unfortunately Hopefully, its a file you still have off to the side, yet to be added to the archive. So the quest continues!

Thanks though, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Take another look in there. I found where it had been hidden and moved it where the camera fix can be found.

I'd like to add there is still tons of interest out there for eras module 3 as far as I know. I'm still modeling a ship for it, and Captain Armstrong was also interested in modeling another ship. I sincerely hope that somebody will continue with this effort. With my studies, I don't have time to learn the modding aspect of the game, but the hull modeling is something that fits into my naval architecture major, and it's something I still enjoy.

Ya know, I have been trying to move from POTC to COAS for some time. I worked with Luke 159 until he left, then quit playing GOF. With MK gone I'm wondering how long The Black Knight will stay around here. Maybe I should go back to POTC.

All,

I will stick around here to finish what I started with the HD stuff and upgrading graphics for ships, GUI, characters, and inventory items.
Regardless of my personal disheartenment.

Thats what I do from my military background.
After that, there is only some much time I have to provide.

I am not saying GOF Eras is a dead, but the Storm Engine 2.8 does have serious limitations.
For example draw distance, scaling, and texture size usage.
Modelling is a real pain in the but for this game under Windows 7, because I cannot effectively test models without go back into the game.

I cannot do what I would like without revamping the engine which not my property anyway.
CryEngine 3 can do a lot more efficiently, effectively, and to proper modern graphic standards.

Nonsense. Since they are on the wrong path "TheBlackKnight".
The Storm Engine 2.8 has a lot of potential. If she can not with her, they get it with the CryEngine 3 not out.
The concept is the same for all engine.

For my part I will hang in here as long as I can giving input. :cheers I want this to work because ERAS runs much better on my hardware than POTC does plus it is so rough. There is a lot of work that can be done here.

That said, I have run into a real problem with CTDs which so far looks to be centered on the Black Pearl. There are two versions of the Wicked Wench here, called the Armed English Trader in game which has started appearing. Every appearance so far is accompanied by many errors and CTDs. This could be a game breaker as this ship is suddenly in most every encounter. I lost track of how many CTDs there have been today. 8-12 is a good guess. All I can do is delete any saves with that ship and start over again.

I understand your desire to move to the modern Cryengine and know you can do some real good there. Do what's right by you.

Nonsense. Since they are on the wrong path "TheBlackKnight".
The Storm Engine 2.8 has a lot of potential. If she can not with her, they get it with the CryEngine 3 not out.
The concept is the same for all engine.

I never said it did not have potential, just limitations.
Somethings work well, some do not.
This engine version is over 5 years old!
Things like the "floating flags" and the "demast bug" and texture tearing are really intolerable at this point for an engine.

That is your point, because each engine has its strengths and weaknesses.
Sea landscapes this engine excels.

We will work it, based on what is available.

I would love to know if POTEHO actually uses anything that has been upgraded from Storm Engine 2.8, because from what I have personally played it is the same exact engine with very little changed for sailing models.

Last edited:
For my part I will hang in here as long as I can giving input. :cheers I want this to work because ERAS runs much better on my hardware than POTC does plus it is so rough. There is a lot of work that can be done here.

That said, I have run into a real problem with CTDs which so far looks to be centered on the Black Pearl. There are two versions of the Wicked Wench here, called the Armed English Trader in game which has started appearing. Every appearance so far is accompanied by many errors and CTDs. This could be a game breaker as this ship is suddenly in most every encounter. I lost track of how many CTDs there have been today. 8-12 is a good guess. All I can do is delete any saves with that ship and start over again.

I understand your desire to move to the modern Cryengine and know you can do some real good there. Do what's right by you.

This one is worth testing by me, as the replaced Wicked Wench Model MK used for the Armed English Trader is not causing me the same issues, including battles.
Somethings is this engine, remain a mystery even to me, although like you I can spot inconsistencies quickly.
Big battles can really go off the rails when the masts start bugging out.
But, part of this is due to the models that I reinited back into the game from GOF 1.2 files.

The Wicked Wench is my best guess for the cause of the CTDs as it is the only ship in all encounters now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back