• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Gold

It's easy to check which items you've got equipped and remove those.
It's much harder to randomly select anything else and randomly remove that too.

There could also be the addition of money sinks. What about increasing berthing fees? Adding anchorage fees based on ship class, reputation, and commerce skill? Having to pay for letters of marque against each nation (historical) and having to pay annually to renew these? Plus, the player could always be on the losing end of a boarding action where he is forced to pay out to keep his life and his ship like the NPCs frequently have to do? You could get caught smuggling and have the option to pay off the patrol to let you go free. Based on Luck and Commerce, there could be the chance that a captured ship would fail to be condemned and you would get a really bad price for it. Say, a frigate you captured was worth 550,000 but the shipyard refuses to purchase it for whatever reason and you could be forced to have it broken up and sold as scrap wood (which would appear as plank in your current ship's cargo hold). If you wanted a friendly port to park in, you'd have to pay the governor a certain percentage of your plunder. Your crew or an officer could randomly misbehave in town and you'd have to go to the jail to bail them out. If you have a tendency to have a lot of crew killed on cruises, then your reputation would precede you and you'd have to pay a higher wage to hire more men.

There just aren't enough things to suck money out of the player just yet. And sailors tended to get the financial shaft just about every time their feet hit dry land. It would be neat to have to face similar challenges. A lot of the time I feel like I'm driving my ship around by myself. With the idea about having to bail the crew out of the pokey every now and again, I'd feel more like I was interacting with them. I have no idea if these ideas are even possible within the engine, but it'd be nice to find out.

i know him as 'guy for whom i no longer have the leadership to recrute' and 'bugged quest dude'.

basing things on him doesn't sound too good.

I have never done Nigel Blythe either.

Edgar works for me now, but I save very often until we get off of Jamaica. You need a leadership rating of at least 4 to get him to talk to you. I get that by talking to random townspeople.

There could also be the addition of money sinks. What about increasing berthing fees? Adding anchorage fees based on ship class, reputation, and commerce skill? Having to pay for letters of marque against each nation (historical) and having to pay annually to renew these? Plus, the player could always be on the losing end of a boarding action where he is forced to pay out to keep his life and his ship like the NPCs frequently have to do? You could get caught smuggling and have the option to pay off the patrol to let you go free. Based on Luck and Commerce, there could be the chance that a captured ship would fail to be condemned and you would get a really bad price for it. Say, a frigate you captured was worth 550,000 but the shipyard refuses to purchase it for whatever reason and you could be forced to have it broken up and sold as scrap wood (which would appear as plank in your current ship's cargo hold). If you wanted a friendly port to park in, you'd have to pay the governor a certain percentage of your plunder. Your crew or an officer could randomly misbehave in town and you'd have to go to the jail to bail them out. If you have a tendency to have a lot of crew killed on cruises, then your reputation would precede you and you'd have to pay a higher wage to hire more men.

There just aren't enough things to suck money out of the player just yet. And sailors tended to get the financial shaft just about every time their feet hit dry land. It would be neat to have to face similar challenges. A lot of the time I feel like I'm driving my ship around by myself. With the idea about having to bail the crew out of the pokey every now and again, I'd feel more like I was interacting with them. I have no idea if these ideas are even possible within the engine, but it'd be nice to find out.

Some great points in that lot, and definately worth looking into some more(i've got a list that covers some of that like a more realistic historical 'prizes' model for selling ships etc). The new economy tweak seems to have made easy trade profits pretty hard now, and is still needed testing out, but the main issue of cash from selling captured ships does need some looking into some more. Making lots of money is fine and i'm not in favour of taking that possibility out the game at all, but having things to encourage the player to spend that fortune is also important to avoid the easy hoarding of lots of gold.

I think if some kind of tracker for the population of ship classes between each nation existed, then it would play a main role in determining whether a captured ship would be bought or have to be sold for scrap. Especially with military vessels. Each nation would have a cap on the number of military types it could have, maybe based on islands possessed. If the nation reaches the cap, then it will not purchase any more ships in that class. Let's say you have a really good cruise and carry away 2 5th-rate frigates, but the nation owning the port you call home is 1 ship under the cap. They'll buy one but the other will have to be scrapped. Not a total loss because a scrapped ship will generate trade goods like plank, sailcloth, etc (maybe introduce copper as a trade item) that can be sold, but these would bring far less value than the ship whole.

Having more types of provisions needed would be useful, too. If I upgrade my ship with copper plating, a reinforced hull, and cotton sails, then I should have to purchase copper, oak planks, and cotton sailcloth for repairs, which would naturally cost more.

don't forget about leaving enough room for cargo. on some ships, your supplies can take up almost all your cargo space by themselves.

there's no need to replace them, really. you could just use the repair materials we already have. copper plating would be added in either case though, which i pointed out. how would you logically repair the plating at sea though? it sounds to me like something you'd have to do in a shipyard, which happens already anyway. the only way it could possibly be applied is in those island caves where you can choose to repair your ship if you have the right materials, but that seems a too specific purpose to make it worth adding to me.

your idea of a cap can be implemented far more easily than you think though: shipyards have a limited amount of money. scrapping a vessel is something i'm neither for or against. i guess it could be useful, but i'd probably just scuttle the thing unless i'd really need the money. or sail to another island. i do hope that you'd eventually be able to sell ships again though, or it would rob you of a pretty major income. besides, capturing is a risky business. it should have fitting rewards.

Back