• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Not a Bug Governors Pirate Hunting Quest

Jason

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
The pirate hunting quest in Build 14 Beta 3.1 appears to be bugged. When I complete the quest I get the " ..... here is your reward" dialogue but no money. Then I later when I ask for another mission weeks later I get the thank you dialogue again no matter how many times I ask.

Wha? I fixed those quests months ago!!!

Does anyone else have any issues with them? Do you have a savegame just after completing one, but before collecting the reward?

No, but I could send you one right before I ask for and get the recycled response or I could go to another port and try one.

Jason, the governors quests were bugged and a lot of time was spent fixing them. We all tested them and they worked. If they have become bugged again now is the time to get to work fixing them.

The pirate hunting quests certainly work in Beta 3 because I've been doing them regularly. Admittedly, trusting fool that I am, I didn't check that money had actually gone into my account, though I always heard the "clink" and didn't get the "Thank you" dialogue when asking for the next mission. Last time, though, I checked my cash before and after visiting the governor to get paid, and confirmed that I had indeed been paid.

Jason: Did you ever get paid for a pirate hunting quest, or have they always given that problem for you? Do you have a saved game from before the first quest in which this bug appeared? If so, try reloading it and try the quest again. Otherwise copy your saved games to somewhere safe, re-install the game, start a new game and see if you can get paid (assuming you can actually defeat the target ship at the start of a new game ;)). You can also then copy your saved games back and resume your current campaign.

The pirate hunting quests certainly work in Beta 3 because I've been doing them regularly.
Also with Build MOD Beta 3.1. :yes Here, I just tried one again:

Build MOD Beta 3.1
The Buccaneer
(Ship Hunting Quest)
  • First, I get a Ship Hunting Quest from the governor. (Puerto Rico) seadogs2_0002.jpg
  • And sure it is, the ship is there(see names for proof that it match): seadogs2_0004.jpg seadogs2_0005.jpg
  • Now, after shooting, boarding and capturing the ship, here is my current money: seadogs2_0009.jpg seadogs2_0010.jpg
  • So I go now to the governor to collect my hard-earned reward and look at the money difference: seadogs2_0012.jpg seadogs2_0013.jpg
  • So, The Ship Hunting Quests works just fine.

Attachments

• compile.log
    85.6 KB · Views: 130
  • error.log
    1,001 bytes · Views: 112
  • system.log
    28.8 KB · Views: 104
Then I later when I ask for another mission weeks later I get the thank you dialogue again no matter how many times I ask.
I must say, its really difficult to get another Ship Hunting Quest from the same governor after a few days or more a week, I didn't count it properly but its fairly long time when I went back to Puerto Rico from my post above and its difficult to trigger the quest. Anyway here are my .log files just after having the difficulty. And the exchange of dialog I must say, IS a bit weird but my experience was not the same as the "thank you" dialog Jason have mentioned. But the same kind or error, I am assuming.

Attachments

• compile.log
    84.9 KB · Views: 110
  • error.log
    2.5 KB · Views: 106
  • system.log
    41.9 KB · Views: 109
Puerto Rico isn't an option in my current campaign. I didn't get there early enough to get a Letter of Marque, and since Spain is allied to France and I've been victimising France every way I can, Spain doesn't like me either. Fine, that gives me extra targets at sea! And I haven't bothered asking Silehard for ship hunting jobs because I'm already getting plenty of work from him. That leaves Sao Jorge and Charlestown which I visit regularly, Bonaire which I visit less regularly, and Guadeloupe since I persuaded a diplomat that the fort was flying the wrong flag. :D All of these have given me ship hunting quests any time I've asked for them. Mind you, since I've been running around all over that end of the Caribbean doing various quest related things, it's generally more than a week between visits to the same port - I've never tried completing one ship hunting quest and then asking for another right away, or returning to the same port within a couple of days.

I do remember in Build 13 that once I'd completed all the quests, continued for a while and reached insanely high skill level (along with silly numbers of unused skill and attribute points because everything had been maxed out ages ago), the various governors all stopped giving me ship hunting quests. Perhaps Build 14 does something similar. But it will be some time before I get to that point, and that's assuming I don't abandon the current campaign to install an updated version...

There used to be some bugs preventing ship hunting quests after a while, but I fixed all those and it should now continue working properly.

Indeed there is a delay between completing a ship hunting quest and being able to get another one.
I'm not entirely sure how many days it is though, but I think it is about three days.
The relevant code is quite odd, because it doesn't actually specify a number of days so I've got no clue how that even works.

I get the delay is part of it. When I first reported this weeks had past b/w the first quest and a request for another. Maybe this is just a bad save. I will try again.

Please save before collecting the reward. Then if it happens again, post your savegame here.

Indeed there is a delay between completing a ship hunting quest and being able to get another one.
I'm not entirely sure how many days it is though, but I think it is about three days.
The relevant code is quite odd, because it doesn't actually specify a number of days so I've got no clue how that even works.
Sire, how 'bout reducing the number of days? Maybe that three days you're saying is being interpreted as 3 weeks or a month or more, something, in the game.
Well, I ain't expert on these kind of things. So..:shrug - Its more than 3 days when I went to get another ship hunting quest from the same governor but nah. :facepalm

Should be 3 days yes.
For now I say this isn't a bug cause it can't be replicated. please provide a savegame if it happens again.

As I said on the number of days: I cannot find where it is coded.
Anyway, it IS 3 days and it always worked, so that has nothing to do with it.

Back