• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Graphical Bug - Plain White Waters

Never mind... silly question. I have a full backup of the pre-update install. I'll replace the corrupt modules folder and post the results as soon as I get back from work.

Replacing sea.dll with an older version DOES fix the bug. Thanks so much! All is right again in the waters of the Carribean. <3

Desktop Screenshot 2019.11.10 - 23.05.25.82.png

First, thanks to @Hylie Pistof for saving everyone's Sunday afternoon! :cheers

So, what happened? I was given a new version of "sea.dll" by a trusted source. After renaming my existing "sea.dll" to "sea_orig.dll" in case the new one didn't work, I copied the new one into my game install, where it seemed to work, which is why I put it into the update. When I read about the white sea bug, my first thought was that the problem had to be something else because I hadn't seen any trouble since putting that new "sea.dll" into my game. After creating a new install, including the May 2018 installer and the 8th November update, I did indeed see the white sea in that version. Copying known good versions of everything in "PROGRAM" and "RESOURCE" into this install didn't help, so I wiped it, then created it again. When I copied "MODULES" from my working install into this test install, it worked - the sea was back to blue. Then I copied "MODULES" from the update back onto that install, and the sea was ... still blue! Huh? OK, wipe that install, rebuild again, the white sea is back. Now do a WinMerge comparison between my working version and this version. Nothing suspicious, though that backup "sea_orig.dll" is still in my working install and shouldn't be needed any more because the new "sea.dll" seems to be working, so delete it - and now my working install has a white sea! Whatever is wrong or missing in the new "sea.dll", the system was finding it in the backup "sea_orig.dll". Final experiment - wipe the test install, rebuild it again but this time, don't copy "MODULES" from the update. This produced a nice blue sea. By this time it was late, I was tired and ready for bed, and the following day I was off on the visit.

There's one more twist. The May 2018 installer can be read by 7-Zip. It includes a new version of "sea.dll" - in fact, the exact same version as the one I'd received from the ex-trusted source. But although the installer includes this "sea.dll", it doesn't install it, otherwise we'd have had this problem last year.

Hmnn..so is it better to have both versions of "sea.dll" and just rename the old one? :unsure

EDIT: I couldn't find the MODULES folder on the latest update. Wait so why did it messed up the sea then? :unsure

Last edited:
Hmnn..so is it better to have both versions of "sea.dll" and just rename the old one? :unsure
No! That's what caused me so much confusion. Best is to just have the old version of "sea.dll".
EDIT: I couldn't find the MODULES folder on the latest update. Wait so why did it messed up the sea then? :unsure
That is because I've just re-uploaded the update without the "MODULES" folder so that the next person to download it won't get the white sea. :D

What was so special about the 'supposedly new' sea.dll that made you include it in the first place if you don't mind me asking @Grey Roger? I'm just curious about what your ex-trusted source had in there. :cheeky:woot

Allegedly it was more reliable. In a way, it is. Allegedly the old "sea.dll" can cause crashes, whereas the new "sea.dll" reliably causes a white sea. :p

Ohhh interesting. Can you upload the new sea.dll again? I want to try both out and test it further.

...So, what happened? I was given a new version of "sea.dll" by a trusted source. After renaming my existing "sea.dll" to "sea_orig.dll" in case the new one didn't work, I copied the new one into my game install, where it seemed to work, which is why I put it into the update. When I read about the white sea bug, my first thought was that the problem had to be something else because I hadn't seen any trouble since putting that new "sea.dll" into my game. After creating a new install, including the May 2018 installer and the 8th November update, I did indeed see the white sea in that version. Copying known good versions of everything in "PROGRAM" and "RESOURCE" into this install didn't help, so I wiped it, then created it again. When I copied "MODULES" from my working install into this test install, it worked - the sea was back to blue. Then I copied "MODULES" from the update back onto that install, and the sea was ... still blue! Huh? OK, wipe that install, rebuild again, the white sea is back. Now do a WinMerge comparison between my working version and this version. Nothing suspicious, though that backup "sea_orig.dll" is still in my working install and shouldn't be needed any more because the new "sea.dll" seems to be working, so delete it - and now my working install has a white sea! Whatever is wrong or missing in the new "sea.dll", the system was finding it in the backup "sea_orig.dll". Final experiment - wipe the test install, rebuild it again but this time, don't copy "MODULES" from the update. This produced a nice blue sea. By this time it was late, I was tired and ready for bed, and the following day I was off on the visit....
Hmnn..so is it better to have both versions of "sea.dll" and just rename the old one? :unsure...
No! That's what caused me so much confusion. Best is to just have the old version of "sea.dll"....
What was so special about the 'supposedly new' sea.dll that made you include it in the first place if you don't mind me asking @Grey Roger? I'm just curious about what your ex-trusted source had in there. :cheeky:woot
Allegedly it was more reliable. In a way, it is. Allegedly the old "sea.dll" can cause crashes, whereas the new "sea.dll" reliably causes a white sea. :p
Ohhh interesting. Can you upload the new sea.dll again? I want to try both out and test it further.
Here it is, marked as "faulty" so nobody mistakes it for a useful version. xD
Okay, so I can confirm for now that using both versions of "sea.dll" will have no negative impact in the game regarding the sea. seadogs2_0005.jpg seadogs2_0008.jpg
Thus if the new version "allegedly" reduces crashes or in any way will make the game better then I'm keeping both. xD
I also renamed the old "sea.dll" to "sea_orig.dll". Thank you @Grey Roger for re-uploading it. :dance I will post further details/observation as I progress/spend more time in the game while using both .dll's.

If you see any benefit from keeping both, please let me know. In particular, if you find the game to be noticably more reliable at sea, it will then be worth putting both into the update.

So, what happened? I was given a new version of "sea.dll" by a trusted source. After renaming my existing "sea.dll" to "sea_orig.dll" in case the new one didn't work, I copied the new one into my game install, where it seemed to work, which is why I put it into the update. When I read about the white sea bug, my first thought was that the problem had to be something else because I hadn't seen any trouble since putting that new "sea.dll" into my game. After creating a new install, including the May 2018 installer and the 8th November update, I did indeed see the white sea in that version. Copying known good versions of everything in "PROGRAM" and "RESOURCE" into this install didn't help, so I wiped it, then created it again. When I copied "MODULES" from my working install into this test install, it worked - the sea was back to blue. Then I copied "MODULES" from the update back onto that install, and the sea was ... still blue! Huh? OK, wipe that install, rebuild again, the white sea is back. Now do a WinMerge comparison between my working version and this version. Nothing suspicious, though that backup "sea_orig.dll" is still in my working install and shouldn't be needed any more because the new "sea.dll" seems to be working, so delete it - and now my working install has a white sea! Whatever is wrong or missing in the new "sea.dll", the system was finding it in the backup "sea_orig.dll". Final experiment - wipe the test install, rebuild it again but this time, don't copy "MODULES" from the update. This produced a nice blue sea. By this time it was late, I was tired and ready for bed, and the following day I was off on the visit.
WOW, that's actually quite the epic story!! :shock

I think that confirms my suspicions that ALL .dll files in the MODULES folder are read regardless of their filename.
That means that copying a file and renaming it but keeping it in there could give different results than moving it out of the folder altogether.

There's one more twist. The May 2018 installer can be read by 7-Zip. It includes a new version of "sea.dll" - in fact, the exact same version as the one I'd received from the ex-trusted source. But although the installer includes this "sea.dll", it doesn't install it, otherwise we'd have had this problem last year.
Huh; that's interesting. I can't remember how I did that one worked. o_O

If you see any benefit from keeping both, please let me know. In particular, if you find the game to be noticably more reliable at sea, it will then be worth putting both into the update.
BOTH at the same time? I haven't a clue what impacts that might have.

@konradk, is that something you could say something about?

Huh; that's interesting. I can't remember how I did that one worked. o_O
You didn't. The May 2018 installer was the work of @Mad Jack Wolfe. ;)

BOTH at the same time? I haven't a clue what impacts that might have.
This is exactly what I've been doing, inadvertently, for some time. As far as I can tell, it hasn't had any impact at all. It remains to be seen whether @DavyJack spots something I didn't... (Which is entirely possible, as I don't normally pay much attention to the sea. Either I'm paying attention to an enemy ship or I'm fast-travelling to a port or beach to progress a quest. Occasionally I do a spot of direct-sailing, at x20 time compression. So I'm not exactly a reliable witness about sea details. :D)

I checked your save on an old version and it's an impressive save if I say so myself View attachment 35437 :thumbs1 besides that it was fine View attachment 35438 View attachment 35439.
Unfortunately, a new game is mandatory for the new patch. View attachment 35440 View attachment 35441 so none of my prior saves myself is compatible either. View attachment 35442
So sorry about this. I know it must have taken you quite some time to get that far. :( But hey, look at the bright side, new fixes and stuff for our game :dance

I thought my save would be able to survive the update AND the milky white seas, but alas. Saving a...err, save from the old version crashes my game. Quick save or the normal save both do this. I am using the appropriate globals_old.c, too (renamed to globals.c, of course). Saving works perfectly on the new version and a new save, btw. Anyways, thank you for letting my captain have a little moment in the spotlight, but unless this is a fixable problem, it's now time to let him go on his grand adventure without me :'(

I thought my save would be able to survive the update AND the milky white seas, but alas. Saving a...err, save from the old version crashes my game. Quick save or the normal save both do this. I am using the appropriate globals_old.c, too (renamed to globals.c, of course). Saving works perfectly on the new version and a new save, btw. Anyways, thank you for letting my captain have a little moment in the spotlight, but unless this is a fixable problem, it's now time to let him go on his grand adventure without me :'(
It, unfortunately, was:( an impressive save and I had to at least share it. Well, it seems you know very much how to run the Caribbean though. You'll get back to that status in no time :yes:onya

Back