• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Having issues playing?

Byrkoet

Landlubber
Just wanted to say amazing work on the mod. I used to play this game on the original xbox for hours. Recently got reminded of it, and looked it up and found the mod eventually.

I had a few issues playing the game, after searching through the forums, I couldn't find the necessary remedies. After finding a few solutions, I figured I should post them:
  • Use Nvidia Inspector or the likes, to limit your framerate to 58-60fps. Helps with the animations.
  • Use your GPU driver settings to force vsync on the game. Also helpful with animations and such.
  • Run the game as Administrator, since the game seems to compile stuff at runtime.
  • Run the game with Fullscreen Optimizations disabled and Windows XP (SP2) mode. Installer readme suggest Vista (SP2) for some reason.
  • Running Windowed mode can help with black screens after alt-tabbing. Didn't have this issue before installing the mod.
Looking forward to playing the mod. And also trying out Sea Dogs - To Each His Own (didn't know they released it on steam with English translations).

Last edited:
Thanks, mate! :cheers

Use Nvidia Inspector or the likes, to limit your framerate to 58-60fps. Helps with the animations.
Sounds like you found another solution to the issue we've had here:
Solved - Windows 10: Low Frame Rates Despite (BECAUSE OF!) Good Hardware
Cheers. :woot

Run the game with Fullscreen Optimizations disabled and Windows XP (SP2) mode. Installer readme suggest Vista (SP2) for some reason.
Did you notice a difference between the XP and Vista modes? I think I recommended Vista, because without that, the game would sometimes 'jump' to the bottom left/right of the screen with 75% falling outside the monitor.
I discovered this didn't happen with the Vista mode for me and figured there was no need to use earlier modes.
But I've got no real clue what are the differences between them. :unsure

Running Windowed mode can help with black screens after alt-tabbing. Didn't have this issue before installing the mod.
As far as I'm aware, the unmodded game has the same problem. I think also Age of Pirates/Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales.
They might've fixed it for City of Abanoned Ships/To Each His Own, but I can't quite remember now...

Back