• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help [HELP] Removing ships from GoF

jokash

Sailor
Is there some way of removing some ships from the game, using some game text resource because i dont like seeing ships from 1600 together with ships from 1800. I would like to make ship groups so they fit their periods.

Is there some way of removing some ships from the game, using some game text resource because i dont like seeing ships from 1600 together with ships from 1800. I would like to make ship groups so they fit their periods.

I have been working on a series of mods which do this for months. The rest of the mod team plans to help me once GOF 1.2 is finally fully released (after Beta is complete).

See this post: http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/18278-bounty-hunters/page__pid__416264#entry416264

However if you want to do it yourself (especially if there's one that really bothers you) look at the porting tutorials for all the files that are required to port a ship in and simply follow the reverse. Now I will tell you that this is not always a foolproof way. You must also go into the Island encounters file, AI Fantoms, and Ships Utilities files to ensure that the ship you removed is not required for an encounter some where by a specific faction or as part of a quest or as the ship belonging to one of the NPC characters. So then you must substitute it with something else in one of these other files. You will know real quick if you have this problem, because the game wont run.

Also only do ONE ship at a time. Ensure on the Ships Init file and ships H files that there are no extraneous spaces and that you renumber all the other ships surrounding the one you extracted correctly. Miss one of these steps and the game wont run. Make sure to test the game after each ship to ensure you've cleaned out all it's clutter. Its surprising how many files they are in when you consider RESOURCE textures, models, INI, and pictures. Make sure you also remove the entry from the common file.

One last helpful hint is to do a directory search looking at all interior file syntax content for the name of ship you want to remove. By doing this you get a list of all the files and folders the ship appears in and can review them. Say you want to extract the Cursed Dutchman - (which I have done in my historical period mod). It will show up in all kinds of places as a ship that will show up in encounters, as a bounty hunter ship, as the quest ship, and as Davy Jones NPC ship. By looking through these files you can simply write in new ships of your choice for the one you're extracting.

Have fun. There's no better way to familiarize yourself with the basic code/file structure of the game than with porting in or fully extracting ships.

MK

could i just remove them from some file that dictates which ships apear on sea, i can handle the ocasional mismatch in periods if it is requiered by the game.

Sadly no, i'm not sure if this works (never tested it) but its worth trying.

Open ships_init and add the following line of code to each ship you do not wish to be generated (again might not work).

Code:
	refship.CanEncounter					= false;

Now add this line above the entry that reads. " refship.Type.Merchant" that might work, i can't see why it wouldn't because the Boat and Tartane have that line of code and i have only ever seen the War Tartane generated not the Tartane. If this works then you won't be removing them so you can still purchase them the only difference is you should never see the ships in battles or at harbours.

Hope that helped and hope it works aswell. :onya

I can confirm that this works :onya i removed about a thirty or so ships and i havent met them on world map although they are still buyable in the shipyard.Simpe and effective.Also works with stock ships with no problems.

just forgot to add that you have to start a new game ofcourse..

Luke,

You know this being the case I may have been killing myself for nothing. We could keep all ships but just add a toggle with different ship inits with false set for the ships we don't want in the appropriate era. They would still be at shipyards, but that's up to the player if they want something out of era or not at that point - big deal.

The other things I was changing was flags and uniforms. We would want to change the matchlocks out for muskets on the late era mod as well.

This makes me believe that instead of releasing three seperate mods, that it might actually be possible to actually have it all in the same game with an era selection toggle on the main GUI.

This is a nice find.

MK

Sorry MK i thourght you already knew about this although it hadn't been tested so i wasn't sure if it would work or not till now. But yeah a toggle switch could be added so that ships for each era would be generated while ships for other era's can still be purchased without having to have seperate patches for each era. I'm sure the tuggle can be added to characters textures, so the game will use the correct textures and other things you want to change.

I have been working on a series of mods which do this for months. The rest of the mod team plans to help me once GOF 1.2 is finally fully released (after Beta is complete).

See this post: http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/18278-bounty-hunters/page__pid__416264#entry416264

However if you want to do it yourself (especially if there's one that really bothers you) look at the porting tutorials for all the files that are required to port a ship in and simply follow the reverse. Now I will tell you that this is not always a foolproof way. You must also go into the Island encounters file, AI Fantoms, and Ships Utilities files to ensure that the ship you removed is not required for an encounter some where by a specific faction or as part of a quest or as the ship belonging to one of the NPC characters. So then you must substitute it with something else in one of these other files. You will know real quick if you have this problem, because the game wont run.

Also only do ONE ship at a time. Ensure on the Ships Init file and ships H files that there are no extraneous spaces and that you renumber all the other ships surrounding the one you extracted correctly. Miss one of these steps and the game wont run. Make sure to test the game after each ship to ensure you've cleaned out all it's clutter. Its surprising how many files they are in when you consider RESOURCE textures, models, INI, and pictures. Make sure you also remove the entry from the common file.

One last helpful hint is to do a directory search looking at all interior file syntax content for the name of ship you want to remove. By doing this you get a list of all the files and folders the ship appears in and can review them. Say you want to extract the Cursed Dutchman - (which I have done in my historical period mod). It will show up in all kinds of places as a ship that will show up in encounters, as a bounty hunter ship, as the quest ship, and as Davy Jones NPC ship. By looking through these files you can simply write in new ships of your choice for the one you're extracting.

Have fun. There's no better way to familiarize yourself with the basic code/file structure of the game than with porting in or fully extracting ships.

MK

:ahoy

Can you show me please an actual post for removing ships as described above? Or try to describe me please step by step how to do it? The link doesn`t work anymore! Thanks!

:ship

Here's a working link to that thread, for reference, but it doesn't offer any help with removing ships: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/bounty-hunters.18278/

What you really need is to look at the tutorial for porting ships to AoP2 and 'undo' each of the steps for the required ship(s), as suggested above.
Modernknight1 is no longer present on PA! so he won't be able to help you, but a few other folks might.

Thanks for your help. Can you tell me please why is Modernknight1 banned and no member any more from PA!?

Back