1. Dismiss Notice
  2. GOG.com logo

Thanks to YOUR votes, GOG.com now sells:
    - Sea Dogs - Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales
    - Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

Vote now to add Pirates of the Caribbean to the list!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Under the Crossbones Podcast

A Pirate Podcast with Interviews
    Music, Comedy and all things Pirate!

- Episode Guide - About - Subscribe -
    - Twitter - Facebook - iTunes - Android -
    - Youtube - Fill the Coffers -

Dismiss Notice
  4. New Horizons logo

Quick links for PotC: New Horizons
    - Download latest version
    - Wiki - FAQ - Report bugs here
    - ModDB profile

5. GOF logo

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - Historical Immersion Supermod
    - ModDB Profile

Dismiss Notice
New to the forum?
Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

Solved Help! Slidebar freezes, can't save game

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Roudy, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Roudy

Roudy Landlubber

Hi folks,

I just did a fresh install with my disks of pirates of the carribbean (vanilla, 3 times) on my windows 10 computer. During installation, the game fails to install Windows Media player 9 or Direct X 9, not sure if that is relevant. My windows 10 computer has a version of Direct X and Windows Media player already installed.

The game launches and I can start a new game, graphically everything looks fine with 1 big problem that is preventing me from actually playing the game due to frozen screens. On the start menu, when I move my mouse cursor to select, for example, "New Game", the yellow outline stays on "Options". I uploaded a screen shot below showing this. This isn't freezing the game, but I think is useful information in determining the problem

Pirates of the Carribbean yellow box issue.png

When I start a new game, and go to the trade book, attempting to scroll from one island to the next freezes the screen. Same goes for trying to equip items in the inventory tab, moving from item to item in my cargo hold, anything with the sliding motion. Oddly enough, I also cannot save the game. Pressing "save" doesn't do anything.

Here are my frozen screens caused by attempting to move from one item to the next (for example: from the sapphire ring to the pistol).
    Trade book freeze.png

Frozen inventory screen.png
    This is a weird bug and I haven't found any mention or solution online, so I turn to you good folks. Here are the things I've tried:

Running in Comparability mode (windows xp, windows 98) as well as all possible options in the Comparability menu
    Disabling "Safe Mode" in Configure
    Changing desktop screen resolution to 800x600 instead of 1920x1080
    Installing game in C:/mygames instead of program files

I'm really at a loss here. I love this game, but currently cannot play it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm sorry if the description of the problem was confusing. I had a similar problem on a different computer running windows 7 with a Nvidia graphics card, so I don't think windows 10 is the problem. This seems like some kind of display or resolution error to me, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
    Processor: Intel i7-6700k
    DirectX Version: 12

Thank you for reading!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  2. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

Maritime Research: Project Engineer (Analysis)
    When I tried the game on Windows 10 before, I remember indeed it had some issues with the sliding as it would be very, very slow.
    I have no clue why, but installing our modpack solved the problem in that case.
    Worth a try?

3. Roudy

Roudy Landlubber

Hi Pieter,

I successfully installed build mod 13, and while the sliding has been slightly improved (it doesn't freeze), it's still INCREDIBLY slow. It takes about 15-20 seconds to slide to the next icon.

I also still cannot save my game, so unfortunately it's still unplayable.

Any ideas of what else I might try?

4. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

When I tried it, I it was with one of the Build 14 Beta versions from last year; I didn't try Build 13.
    My recommendation would be to try the latest one: Mod Release - Build 14 Beta 4.1 WIP | PiratesAhoy!
    A lot has changed since then that might affect performance on Windows 10, so chances are that it will make a difference.

Where do you have the game installed? I always strongly recommend to avoid "Program Files" at any and all costs.
    C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean has always served me well.

5. Grey Roger

Grey Roger Sea Dog Staff Member Storm Modder

I can't remember whether Build 13 has the option to run in "Windowed" or "Full Screen" mode. If it does, then whichever setting you're using at the moment, see if the other one works better. Some people have better experience with "Windowed" mode, while my system works noticably better in "Full Screen".

6. Pieter Boelen

Even the stock game had that option. :yes

7. Roudy

Roudy Landlubber

Hi Grey,

I tried running both in windowed and fullscreen, no noticeable difference.

I installed the game in C:/Games/Pirates of the Caribbean, not program files. I think the inability to save has to do with the sliding function.

Pieter, I successfully installed the latest New Horizons build, but the problem persists. It's been the same issue for vanilla, build 13, and New Horizons. Any other ideas? Thank you for your continued support.

8. Pieter Boelen

There were talks on the forum before about using a "framerate limiter" to solve it.
    Maybe there is something useful mentioned in here?
    Solved - Windows 10: Low Frame Rates Despite (BECAUSE OF!) Good Hardware | PiratesAhoy!

9. Roudy

Roudy Landlubber

I read through the thread and it seems like a similar issue to what I'm having. Some people suggested trying to limit framerates to increase performance? Bandicam was mentioned. I installed it and attempted to set fps limitations, but Bandicam doesn't even pick up my game.

I tested it with a different computer game (installed in program files x86) and Bandicam instantly hooked onto the screen, but it won't for Pirates. Now I'm more confused.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  10. Pieter Boelen

Unfortunately this is an issue of some kind with Windows 10, so you will need a workaround of some kind.
    You can either try what has worked for different people before, or you can try to find an alternate solution.
    I don't know any other options than the ones I've already suggested. :shrug

11. Roudy

Roudy Landlubber

Hi Pieter,

I installed the game on my windows 7 laptop, and it actually runs fine now.

I think the problem must be a combination of windows 10, and excessively high frames. I booted up another game from 2003 with bandicam, and saw I was getting 600-700 fps.

I guess I'll just have to play the game on my older computer with windows 7. Thanks for your help.

Pieter Boelen likes this.
  12. Baalzie

Baalzie Landlubber

Professional Procrastinator
    Damned it all! I was hoping for a fic for this. I have a bunch of problems, most I presune is win 10 related. Sometimes dialogues refuse to start when chosen, sometimes quest scripts fdon't fire and you're stuck standing frozen on the spot. (save/reload fixes it, gets thrown into the scripted dialogue instantly after reload) and ofc the infamous sliding problem. I can save alright but in the start menu after choosing load, it refuses to load anything. And changing what file to load takes about 5 minutes per icon of sliding. The fact that the game acknowledges the movements of the mouse and highlighting the menu choices but refuse to act on an actual click, until after abt 10 minutes is... I've never seen that before... O,o

And it's making it impossible to enjoy this game. Since... Well I can't have it running 24/7 that would just make it crash anyway for different reasons... Saving and reloading is kind of essential to this genre... :(

Edit: Okey, a reinstall of Bandycam took care of the sliding problems for me. Set to 120 fps max it runs as a purring kitten atm. So far so good.! :) Happy Pappy!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    Pieter Boelen likes this.
  13. Pieter Boelen

Glad to hear you got it sorted in the end! :cheers

14. Baalzie

Baalzie Landlubber

Professional Procrastinator
    Oh, sorry to whip a dead horse (shouldn't whip living ones it hurts them yeknow) but wanted to add: using the ENB means the Bandicam option fails. the ENB settings seem to overrule any fps limiting set by Bandicam, doesn't even let the fps overlay show if I install that feature. Simple uninstall of the ENB and it works fine. (Lost all my saves after installing 4.1 without copying the saves. *schneef* Also added the ENB, hence I noticed thios "feature")

Totally in gratitude to you guys for creating this fabulous,momentous mod... Amazing...

15. Pieter Boelen

That's a good thing to know! Thanks for that, @Baalzie . :cheers