• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Planned Feature Hints in questbook for lower difficulty on some quests

Levis

Find(Rum) = false;
Staff member
Administrator
Creative Support
Programmer
Storm Modder
I know this is fixed and I haven't read everything close. But would it be an idea to have the "hints" only show up on lower difficulty?

I know this is fixed and I haven't read everything close. But would it be an idea to have the "hints" only show up on lower difficulty?
That would require additional quest texts.

I personally don't consider it important enough to put a lot of effort in (there are bigger fish to fry our there).
But if someone (@Kpax7?) is willing to do it, I'll happily include it in the modpack.

I'd be happy to!
just give me a clue of what needs to be edited and posted back to you.
Thanks!

If you go to:
..\RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\QUESTBOOK

You will see multiple files. They contain the texts for the questbook.
You can change them and add new entries. For the quests you want to add hints find the relevant textfile and edit it with an editor.
Add the quest entry (the syntax should be very straightforward).
Now You should find the place where this entry is added to the questbook.
If you search for this function "AddQuestRecord" in the files in ..\PROGRAM\QUESTS you will find how they are added. Find the relevant one (so the right name and number).
After or before (depeding on where you want the text) you add a line to add the other record. And this should be inclosed in an if statement.
So something like this:
Code:
if(GetDifficulty() < DIFFICULTY_ADVENTURER) AddQuestRecord("Vogelstruijs", 3);

The sidequest questbook files are in RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\QUESTBOOK .
The files you want to add to are artois.txt and Blacques.txt .

Most of the sidequest code is executed through PROGRAM\QUESTS\quests_side.c , which contains the lines that trigger the questbook entries.
Here's the first one for Artois:
Code:
AddQuestRecord("artois", 1);

And here's a (simplified) example of adding an extra questbook entry based on difficulty:
Code:
  if(GetDifficulty() < DIFFICULTY_ADVENTURER) // Hints only on Apprentice and Journeyman
   {
     [...]
         AddQuestRecord("treasure",12);
     [...]
   }
This example comes from PROGRAM\MAXIMUS_functions.c and is used to tell players they need a Pickaxe/Spade to complete certain treasure quests on Apprentice and Journeyman difficulty level.

EDIT: Or what @Levis said. :cheeky

Another option is to add a more detailed version of a quest line depending on difficulty. For example, in "Artois Voysey_dialog.c", case "listed" is where you hire Artois. At the moment this also adds line 2 to the questbook, "The man I've saved is Artois Voysey, and, judging by his word, a good navigator. I made him a member of my crew". If you want to leave a hint at easier difficulty settings that you should next take him to Sao Jorge, you could edit "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\QUESTBOOK\artois.txt", add a line saying something like "The man I've saved is Artois Voysey. I hired him as an officer. I sneaked a look at his diary which says something about #sConceicao# so perhaps I should investigate there" as line 21, and then put this into "Artois Voysey_dialog.c":
Code:
if(GetDifficulty() < DIFFICULTY_ADVENTURER)  AddQuestRecord("artois", 21);
else AddQuestRecord("artois", 2);
That ought to add the modified line to your questbook if you're Apprentice or Journeyman, and add the original line if you're higher.

I did something similar to the "Angelique Moulin" sidequest except that it's dependent on period, not difficulty level. You get a different reward sword in "Early Explorers" and a different questbook entry to match.

@Kpax7, are you still intending to do something with this? Otherwise I'll call it "Abandoned" for now.

@Kpax7, are you still intending to do something with this? Otherwise I'll call it "Abandoned" for now.
I'm really sorry. It isn't abandoned in my mind, and as I told you in the PM my RL is blocking between me and the game for now. Really busy...
But if this topic is really hurting to remain open for a while, do as it suits your needs.
this topic is like a minimized window in my mind and is also bothering me but I can't neither close it nor maximize it lol

Maybe in the meantime we could already make a list of places where hints would be usefull?
I think @A.H and @Grey Roger and @Talisman have some thoughts about that.

Sorry, but this feature does not really interest me. Besides, such time as I have for programming is going on the extension to "Hornblower".

Sorry, but this feature does not really interest me. Besides, such time as I have for programming is going on the extension to "Hornblower".
I know. Only thing I ask is when you find something which is not clear to mention it. You've played quite some part of the game lately. You might have encountered a few places where it was a bit unclear where to go. Just mention these moments.

Well on first thought.. either capital cities of nations @ governor mansion, or taverns perhaps. :checklist
I think @Levis meant specific quests where the dialog or questbook texts are potentially confusing and that should perhaps be clarified.

Back