• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Historical Questions pertinent to Build Mod

stljeffbb

Sailor Apprentice
Storm Modder
Hello everyone!

I've been having great fun working with the Open Sea mod for Directsail and Build 14....I've been plowing through earlier threads trying to find answers to my questions, but in my zeal to create something fairly "realistic" I submit to those who have knowledge or ideas on the following topics:

1) I'm wondering how much real-life ship traffic there was on the Caribbean, in particular how much traffic existed during each of the defined periods set out here in Potc B14 (Early Explorers, Golden Age of Piracy, etc...)

2) I'm wondering how much flotsam of value was encountered during a real-life "typical" voyage....I suppose the later the date is, the more there might have been

3) I've been looking in a few places to try to find published logs of ships from the past, of course especially those in the Caribbean...any leads on this?

4) Any good books in general to recommend concerning Caribbean life and/or piracy?

5) One more...for those who have been on the open sea or large inland lakes...what is the typical distance by naked eye or "light" aid (as in a pair of cheap binoculars for example) a ship can be seen from? Of course I assume this will be affected by things like daylight and weather conditions, and based on my own experiences I've thought it is about one to two miles...but I defer to those who know! :)

Thanks in response for any replies....

Jeff

5. That's about the only one I can give you any guidance on. As a rule of thumb, I generally go with "the horizon is about 12 nautical miles away".
You can see big ships crop up over the horizons further away, with me being able to see the positively huge Allure of the Seas at over 20 miles.
At night, it's pretty much the same with modern navigation lights, but that would've bee different in the Age of Sail, of course.

5. That's about the only one I can give you any guidance on. As a rule of thumb, I generally go with "the horizon is about 12 nautical miles away".
You can see big ships crop up over the horizons further away, with me being able to see the positively huge Allure of the Seas at over 20 miles.
At night, it's pretty much the same with modern navigation lights, but that would've bee different in the Age of Sail, of course.

Thanks much Pieter Boelen... :dance

In the game, it seems that in good weather, and just a guess based on my game experiences (as I am now testing pretty much exclusively in "Iron Man" mode), you can see a ship about 4000 yards out or so...maybe a bit more...so lets say about two nautical miles....

Hmm....wow twelve nautical miles...I did not know...my experiences are solely on the Great Lakes, as my dad owns a 47-footer and I've ben out with him a few times...I kind of do not think that making the DIRECTENCOUNTERDISTANCE setting to, what would it be, about ten nautical miles so 21000 yards (!) would work very well in the game....you would never see the ships sighted, lol! So, we will have to likely fudge on this one a bit...of course, I recall in the battle of Jutland hits at 19000 yards, but 12-inch shells we have not!

Jeff

4) Any good books in general to recommend concerning Caribbean life and/or piracy?

Try :-

Pirates - Adventurers of the High Seas by David F. Marley

or

Life Among The Pirates - The Romance and the Reality by David Cordingly

or

Harry Morgans Way - Biography of Henry Morgan by Dudley Pope
( gives a good background to how & why Buccaneering & Piracy developed in the Caribbean )

:cheers

Back