• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

HMS Surprise

I figured it out. In the V2 folder the "HMS_Surprise_mast2.gm" is the file that is causing the CTD. The V1 works for me and the walk/ sailorpoints work well with the exception of going bellow to the gundeck as you know. There is also no lower rigging on ether of the versions and no sails on V2.
dunno.gif

Let me know when you finish her. I can't wait to have her ass one of my ships.
danse1.gif

Ah, there was a problem with mast 2 at one point, but I think Jack did fix it. Can't remember where he uploaded the fixed version though.
As for lacking sails and rigging, those files really are the bare bones; not many locators.
That's why Jack asked me to finish them off, but I never predicted to have still not finished by now. :facepalm
And once I do finish her, you'll know about it... ;)

Hi, thanks to both you very much, for the fixed mast, i have uploaded it on the ftp, but i don't remember in what folder... Please can you link me the ftp url? Usually i use filezilla, but i have it only on my pc...

Sorry, I can't find where you uploaded the file. :mm
I guess you may have used Filezilla, because I just can't find a reference to where I got it from.
Either way, what matters is that I do now have all the required model files (except the walk patch) to finish the ship. :dance
But if anyone else needs that mast, I can easily upload it.

Hear you go Jack. I believe this is where you put the file.

ftp://potc@piratesahoy.net@74.54.143.226/Jack%20Harrison/HMS_Surprise_film
Oh, one more thing. Or maybe two, the path on the Surprise is visible in-game and 2, how does one make or fix a path for a ship?

Do you need anything else from me?

the path on the Surprise is visible in-game
To fix that, just make it use a completely blank transparent texture. That's what I did. :onya

As for other favours, I think there aren't any more at this stage; that walk patch is the last piece of the GM puzzle.
To fix/make one, I think you just need to literally model it to fit the ship's deck (while avoiding masts, cannons etc).
I would try myself, since we have several ships in PotC which have incorrect walk patches, but I just can't figure out exporting to GM format through Maya. :facepalm

Good work with her. Im looking forward to test her.

I got here little tiny thing from books of Patrick O'Brian. Sketches of all ships from books and comparison of their size.
I think it may be usefull not only with moddeling of THE ships of Jack Aubrey.
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/26338567/SHIPS.7z

Dont worry, its not story content itself, just some extras, so its 100% legal.

Hi everyone, yesterday night i've finished a new ship, that was for me a way to try some new plugins that i've found for sketchup, the ship's a 14 gun brig, in the early 19th style, i modeled also the interior, because i'm testing the possibility of make a walk path that allow to have access in the ship interior's parts under water line, when i tested it i'll upload the gm file on the ftp, so if someone want to finish it with ropes can, in this i made also an accurate path... The new project's to make the surprise more lowpoly, but no worry, no more locator work after because i conserve the position were it is on the space...

I got here little tiny thing from books of Patrick O'Brian. Sketches of all ships from books and comparison of their size.
I think it may be usefull not only with moddeling of THE ships of Jack Aubrey.
That does sound useful, but that link seems to be broken at the moment. It doesn't show a file, just a 'URL not found' screen. :?

So if you wanted you could release her for CoAS right now right?
Not yet, there are still staysails and some other locators to be placed.
But all the cannons work and the current rigging seems good, so when you look at it that way there isn't a huge amount left to do...
... he says, having dragged this on much longer than originally expected. Maybe if I had been more organised, the ship would have been out just after Christmas. :facepalm

the ship's a 14 gun brig, in the early 19th style, i modeled also the interior, because i'm testing the possibility of make a walk path that allow to have access in the ship interior's parts under water line
That sounds interesting! Not sure how that would fit into the game yet, but I reckon it might work... :woot

Here you are the photos, what do you think? I re-watched the film and i'm texturing her more like the film...

One problem I've noticed with Surprise in COAS is that the back windows look kind of like static snow on a television set. They sparkle way too much. Any way to stop that?

MK

Those links don't work for me.
Me neither, you may need to change them, Jack. :shrug

EDIT: scratch that, it seems to affect lots of other links too. So it's not your fault. :wacko:

For those who are wondering exactly how much progress I have made with the Surprise, here's what's left to do:
  • Rigging (staysails and a few more ropes, that is)
  • Accurate walk patch
  • Fix the camera issue (when fully zoomed out, the camera centres too high up the ship)
And here's how I plan to do it:
  • I have an accurate image of the staysail layout which I will use as a reference
  • (I need someone else who knows how to do this)
  • (same as above)
I am also aware that Jack is upgrading the model slightly, but that shouldn't affect my locator work.
But essentially, once all of the above is finished, it's release time! :woot

EDIT: one more thing, I need some accurate stats for her. Can anyone contribute some information, here?

I'd say that she had officially 28 gun, plus 2, 197 souls on board, she was fast, more than the most part of other frigates, first she was the french Unite', if you need some in particular ask ;)

Would you happen to know the highest gun calibre she should carry? :rolleyes:
And any ideas of exact speed, and the year of launch?

This looks amazing. I watched the film again just now because of this topic! XD

One question. From the images i seen so far, are there not going to be any cannons for the bow and aft side?

Back